Best matches ever....oh yes

Owd miner

The Best Match I went to was Derby 2 - Man Utd 2.

I remember going mental when Christie scored his 3rd and started doing his Celebration. Then the referee rules it out due to having full control of the ball (He had one hand on the Ball.....) Still angers me to this day!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Owd miner said:

Nah then mi Owd Angry Ram... I've seen many classics but I had never seen Derby win there. Fost time i went there where wi mi mam in 1978 . Someone lobbed a pigs head on pitch. Any road why does tha seem to have a problem wi me.... ?

Did it beat the keeper?

9 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Derby Juventus with Charlie George and Derby Spurs with Roger Davies scoring

Dont want to be a KNOW it all but as far as I`m aware we have only played Juventus twice competitivly Lost 1.3 away April 11th 1973

Drew 0.0 home April 25th 1973 And Kevin Hector scored the only goal ,Charlie wasn`t at Derby then he was still a Highbury Hero 

(as far as I`m aware):whistle:

17 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

As has been said. Derby v Chelsea in the League Cup 1968.  My ears were still ringing the next day.  Never head such noise.

Just goes to show what can happen if everyone gets right behind the lads.

Though I was present at most of the matches Ramblur has been reminding us of, I would pick a more recent one - seeing us away at Leeds in 2006/7, finally beating them on their own patch after God knows how long. A typical performance from that Bily Davies promotion season but oh so sweet!

22 hours ago, Owd miner said:

Nah then mi Owd Angry Ram... I've seen many classics but I had never seen Derby win there. Fost time i went there where wi mi mam in 1978 . Someone lobbed a pigs head on pitch. Any road why does tha seem to have a problem wi me.... ?

I doubt you are what you like to make out. 78 and you went with your 'mam' so you are not really that 'owd' are you? As for being a miner, more minor I would say. 

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

I doubt you are what you like to make out. 78 and you went with your 'mam' so you are not really that 'owd' are you? As for being a miner, more minor I would say. 

Born in 1970

47 YEARS OLD NOW,.

First match as an 8 year old .

Mascot as a 10 year old .

On the picket lines as a 14 year old (unless it was the first strike then it would be as a 3 year old )

WOW  :whistle:

14 hours ago, Alan Ramage 4 EVA said:

Dont want to be a KNOW it all but as far as I`m aware we have only played Juventus twice competitivly Lost 1.3 away April 11th 1973

Drew 0.0 home April 25th 1973 And Kevin Hector scored the only goal ,Charlie wasn`t at Derby then he was still a Highbury Hero 

(as far as I`m aware):whistle:

You're right of course. It was a long time ago! Should have checked properly. Still remember the goals tho' even if the team was wrong! 

6 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

It only really happened that one time.  It was not quite as intense in the Everton game afterwards.

2nd October, 1968 - 49 years ago , OTR, and it certainly hasn't happened since.

Not too many of us left to keep that very, very special memory alive - such a pity that it was before the days of Radio Derby coverage, today's younger supporters would never have tired of hearing it replayed.

17 minutes ago, Dordogne_Ram said:

Not too many of us left to keep that very, very special memory alive - such a pity that it was before the days of Radio Derby coverage, today's younger supporters would never have tired of hearing it replayed.

I was there ,start of the greatest Derby sides fortunate to be at the right age to enjoy it.

5 minutes ago, Dordogne_Ram said:

Perhaps this might help- I have the cutting from The DET written by George Edwards (the Steve Nicholson of the time) which I think captures some of the emotion of the night beautifully. I apologise if it takes up a lot of space .I took a photo of the cutting but don't know how to post it on here  so on a miserable rainy day when I don't fancy getting wet on the Golf course I've done it the hard way. 

FINEST NIGHT FOR YEARS AS RAMS TAKE CHELSEA APART

"Imagine a boxer staggering around the ring, battered, bewildered, not knowing which way to turn  and finally sinking to the floor. That was Chelsea at the Baseball Ground last night- played to death- thoroughly and completely taken apart by a Derby County scaling new heights"

The Rams were a goal down until the 77th minute . Then inevitably Chelsea went under as wave after wave of white shirts hit them time and again. And they were not just outfought THEY WERE OUTSKILLED.

