Discounted match day tickets for ST holders

Bit out of the blue this, been thinking about it for a bit but just not been bothered to put it into a thread.

With attendances down and fans regularly bemoaning the cost of match day tickets, does anybody else think it would be a good idea for the club to introduce a scheme where ST holders can “bring a friend” for a set price or discounted price? A friend of mine is a casual football supporter, he’s never really had a football team but year on year he’s coming to more games with me. He works shifts so most of the time it’s a random on the Day decision to come to match but this season has been put off by match Day prices of £34, £35, £36 which is quite steep if I say so myself.

With around 5000 regular empty seats at home games this season, why not offer ST holders an additional match day ticket at discount or £25? The seats are better off being filled in my opinion, it brings extra revenue into the club and you turn the casual fans into more regular fans.

Thoughts everybody? 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Bit out of the blue this, been thinking about it for a bit but just not been bothered to put it into a thread.

With attendances down and fans regularly bemoaning the cost of match day tickets, does anybody else think it would be a good idea for the club to introduce a scheme where ST holders can “bring a friend” for a set price or discounted price? A friend of mine is a casual football supporter, he’s never really had a football team but year on year he’s coming to more games with me. He works shifts so most of the time it’s a random on the Day decision to come to match but this season has been put off by match Day prices of £34, £35, £36 which is quite steep if I say so myself.

With around 5000 regular empty seats at home games this season, why not offer ST holders an additionalaych day ticket and discount or £25? The seats are better off being filled in my opinion, it brings extra revenue into the club and you turn the casual fans into more regular fans.

Thoughts everybody? 

You have given this a lot of thought and come up with a rational idea that could help both club and fans.

You're going to get battered for this on here.  

7 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

They wouldn't do that,  it would drive the totally opposite behaviour they are looking for with their demand based pricing business model. 

Is that even operating anymore though? Tickets seem to have to set prices now where as before they fluctuated, I remeber tickets going past the £40 mark on match day with that demand based pricing. A couple friends of mine paid close to £45 for the 5-0 forest thrashing, I’m sure it was worth every penny at the time though mind!

It's a tough one. We took two friends to the Villa match and it cost them £35 each. A third friend opted out at that price but if we could have found a 4th we'd have got 20% discount off all four tickets.

Personally not too worried about casual fans getting in cheaper than me on occasions but if it happened regularly then I think I might have an opinion on it! 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Personally not too worried about casual fans getting in cheaper than me on occasions but if it happened regularly then I think I might have an opinion on it! 

Perhaps they could have certain games that are selected for the discounted price?  Games where the club expect a lower attendance? 

14 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

The club are in a cleft stick as they could discount the spare seats by up to 50% and have a fire sale for the seats that weren't going to be sold thus recooping some revenue, this would just then alienate season ticket holders though.

No I agree, I’d be miffed if tickets were on sale for less than my ticket averages out which is £18 a game. ST holders won’t be aggrieved if they’re passing on the discount to friends.

The club is always looking to grow the club and reach out to the next generation of fans the more individuals you get coming through the turnstiles is better for the club.

What does a Season Ticket work out at per game? Average ST is about what £350? Works out at just over £15 per game. I can never see the justification for £30 plus tickets being that if they were cheaper ST holders would feel ripped off. Surely approx. £5 more for on the day sales is enough of a difference to satisfy ST holders that they are getting a bargain, simply for being able to attend every match and pay for it in advance?

Nice idea in the OP and it would be a good option, but in practice it may be difficult in certain areas of the ground to seat people together, which wouldn't be so attractive, then you'd have folks moaning that they can't take advantage of the offer...

The club needs to work harder for the young fans to fill the empty seats, hook em young, keep them through their teens and early 20’s when lots of other distractions tempt them away and you have a fan for life. I must state this isn’t an unbiased view as i have 2 lads at Uni age. Derby are one of the few clubs in England who class anyone over 18 as an adult, regardless of whether they are in Education, apprenticeship or whatever. This is bound to drive fans away at an age  where keeping them is hard enough anyway. As the average age of a football fan is now way over 40 it’s more vital than ever to encourage the next generation 

50 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Nice idea in the OP and it would be a good option, but in practice it may be difficult in certain areas of the ground to seat people together, which wouldn't be so attractive, then you'd have folks moaning that they can't take advantage of the offer...

That last bit is a worry, no doubt people who couldn’t take up the offer would start moaning and ruin it for the people who could like every thing else in life. Can only talk about my own situation but I wouldn’t be prepared to move my ticket to accommodate somebody else (there’s four of us that sit together anywhere so moving all of us would be impossible) and my friend wouldn’t bother coming unless he could get a seat next to me but that’s just my circumstances.

Obviously there's a certain context to why this is happening but Sunderland are currently offering ticket packages to 'friends of ST holders' where it's 4 games for £30. I know a few folk who've got involved for those prices. Not all of them even support Sunderland but  at £7.50, you may as well.

An absolute bargain but i think they're desperate for bums on seats. No doubt it's caused a few moans but as one off, fair play.

The bottom corner of seats in the GG corner should be given away to u16 - u12 on a first come first served basis.

Let the kids go with their mates, get them sucked in to DCFC at that age and it'll never leave them. 

Currently there's nowhere young groups can gather in the ground, instead they're scattered around the ground with parents.

Let the junior ultras have that corner, give em reduced prices on fruit shoots etc, and let the E-numbers do the rest.

5 hours ago, Inglorius said:

The club are in a cleft stick as they could discount the spare seats by up to 50% and have a fire sale for the seats that weren't going to be sold thus recooping some revenue, this would just then alienate season ticket holders though.

As a ST holder I would love the club to fill the empty seats, even for a fiver, as long as they sung all match, in fact if they don’t sing they should be banned for life.

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

It's a good idea, as long as the friend doesn't want to sit with the ST holder as that would be impossible. 

Well at sunderland, the 'friend' sits as close as is feasible. But as my friends have pointed out, this pretty means sit where you like due to the amount of empty seats. 

I went to the Newcastle match yesterday; £10. 

Archived