Manchester United F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, curtains said:

Sheff U weren’t tired so why were we and why did he play BradlJohnson in his most useless position in a holding 2 with Huddlestone 

The whole "why is this team tired when this team isn't" argument is ******** when you factor in different play styles. Allowing the other team to have the ball doesn't reduce the amount of work you're doing, it increases it. 

Why he played Johnson and where is part of a different discussion. You should probably ask Rowett.

Just now, SaintRam said:

The whole "why is this team tired when this team isn't" argument is ******** when you factor in different play styles. Allowing the other team to have the ball doesn't reduce the amount of work you're doing, it increases it. 

Why he played Johnson and where is part of a different discussion. You should probably ask Rowett.

We weren’t tired we were tactically outplayed by a well drilled Sheff U team as we were at their place. 

Just now, curtains said:

We weren’t tired we were tactically outplayed by a well drilled Sheff U team as we were at their place. 

It was both, actually.

The players were clearly tired. No-one in a Derby shirt could sprint after 50 min or so.

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Poor that then 

Brian Clough would have had um in training next day. 

Of course. 

Work rate was 90% of football back then.

That's what his son focuses on too, and that's going really well.

All I'm saying is I'd like us to play full strength but I wont be upset if we don't. Thats an opinion that will remain unchanged no matter how much you whinge about Bradley Johnson being played.

Rowett's gotten his tactics wrong a few times this season, far less than most managers in the league. I'm comfortable letting him make whichever call he thinks is right for an unimportant cup game in Manchester.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Of course. 

Work rate was 90% of football back then.

That's what his son focuses on too, and that's going really well.

All I'm saying is I'd like us to play full strength but I wont be upset if we don't. Thats an opinion that will remain unchanged no matter how much you whinge about Bradley Johnson being played.

Rowett's gotten his tactics wrong a few times this season, far less than most managers in the league. I'm comfortable letting him make whichever call he thinks is right for an unimportant cup game in Manchester.

All games are important and you need to test yourself against the best and losing 8-0 with the reserves would be terrible for morale .

Rowett is doing well but this tiredness thing doesn’t work for me with him saying he wants to trim the squad. 

Its a total contradiction 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

All games are important and you need to test yourself against the best and losing 8-0 with the reserves would be terrible for morale .

Rowett is doing well but this tiredness thing doesn’t work for me with him saying he wants to trim the squad. 

Its a total contradiction 

Losing 8-0 with the first team would be worse for morale.

If Lawrence doesn't make Friday, then I'd like to see one from the academy give a chance out wide, if we have such a player. Russell and Weimann are too similar.

Can't see too many changes though, and Rowett said as much in his interview.

I'm gonna guess at:

Carson; Wisdom, Davies, Keogh, Forsyth; Huddlestone, Ledley; Lawrence, Vydra, Weimann, Winnall.

Bench: Mitchell, Baird, Russell, Martin, Bennett, Thorne, Johnson

1 minute ago, curtains said:

True but playing the U23s increases the odds. 

Just take the game seriously or pull out the FA Cup. 

If we make 5 changes for league games I doubt making the same more slightly more for the cup can be dubbed "not taking it seriously".

I'm not suggesting we should play the U23s and I don't think anyone is. If that's the scenario you're so stubbornly arguing against I think you're shouting angrily at the wind while facing the wrong way.

Just now, SaintRam said:

If we make 5 changes for league games I doubt making the same more slightly more for the cup can be dubbed "not taking it seriously".

I'm not suggesting we should play the U23s and I don't think anyone is. If that's the scenario you're so stubbornly arguing against I think you're shouting angrily at the wind while facing the wrong way.

No mate I’m going to the game and paying good money and I want to see our strongest possible team. 

Have you paid to go ! 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

No mate I’m going to the game and paying good money and I want to see our strongest possible team. 

Have you paid to go ! 

It's the question mark you're looking for, not the exclamation mark.

But no, I'm not. I can't go to football matches due to my health problems. 

I'll be watching with my American friends though, I've got more riding on this game than you might realise. I've been talking up Derby for years and this is the first chance my friends have had to watch a game.

Just now, SaintRam said:

It's the question mark you're looking for, not the exclamation mark.

But no, I'm not. I can't go to football matches due to my health problems. 

I'll be watching with my American friends though, I've got more riding on this game than you might realise. I've been talking up Derby for years and this is the first chance my friends have had to watch a game.

