Dr Who

Day

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, David said:

Looks to have started a huge sexist social media war, don't understand why myself. It's always been a load of unwatchable tripe male or female.

If you are talking bout the revamped doctor who then totally agree , bring back 4 episode story lines and get rid of Hugging and long drawn out looks at each other "I Luuuuuuuvvvvvv You" , the BBC have since David Tennant used this as a vehicle to push Social Issues

Open minded about a female Doctor , just get back to Sci Fi and leave the drama to Holby City and Forrest Gump

11 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Didn't think you would be a fan....not keen on sci fi in the first place,are you David?

I'm not a sci fi nerd but I can still watch and enjoy it, was forced to watch one episode and I was begging for Strictly Come Dancing by the end.

33 minutes ago, David said:

I'm not a sci fi nerd but I can still watch and enjoy it, was forced to watch one episode and I was begging for Strictly Come Dancing by the end.

I think the main reason you're not a big fan is you're not 7 years old any more.

Sith Happens

Reading some of the comments online, some people are so narrow minded. One comment from 'del' on the mirror site says 'It was bad enough the master was a woman, then lesbianism, now a female doctor, what is the world coming to!'.

I'd say what is the world coming to allowing such a bigot to have access to the internet.

Im only an occasional Dr Who watcher, but I reckon this will freshen it up.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Reading some of the comments online, some people are so narrow minded. One comment from 'del' on the mirror site says 'It was bad enough the master was a woman, then lesbianism, now a female doctor, what is the world coming to!'.

I'd say what is the world coming to allowing such a bigot to have access to the internet.

Im only an occasional Dr Who watcher, but I reckon this will freshen it up.

Agreed.

Only thing that matters about who portrays the doctor is that they bring something new to the role. 

That being said, I still won't start watching it again until it returns to being a silly sci-fi show. 

The thing is I can sort of see where these "bigots" are coming from, Dr Who is traditionally a man, for those that have grown up with the series it's all they have known.

When Jack Reacher was made into a film the book lovers complained as in the books he was a big tall guy, then you have Tom Cruise playing the role.

Sci fi you have to let your imagination run a little wild anyway but let's say they made Obi Wan a woman, a long running series of films and suddenly the gender has been switched.

For me it's not sexism, it's not being a bigot, it's just your favourite tv show being tinkered with too much.

Had the series started out with a woman as the Doc, then switched to a man I'm sure you would see the same backlash.

1 minute ago, David said:

The thing is I can sort of see where these "bigots" are coming from, Dr Who is traditionally a man, for those that have grown up with the series it's all they have known.

When Jack Reacher was made into a film the book lovers complained as in the books he was a big tall guy, then you have Tom Cruise playing the role.

Sci fi you have to let your imagination run a little wild anyway but let's say they made Obi Wan a woman, a long running series of films and suddenly the gender has been switched.

For me it's not sexism, it's not being a bigot, it's just your favourite tv show being tinkered with too much.

Had the series started out with a woman as the Doc, then switched to a man I'm sure you would see the same backlash.

They do realise it's make-believe, don't they?

I once saw a production of Richard II where the eponymous character was played by a woman and Henry V where Henry V was black. It was an unimportant aspect of each production.

From a generation that didn't have its own doctor, I never got into it, but isn't the Doctor a shape-shifting time Lord who's personality changes with every reincarnation? Makes no difference to the premise of the show, in my eyes, and I think a woman will bring a different personality and dynamic to the role - how many times can you have the Doctor portrayed as a kooky old guy, an intense middle-aged man, or loveable young nerd?

I will admit my knowledge of the doc is very minimal so a woman may be acceptable, but it's clear by the backlash many fans of the show are not happy. 

I don't believe they are all sexist pigs.

Might actually be a good move by the BBC as it has people talking about the show and brought a lot of attention to it, be a few watching the first episode now that may not have before out of curiosity

37 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

They do realise it's make-believe, don't they?

I once saw a production of Richard II where the eponymous character was played by a woman and Henry V where Henry V was black. It was an unimportant aspect of each production.

28cg85g.png11blt8o.jpg

Knew this would happen, the BBC can't write a decent show anymore so they drag viewers in through being politically correct. Every episode recently seems to have some sort of social issue shoehorned into it, its completely ruined the show and this will be the last nail in the coffin imo. I'm sure she's a good actress, but doctor who has always been a bloke and that shouldn't be changed, if it was a woman and first and they changed the doctor to a man the BBC would be under a sexism investigation, really don't understand it

Archived