Three goals in the last 13 finished them, as the Rams go to Everton on October 16th in the 4th round of the League Cup after a replay win that will be talked about for years......... their tenth match without defeat.

And not just the younger Rams fans are getting excited now. Men who have been watching Derby County for 30 years or more were hailing this display as one of the best they could remember. 

It seemed for some time that this might be the great let down. Honour in defeat and so on. Chelsea defended superbly and Bonetti's goalkeeping was tremendous.

A breakaway goal brilliantly taken by Birchenall had temporarily rocked the Rams and Chelsea always seemed to find an extra man to scramble the ball away. Yes Chelsea were a good side . They were hard , professional, strong , quick and ruthless in the tackle.

BUT LAST NIGHT THEY WERE SIMPLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH. DERBY'S CLOCKWORK INTER- PASSING - THE BALL FLASHING FROM MAN TO MAN IN EXTRAORDINARY FASHION HAD CHELSEA CHASING SHADOWS IN MIDFIELD. 

How the Londoners grafted - and how they suffered.

Heroes? It would be grossly unfair to single out individuals for this was a magnificent team display. Individuals of course did play well but as a part of a team which now has confidence to spare. There were no hopeful upfield passes.....no wild clearances under pressure. Defenders in a spot and forwards caught near the line just looked up and clipped the ball to a colleague .. for there was always a colleague oh hand to help.

Right from the start the pattern was set. Hinton won the ball deep in his own half and raced 70 yards swaying away from two lunging tackles on his way. Across came his centre and when the ball was half cleared non- stop Alan Durban lashed in a shot which Bonetti just pushed around. That was the start of the action for this briliant goalkeeper who put on an England display.

The ball was skidding about all over the place on the wet surface and a minute later Bonetti dived to to save a Hinton drive.

Chelsea came back and Birchenall was put clear on the right. He was poised to shoot, then across raced McFarland and that was it. He whipped the ball away with a great tackle, climbed to his feet and flipped a pass upfield. O'Hare then sent Hinton away with a great pass and Hector was caught just offside as he headed his centre. Next Hinton kicked a Hector shot off the line and Bonetti saved from Carlin as Chelsea brought everybody back.

All of a sudden in the 26th minute came a Chelsea goal. Houseman out on the left went inside Webster and just evaded a Carlin tackle. He slipped the ball across and Birchenall from 30 yards hit a terrific shot into the corner of the net. Green had no earthly chance.

Straight away the Rams went back. O'Hare was obstructed by Marvin Hinton as he went through and the free kick was scraped clear. Webb stopped a Hinton pile diver and a succession of corners followed with Chelsea defending well and The Rams throwing attacks in from all angles. But at half time it wass still 0-1 and the fans though appreciative were worried.

IN THE SECOND HALF HOWEVER THEY GOT RIGHT  BEHIND THE TEAM. I CAN'T REMEMBER THE CHANT OF "DERBY. DERBY THUNDERING ROUND THE GROUND LIKE THIS.

Osgood held Walker back as he tried to go through and the grafting winger was then felled by Hollins. Carlin was obstructed in the penalty area and with the noise deafening Bonetti made an incredible save in the scramble that followed. A power drive from O'Hare flew to safety off a defender ....... Hector cracked in a volley on the turn which Bonetti somehow got across to turn around, and the next sight was that of the wonderful Mcfarland winning the ball in his own half, beating a man, pushing it up to Carlin , racing through for the returnand finally overlapping as the attack moved on.

But goals ? They just would not come....... until the 77th minute. And then the irrepressible Mackay equalised. Carlin with whom Chelsea never got to grips , raced through the middle and suddenly backheeled the ball.

MACKAY FOLLOWING UP, HIT A 30 YARDER WHICH DIPPED LATE AND DECEIVED BONETTI COMPLETELY.

A Walker header was brilliantly saved , and an O'Hare header was somehow forced away . Thern cam the secon goal in the 83rd minute. A minute earlier Hutchinson clear, had been brilliantly tackled by Walker. The ball bounced back to Hutchinson 4 yards out, but Walker somehow got another tackle in to save the day and bring the house down.

