Broadband Compensation

Day

Full Story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-41940505

From 2019 they will get £8 a day if a fault is not fixed, paid as a refund through their bill.

This is less than the £10 that was proposed when Ofcom began its consultation earlier this year.

Providers will also have to pay £5 a day if their broadband or landline is not working on the day it was promised.

If an engineer misses an appointment, they will have to give £25 in compensation.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, David said:

Full Story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-41940505

From 2019 they will get £8 a day if a fault is not fixed, paid as a refund through their bill.

This is less than the £10 that was proposed when Ofcom began its consultation earlier this year.

Providers will also have to pay £5 a day if their broadband or landline is not working on the day it was promised.

If an engineer misses an appointment, they will have to give £25 in compensation.

Peanuts compared to the disruption caused when bt open reach don’t fix things quickly

Its amazing how much we rely on broadband and the internet, when you go away on holiday even you see people messing about on their phones online, how about talk to each other?

Imagine if broadband went down for a week, would we day 1 be pulling our hair out demanding to get online, by day 7 we might all be thinking what was the fuss?

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Its amazing how much we rely on broadband and the internet, when you go away on holiday even you see people messing about on their phones online, how about talk to each other?

Imagine if broadband went down for a week, would we day 1 be pulling our hair out demanding to get online, by day 7 we might all be thinking what was the fuss?

Socially it might have less of an impact than people assume but business wise a loss of internet access can be absolutely devastating. I wouldn't be able to do my job in it's current form without it.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

We went to a Croatian island last year where the apartment had no internet and was in the middle of nowhere. It was weird at first, but by the end of it we were fully liberated.

You don't stop to realise how quickly this has all happened. My 7 year old has no concept of a world previous where nothing was wirelessly connected to a network, or that we didn't all used to carry round a device in our pockets that is a phone, calculator, watch, camera, music player, cinema, address book, map and all-knowing computer!

Yet I'm not even sure I had a smart phone when he was born. In fact I already can't even remember when I first got a smart phone!

1 hour ago, mastah said:

Internet is now one of the basic necessities for someone to live in the modern world; Water, Gas, Electricity, Broadband.

Yes but if electricity isn’t working you get it fixed straightaway if telephone or broadband doesn’t work it takes several days or more for bt to fix it. They’re still a monopoly and it shows. 

On 10/11/2017 at 12:59, StivePesley said:

We went to a Croatian island last year where the apartment had no internet and was in the middle of nowhere. It was weird at first, but by the end of it we were fully liberated.

You don't stop to realise how quickly this has all happened. My 7 year old has no concept of a world previous where nothing was wirelessly connected to a network, or that we didn't all used to carry round a device in our pockets that is a phone, calculator, watch, camera, music player, cinema, address book, map and all-knowing computer!

Yet I'm not even sure I had a smart phone when he was born. In fact I already can't even remember when I first got a smart phone!

Indeed. I don't access the internet at all on holiday, ever. Phone is generally switched off altogether and if not off, then wifi/mobile data disabled. I want a break from being "on" all the time and plugged into the world. Having holidayed with friends and seeing how stressed they can become when even running low on battery you see it for the huge addiction problem it is - can't switch off at all. Must admit if it wasn't for work I'd happily give the smart phone up and go back to something which just handles calls.

On 10/11/2017 at 12:59, StivePesley said:

Exactly, I can remember going abroad and excitedly buying a paper which was 1 day old trying to catch up with sport before the days of Sky and the internet. Seems like a different world. 

Not directly broadband compensation, but I noticed my Virgin Media bill has gone up £5 a month, so I just called them to downgrade my TV package to the next tier down.

Guess what turns out that £5 less a month, I can actually get the next tier UP with an extra 30 channels?!

How the **** do they get away with that? I've had an unbroken contract with the cable company since 1994 when Nynex first cabled the street, and here we are 23 years later letting them knowingly carry on charging people more for a smaller set of channels than the standard package. Rob dogs

Luckily I'm off work today - so plenty of time to write that formal letter of complaint. I've literally got all day :lol:

2 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Not directly broadband compensation, but I noticed my Virgin Media bill has gone up £5 a month, so I just called them to downgrade my TV package to the next tier down.

Guess what turns out that £5 less a month, I can actually get the next tier UP with an extra 30 channels?!

How the **** do they get away with that? I've had an unbroken contract with the cable company since 1994 when Nynex first cabled the street, and here we are 23 years later letting them knowingly carry on charging people more for a smaller set of channels than the standard package. Rob dogs

Luckily I'm off work today - so plenty of time to write that formal letter of complaint. I've literally got all day :lol:

I had nothing but trouble with Virgin when we moved house, set us up as a new customer (even though we had been with them for 7 years!) charged us a double bill after one month of moving, when we refused to pay the full amount, see if we could set up payment plan they refused because we were "new customers" and they don't offer payment plans to new customers, so we paid it, they then changed our payment date without telling us, and after 6 months the price doubled, when called to find out why "oh it was an introductory offer for new customers" cancelled that straight away set up with Sky. Not had a single problem since, and every 3 months or so we get a free dvd.

It never ceases to amaze me that when I shout upstairs for my step kids for any thing they never appear. Turn off the internet and they appear before i walk away from the power button.

As soon as we land away on holiday, the first thing they do is check the internet so they can talk to the guys they have gone on holiday to get away from.

Archived