Hurricane Irma

Day

Yeah, remember following Barbuda on Twitter, took a while for any real interest in the island which has been 95% destroyed. Had to evacuate the entire island after. Strange thing was the president of Antigua & Barbuda came out thanking god for barely touching them without picking up the phone to anyone on Barbuda!

Had to jump in his helicopter then realised nothing left there. No power, houses, nothing.

Seen Richard Branson’s island has been wiped out as well.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At time's like this attention seekers post all manner of stuff that they claim is down to Irma and then everyone retweets or reposts. Some saddo tweeted a picture of floods at Mexico City Airport from a week or so before claiming it was flooding now at Miami Airport and President Trump's Social Media Director retweeted it without checking its authenticity, saying he was showing it to the President. I despair.

Miami Airport had to get in touch to say it wasn't their airport which was fine. You have to despair at the cluelessness of these people, or their deliberate intention to big up the story to deflect from other things. Either is bad.

Story in http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/10/miami-airport-just-fact-checked-trumps-social-media-director/

And before poting here of course I checked the different twitter feeds to make sure the story is true.

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

At time's like this attention seekers post all manner of stuff that they claim is down to Irma and then everyone retweets or reposts. Some saddo tweeted a picture of floods at Mexico City Airport from a week or so before claiming it was flooding now at Miami Airport and President Trump's Social Media Director retweeted it without checking its authenticity, saying he was showing it to the President. I despair.

Miami Airport had to get in touch to say it wasn't their airport which was fine. You have to despair at the cluelessness of these people, or their deliberate intention to big up the story to deflect from other things. Either is bad.

Story in http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/10/miami-airport-just-fact-checked-trumps-social-media-director/

And before poting here of course I checked the different twitter feeds to make sure the story is true.

Trumps lot tweeting fake news? Good heavens.

Twitter is crap at times like these, attention seekers like you say. Saw that Mexico airport loads last night, each time they were called out for posting fake news it was a “I’m sorry, just trying to help”......yet they don’t delete the tweet, continues to pick up more retweets and likes. 

You also have those offering a bed or to take in your pets being that super friendly citizen yet they live in Sydney or Thailand. That will help those in Florida.

And no longer can you say stay safe and good luck, it’s I’m praying for followed by ????

Ugh.

10 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I have a question re tourists who go on holiday in the Caribbean in September. Don't they know anything about the place they are going to? Do they do any background reading - look it up on Wikipedia, that sort of thing?

I went to Cuba in January the main reason for going then was because it was well outside the hurricane season. I have been to other countries in the Indian Ocean that don't get as much news coverage and have been hit by inter monsoons and anti cyclones. I always do my research now.

46 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

well....all in all it wasn't all that bad for us....loads of trees down all over the neighbourhood....and a big clean up operation starts once the curfew is lifted...

Looks like Fort Myers etc really got it bad....poor sods

thank goodness, pesky things these hurricanes, just wont stay in a straight line

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

well....all in all it wasn't all that bad for us....loads of trees down all over the neighbourhood....and a big clean up operation starts once the curfew is lifted...

Looks like Fort Myers etc really got it bad....poor sods

Good news.. Was thinking about you this morning watching the news.. :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, Spanish said:

thank goodness, pesky things these hurricanes, just wont stay in a straight line

Jose looks like someone has it tied to a bit of rope - or it's a stupid dog running around its master's leg.

27 minutes ago, eddie said:

Jose looks like someone has it tied to a bit of rope - or it's a stupid dog running around its master's leg.

weird, looks completely lost, should rename it to hurricane Boris.  looking out on HMS Ocean as they fill it up to aid BVI, think they have lost too much time and surprisingly bad planning but I guess May called Cobra only on Saturday?  should have been sooner none of this was a particular surprise

Archived