NHS

Angry Ram

Just now, Gritters said:

I know a pensioner who got a prescription for some paracetamol and travelled 5 miles to pick them up rather than buy some at the supermarket. The funny thing about it is they live in a £500k + house and has a pension as good as most peoples salaries.

Madness. 

Its hard for me to criticise too much as im on a drug that costs £42k a year. But then I think well I need that and if everyone who gets stuff like paracetamol on prescription bought it themselves then maybe someone else could have a drug like mine. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, MrsRam said:

People like free things (I don't mean your mum Paul) and they like to get their moneys worth.

We have a poster up at work £9000,000 a month on missed appointments in our trust - that's nearly a million pounds (for those of you who don't know lol) EVERY MONTH.   Makes me weep. 

Could not make out if that was 9 mill or 9 thousand. I guess you mean £900,000?

Just now, Paul71 said:

Madness. 

Its hard for me to criticise too much as im on a drug that costs £42k a year. But then I think well I need that and if everyone who gets stuff like paracetamol on prescription bought it themselves then maybe someone else could have a drug like mine. 

Exactly. 

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Madness. 

Too right it wouldn't surprise me if the pharmaceutical companies were selling the paracetamol at £42k a year to the NHS.

37 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Hope all OK.

Thanks for that. Yes, seemingly so, but had to go back today to have her eyes examined, as they thought yesterday she might have an eye abnormality. But no, excellent eyesight for her age and no problems. Of course, she now lives in fear and dread of it happening again.

They also re-examined the brain scan and are happy with that. Apparently, the eye ward is is always exceptionally busy but from getting the car park ticket to returning to the car afterwards (a long walk) was a tad over 2 hours, and she saw three separate doctors. Walsgrave Hospital gets the thumbs up from me; infinitely preferable to the LRI and much easer to get to.

One gripe (I'll put it in the random annoyances thread too). Of all things on the planet, the one thing it is impossible to estimate is how long you're going to be on a hospital visit, but the car parks are all pre-pay. This one only took coins and was £4.30 for up to 3 hours. Luckily, we just managed to scrape it together. Some poor sods hadn't got enough coinage. God knows what they did.

7 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Could not make out if that was 9 mill or 9 thousand. I guess you mean £900,000?

Haha that's why I explained it, even I didn't know :whistle:

43 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

The NHS must waste loads of money on stupid prescriptions. My mum recently had to be prescribed aspirin...aspirin ffs...she was moaning how long it took to dispense them, I told her go buy them next time they are only 20p a packet. 

Anything you can buy for pennies from Morrison's or wherever should not be available on prescription.

I agree with that. I once had a doctor who woiuld say 'you can buy this at any supermarket for less than a quid. Surely you don't want to pay £x for a prescription'

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

We have yet to have a fundamental debate on what we, as a nation, want our health service to be about. The original 1946 Act contained the following objective as its section 1.1

This is a good point.. 1946 Is a long time ago, things change, perhaps we do need to realise that an all encompassing NHS is impossible to have. What should be covered as a basic? Anything else by insurance and private.. Cosmetic etc. 

Should you be billed for a missed appointment? Yes IMO if not enough notice is given.. 

As an aside, we hear lots about a 24/7 365 service. Well we do in hospitals in the main. The big issue for me was the support services that don’t.. Many a time my old mum was ready to come out but as the care team had not done their bit, she was stuck.. Sometimes for days.. The whole thing is broken.. Management, staff, patients, government, suppliers... Everyone.

3 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I agree with that. I once had a doctor who woiuld say 'you can buy this at any supermarket for less than a quid. Surely you don't want to pay £x for a prescription'

Its those that get them free, I do but wouldn't dream of asking for stuff like that.

1 hour ago, MrsRam said:

I work in the NHS - just moved to a big department seeing over 150 patients a day (not me obv) and the one thing that annoys me more than anything is the people that don't turn up.  The ones that phone an hour before their appointment time, what is that all about? You probably moaned to me that you had to wait about 4 weeks for your appointment in the first place - we could have filled that four times over. 

One woman phoned about ten minutes before her appointment saying she couldn't make it because the hairdresser had just put a colour on her hair, she was running late...........WTAF - could she remake it for tomorrow anytime after 12? Err, no.  A fortnight is the first one - isn't there anything sooner - YES, there's one in about ten minutes free :angry:    Patient choice. :(

There are seriously ill kids in this world that the money would be far better spent on than this selfish bunch of losers .Should fine them at the  hourly rate of the of the NHS staff they were due to see.

2 hours ago, McRamFan said:

A friend of mine, who works in A&E, says that if they removed chairs in the waiting room, timewasting idiots who have toothache, headaches, hangovers, chipped nails, stubbed toes etc would bugger off home and free up 70% of the resources.

Is that not what walk in centres are for? 

Sat waiting in ENT at the Hallamshire,Prof Ray is an hour behind which is not too bad for him.

No complaints from us as he sees Joel whenever and we just turn up plus we don’t have to go to Birmingham but there are lots of people losing their s*** about the wait,I am trying really hard not to explain some things to some of them,I think I might go outside.

To be fair to the Hospital there are 6 Doctors and Prof Ray seeing people,they need to chill out,I think I need to chill out.Grrrrrr!

NHS can’t carry on like this though.

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

Sat waiting in ENT at the Hallamshire

Last time I was in the Hallamshire was A&E with the missus. We'd been on a night out in Sheffield and were just stood at the side of the dancefloor chatting when some drunk guy pushed his mate hard across the dancefloor - who barrelled into her and knocked her flying. She cracked her wrist as she fell and was in agony. We turned up about midnight and the triage nurse wrote "appears inebriated" on the form. Needless to say we had to wait hours to be seen along with all the other drunks :lol:

34 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Last time I was in the Hallamshire was A&E with the missus. We'd been on a night out in Sheffield and were just stood at the side of the dancefloor chatting when some drunk guy pushed his mate hard across the dancefloor - who barrelled into her and knocked her flying. She cracked her wrist as she fell and was in agony. We turned up about midnight and the triage nurse wrote "appears inebriated" on the form. Needless to say we had to wait hours to be seen along with all the other drunks :lol:

No A&E at the Hallamshire anymore,part of the restructuring designed to provide better service(yeah right!).

18 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Thanks for that. Yes, seemingly so, but had to go back today to have her eyes examined, as they thought yesterday she might have an eye abnormality. But no, excellent eyesight for her age and no problems. Of course, she now lives in fear and dread of it happening again.

They also re-examined the brain scan and are happy with that. Apparently, the eye ward is is always exceptionally busy but from getting the car park ticket to returning to the car afterwards (a long walk) was a tad over 2 hours, and she saw three separate doctors. Walsgrave Hospital gets the thumbs up from me; infinitely preferable to the LRI and much easer to get to.

One gripe (I'll put it in the random annoyances thread too). Of all things on the planet, the one thing it is impossible to estimate is how long you're going to be on a hospital visit, but the car parks are all pre-pay. This one only took coins and was £4.30 for up to 3 hours. Luckily, we just managed to scrape it together. Some poor sods hadn't got enough coinage. God knows what they did.

Say what you will about the Royal Derby and it's lack of parking and huge queues, but at least you can pay for your parking after you leave your appointment  (unless I've been dig wrong and you should be paying beforehand).

3 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Say what you will about the Royal Derby and it's lack of parking and huge queues, but at least you can pay for your parking after you leave your appointment  (unless I've been dig wrong and you should be paying beforehand).

No, and if your appointment goes over 2 hours you can get your card stamped so you arent charged more than 2 hours.

Archived