THEN THE TALENTED YOUNG NO.7 BURST THROUGH ON THE LEFT, CROSSED PERFECTLY AND DURBAN RACING IN HEADED PAST BONETTI.

Four minutes later the crowd erupted again. Robson who had a great game , slipped over a center and O'Hare almost turned it in. Bonetti and Hector went for it and it was the Derby star who got there first for a well deserved goal. And there could have been  more. Hinton centerd and Carlin moved on to the ball. Osgood clearly held him back and the result was a flurry of fists- and the names of both players going into the referee's book.

A sad end - in a way but it was not entirely unexpected. Osgood has great ability but his petulance will always get him into trouble.

AFTER THE MATCH THEY WERE ALL TALKING: Chairman Sydney Bradley" This was a night I shall remember as long as I live. What a wonderful display by the team and how wonderful our supporters were."

Football League President Len Shipman: "This reminded me of the from Derby 20 years ago. A wonderful match"

Thanks SEAO for taking the trouble to type all that out  - hope the "young ones" can appreciate why we oldies get excited about that game. That was the night we all realised that something special was happening, but we did not in our widest dreams expect to be in the European Cup semi-final just over 4 years later. Breath-taking times indeed!

Hard to choose between the best match ever, but I do know my best Rams week ever.........September 13th to the 20th 1969.

Having started an apprenticeship in August 1969 on the monumental sum of £6 a week (paid in cash, 5 x £1 notes and 2 10 bob notes*) I decided to invest my new found wealth on watching the newly promoted Rams at grounds I'd only ever seen in colour thanks to Charlie Buchans Football Monthly*.

On the 13th I jumped on the Trent bus' Football Special and  I was off to St James' Park.  Derby had made a great start to the season played 9 won 5 and drawn 4.  Newcastle had just won the Inter Cities Fairs Cup*, McFarland scored at the Gallowgate end, Mackay was brilliant and my team, yes my team, Derby County were top of the First Division*.  Oh yes, I nearly forget to mention that I never came back on the old Trent bus due to a couple of half house bricks taking out a couple of windows.

Next up Tottenham Hotspur whose team included me boyhood hero Jimmy Greaves* plus Jennings*, Knowles*, Mullery*, England* and Gilzean*.  Mackay was a legend at Spurs and this was his first game against his old club, over 40,000 in the Baseball ground, 3-0 up by half time, 5-0 at full time and my team Derby County were still top of the league!

What a great week that was.........and I'd still got 10 bob* in me pocket!

*............for those young uns just google it.

Nostalgia, you want nostalgia, 6 minutes and 12 seconds of bloody brilliance!

It didn't show in that enjoyable clip, but John O'Hare's performance was superb. He lead Mike England, Spur's Welsh international centre half a right dance throughout the game - long before full time the poor fellow didn't know whether he had been punched, bored or countersunk!

54 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Hard to choose between the best match ever, but I do know my best Rams week ever.........September 13th to the 20th 1969.

Having started an apprenticeship in August 1969 on the monumental sum of £6 a week (paid in cash, 5 x £1 notes and 2 10 bob notes*) I decided to invest my new found wealth on watching the newly promoted Rams at grounds I'd only ever seen in colour thanks to Charlie Buchans Football Monthly*.

On the 13th I jumped on the Trent bus' Football Special and  I was off to St James' Park.  Derby had made a great start to the season played 9 won 5 and drawn 4.  Newcastle had just won the Inter Cities Fairs Cup*, McFarland scored at the Gallowgate end, Mackay was brilliant and my team, yes my team, Derby County were top of the First Division*.  Oh yes, I nearly forget to mention that I never came back on the old Trent bus due to a couple of half house bricks taking out a couple of windows.

Next up Tottenham Hotspur whose team included me boyhood hero Jimmy Greaves* plus Jennings*, Knowles*, Mullery*, England* and Gilzean*.  Mackay was a legend at Spurs and this was his first game against his old club, over 40,000 in the Baseball ground, 3-0 up by half time, 5-0 at full time and my team Derby County were still top of the league!

What a great week that was.........and I'd still got 10 bob* in me pocket!

*............for those young uns just google it.

Nostalgia, you want nostalgia, 6 minutes and 12 seconds of bloody brilliance!

Thank you.. Enough said.

Archived