30+ Club

Day

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I see you've changed your mind though on the issue compared to when you posted on my thread ? Experience is good but you don't want too many oldies in there. Ideally the gk, defence and holding mids would be experienced but the players in the wide positions and attacking midfield roles would be younger

Who said? Both Ronaldo and Messi are over 30 and still the best in the world and can go one for another 4 years.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I see you've changed your mind though on the issue compared to when you posted on my thread ? Experience is good but you don't want too many oldies in there. Ideally the gk, defence and holding mids would be experienced but the players in the wide positions and attacking midfield roles would be younger

My corncerns are more that in another season or two they will need replacing. Short term squad. With little to no resale and two of our most valuable players gone where is the money coming from if we don't go up.

3 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Who said? Both Ronaldo and Messi are over 30 and still the best in the world and can go one for another 4 years.

They're freaks and not the norm. Messi's only just turned 30 and is starting to transition his position into a midfielder to allow him to sustain his game. Ronaldo's completed his transition to a striker but is nowhere near as good as he was when he was in his prime in 2012. So all in all, both had to change their positions to sustain their high standards.

It also depends on what kind of player they are. For example, someone like Martin, who has never relied on pace, will probably last longer at this level than David Nugent. 

56 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Gypsy come on. We sold our Ronaldo to Huddersfield and our Messi to Watford. What we have left are close to a dads army of go nowheres. They are nowhere near the talent and athleticism of those world beaters. @David has just highlighted the depressing situation.

I understand it takes time, but so far there is a gulf between GR talk and GR action and in giving youth and talent a bigger role.

PistoldPete2
3 hours ago, David said:

My corncerns are more that in another season or two they will need replacing. Short term squad. With little to no resale and two of our most valuable players gone where is the money coming from if we don't go up.

I find myself alternately agreeing and disagreeing with you david. 

Yes I remember when Dave mAckay brought in franny lee, rod Thomas and Bruce rioch, all great short term signings that won us the title. But in a couple of years franny  had retired, Alan Hinton too. Roy Mac had had one too many injuries and Kevin hector   Past his best. The team from the glory days had grown old together and it all went pear shaped after that. 

This squad may be ok ( ish) for a year or two but unless we can get another hughes or Hendrick coming through they will all be past it soon.  Bent shackell and Baird probably are already. 

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Yes I remember when Dave mAckay brought in franny lee, rod Thomas and Bruce rioch, all great short term signings that won us the title...

This squad may be ok ( ish) for a year or two but unless we can get another hughes or Hendrick coming through they will all be past it soon.  Bent shackell and Baird probably are already. 

True. But At least players go on for a bit longer nowadays and if we get rid of some we can bring some youngsters through.

6 hours ago, David said:

Surely that's what the multi million academy is for ? 

It's about balance. Old heads are essential but they have to be the right old heads. Young bucks are essential too but it's about channeling that talent and energy and guiding them through peaks and troughs.

What I think we've lacked a lot of the time is leadership. When games have got tough or we've gone through sticky patches we haven't had enough calm heads to pull people together. In lots of ways age isn't really the factor but my criticism is that we haven't replaced the likes of Eustace and Bucko. I don't feel enough of the current players who are 30 are necessarily the right old heads. I wouldn't mind at all if Bent and Shackell moved on for example but again our recruitment policy has left a lot to be desired.

II think it'll take another season to address the balance and get the squad blend right.

Archived