30+ Club

Day

Carson, Davies, Keogh, Shackell, Baird, Bryson, Johnson, Bent, Nugent

Anya (30 in January)

Huddlestone (potentially)

That would be 11 players. Is age not a concern with this squad?

Special mentions to Olsson (29), Forsyth (29 in Jan), Pearce (29 in Nov) flirting with old age.

Forgetting Huddelstone for a minute 13 of the current squad of 26 players will be touching or 30+.

To me that is a concern without being a drama queen about it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

It doesnt seem long ago we had a young exciting team.

In fairness 30 isnt what it used to be in footballing terms, but it would be nice to see a few younger players coming through.

I think this is perfect, need the right balance of experience and youth, with the amount of experience we have I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the academy players coming through to compliment them!, Lowe / Hanson / Bennett i'm expecting to be regularly in and around the matchday squad 

2 minutes ago, BottrillRAM said:

I think this is perfect, need the right balance of experience and youth, with the amount of experience we have I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the academy players coming through to compliment them!, Lowe / Hanson / Bennett i'm expecting to be regularly in and around the matchday squad 

When you say experience how many professional games does it take to earn that title or is it more than games, time spent in the game?

Jacob Butterfield just turned 27, Wikistats have him down as 263 professional games, that's a lot of games played yet still has 3 seasons till he hits the 30 Club. 

No problem with a sprinkling of 30+ players, not suggesting it's time for the scrapheap, but when 50% of your squad is nearing their pension, I feel it's possible to have experience whilst also reducing the age slightly.

1 minute ago, SFox1993 said:

I dont see it being so much of an issue , we will probably shift a few of the over 30's retirement team in january

Pending transfers is disclaimer I should have really added, saying that I don't see anyone other than Bent from that list leaving this season. If Bent stays both him and Baird will most likely leave in the summer both being in their final years.

We are a fine example of how to lose player value by overpaying and acquiring players in the twilight of their career. Adding insult to injury we acquire too many to the point that many sit and become a disruption to the chemistry because of their historical pedigree and current lack of playing time. Adding double insult, youth doesn't get to play - Zanzala Rawson Elsnik Lowe - all blocked. So we have little chance of discovering the budding young superstar, chased by elite teams for big money. It is indeed Dads Army ... and now we want to add Tom Huddlestone to the mix? With Thorne fit and supported by Johnson and Hanson where exactly do the last legs of TH fit in? 

Far too much mediocrity makes you wonder how exactly GR will achieve anything here. So far he's cut none of the chaff, just the best young wheat. The irony is that GR has pretty much admitted most of the above is the case. Will he be brave enough to actually execute a plan to trim the squad, to then turn to the youngsters, and to take a chance on playing them?

PistoldPete2
36 minutes ago, David said:

Carson, Davies, Keogh, Shackell, Baird, Bryson, Johnson, Bent, Nugent

Anya (30 in January)

Huddlestone (potentially)

That would be 11 players. Is age not a concern with this squad?

Special mentions to Olsson (29), Forsyth (29 in Jan), Pearce (29 in Nov) flirting with old age.

Forgetting Huddelstone for a minute 13 of the current squad of 26 players will be touching or 30+.

To me that is a concern without being a drama queen about it.

Exactly , which is even more reason why it was madness to sell hughes.

6 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Exactly , which is even more reason why it was madness to sell hughes.

Why? Hughes wanted to leave, would you rather keep him, possibly not playing him just to keep the average age down?

PistoldPete2
13 minutes ago, David said:

Why? Hughes wanted to leave, would you rather keep him, possibly not playing him just to keep the average age down?

I said it was even more reason to keep him, not the only one by any means.

and if we ending up selling him even though he's just signed a new contract then we should have got a full price for him because young talent doesn't come cheap to replace. 

I pointed this out last night when Mr.Edworthy described both of our teams as "very experienced". 

That being said - we have some young players that look like they may possibly get a little more opportunity. And if we sign a lad like Tom Lawrence that's also a good age. 

I don't think there's much wrong with having a large % of the squad on the older side, it'll start to be a concern to me if the 11 we put out is all 30+ tho.

3 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

and if we ending up selling him even though he's just signed a new contract then we should have got a full price for him because young talent doesn't come cheap to replace. 

Making a profit on our younger players is exactly what we need to do, even more so players that want to leave.

30+ players have little to no resale value at this level, the money to replace and strengthen needs to come from somewhere.

We got the full price for Hughes, impossible to create a bidding war with one club.

Could really do with Lowe, Bennett, Guy and co stepping up and making the grade. 

8 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I would suggest you've answered your own question, the new contract terms are likely to be the key

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

We are a fine example of how to lose player value by overpaying and acquiring players in the twilight of their career. Adding insult to injury we acquire too many to the point that many sit and become a disruption to the chemistry because of their historical pedigree and current lack of playing time. Adding double insult, youth doesn't get to play - Zanzala Rawson Elsnik Lowe - all blocked. So we have little chance of discovering the budding young superstar, chased by elite teams for big money. It is indeed Dads Army ... and now we want to add Tom Huddlestone to the mix? With Thorne fit and supported by Johnson and Hanson where exactly do the last legs of TH fit in? 

Far too much mediocrity makes you wonder how exactly GR will achieve anything here. So far he's cut none of the chaff, just the best young wheat. The irony is that GR has pretty much admitted most of the above is the case. Will he be brave enough to actually execute a plan to trim the squad, to then turn to the youngsters, and to take a chance on playing them?

It's not GR's fault that those he needs to move on are sat on fat contracts,that only Prem clubs and a handful of Championship teams could afford is it?  Why would Bent, Shackell, Anya, Vydra, Johnson or Butterfield half their money somewhere else?  Despite what you & Toddy say, you can't force a player to stop playing for you, or sell them if they don't want to move...

Archived