Sorry about your health problems mate that’s not nice. 

Not questioning your support for DCFC at all  

Ok I’ll agree to disagree.

Up the Rams  

Really don't get all the comments about swapping the team. We played Monday , we play Friday that's enough of a break then we don't play again untill the 13th. 

I personally can' wait for this , taking the Mrs to her first away game. Think we should go: 

Carson 

Wisdom   Keogh   Davies   Ollson

Huddlestone  Thorne 

Lawrence      Vydra        Weimann 

Winnall 

When the draw was made I said how much this tie would help us. Since then, we've been unbeaten and have risen through the ranks to end up two points clear in the automatic places. The reward for those players should be a trip to Old Trafford. They've all partly been playing for a place on this teamsheet. I disagree with @Boycie's opening post in that I'd be thrilled with a draw and a replay and a chance to get a whole load more revenue and give more of our massive squad the chance to test themselves against one of the best, but this is a game for a strong side. But if we play a weakened team on Friday then it will be a betrayal of what they've done and will destroy morale and we will start sliding down the table.

Sometimes in sport you have to fight and go for it and, even if you lose, you have gained something. Play our best team and lose and they will be desperate for another go and the chance to show next year that they can hold their own their. Win or draw and they will be on fire for next few league games. After this game there is a long pause to rest and regroup before we go again against Birmingham.

Rowett effectively said in his Blades post-match that Thorne would play in this (great) and because Ledley has missed two games through injury and Johnson wasn't fit on his return, no one can complain. And it should prove to Gary (as if more proof were needed) that it's Thorne we need for the run in to shore up the midfield and better link defence and attack.

Can't wait. In previous years we've played some of the top teams in the cups and never once looked like threatening them - we haven't even had a go. Rowett's Derby is different. On his day Vydra can score against any team, even if feeding off scraps. Winnall and Nugent too. I want to see us make it a proper contest and not some meek submission.

Come on you Rams!

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

When the draw was made I said how much this tie would help us. Since then, we've been unbeaten and have risen through the ranks to end up two points clear in the automatic places. The reward for those players should be a trip to Old Trafford. They've all partly been playing for a place on this teamsheet. I disagree with @Boycie's opening post in that I'd be thrilled with a draw and a replay and a chance to get a whole load more revenue and give more of our massive squad the chance to test themselves against one of the best, but this is a game for a strong side. But if we play a weakened team on Friday then it will be a betrayal of what they've done and will destroy morale and we will start sliding down the table.

Sometimes in sport you have to fight and go for it and, even if you lose, you have gained something. Play our best team and lose and they will be desperate for another go and the chance to show next year that they can hold their own their. Win or draw and they will be on fire for next few league games. After this game there is a long pause to rest and regroup before we go again against Birmingham.

Rowett effectively said in his Blades post-match that Thorne would play in this (great) and because Ledley has missed two games through injury and Johnson wasn't fit on his return, no one can complain. And it should prove to Gary (as if more proof were needed) that it's Thorne we need for the run in to shore up the midfield and better link defence and attack.

Can't wait. In previous years we've played some of the top teams in the cups and never once looked like threatening them - we haven't even had a go. Rowett's Derby is different. On his day Vydra can score against any team, even if feeding off scraps. Winnall and Nugent too. I want to see us make it a proper contest and not some meek submission.

Come on you Rams!

Superb. Agree with all of this ^

Why are people wanting us to rest loads of players - there's 8 days after this game to the Brum one, then 6 to the Bristol game. If 8 days rest isn't enough rest then they shouldn't be professional footballers - especially when 5000+ fans are paying good money to make a long night trip. That said, there is clearly no point risking any injury doubts. 

I'd go with (if all fit)

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Ollson 

Ledley Thorne

Lawrence Vydra Johnson 

Winnall

I really hate when we play Johnson outwide in some home games as when we're on the front foot he's a waste of time out there, far too clunky. But away from home or in tricky games he's very useful and offers more cover. I don't see the point in breaking the Keogh/Davies combo. Cup game could also be a 0 risk way of getting Thorne more minutes. If Lawrence isnt 100% i'd put Russell in instead, who has played better than Weimann in the last two games imo, and save Tom for Brum. 

With Mourinho's tantrums at the moment, imagine the post match presser if we win :D.

Archived