30+ Club

Day

I think sometimes people get hung-up about the age thing.It's only a number some players mature and get better with age and experience.

Football, luckily is not all about jumping the highest and running around at 100 miles an hour all match long.It is just as much as speed of thought, anticipation, calmness and spacial awareness.These things you don't lose but if your intelligent gain with age. 

To be successful ultimately you need a blend of experience and youth.

That is my humble opinion for what it's worth.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
3 hours ago, David said:

Making a profit on our younger players is exactly what we need to do, even more so players that want to leave.

30+ players have little to no resale value at this level, the money to replace and strengthen needs to come from somewhere.

We got the full price for Hughes, impossible to create a bidding war with one club.

Could really do with Lowe, Bennett, Guy and co stepping up and making the grade. 

We signed Bradley Johnson for 6 million when he was nearly 30. Just shows how dumb we are.

most neutrals say Hughes was a bargain for Watford. Haven't heard many say that about Johnson for derby.

1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

We signed Bradley Johnson for 6 million when he was nearly 30. Just shows how dumb we are.

most neutrals say Hughes was a bargain for Watford. Haven't heard many say that about Johnson for derby.

Deadline day you always pay a little more, injuries forced us into adding to the squad.

I've actually heard Hughes being described as good business for both clubs, no mocking other than Forest fans which is expected. Can't say I heard anyone say Norwich had our pants down for Johnson at the time either whilst possibly paying slightly over the odds with the timing.

I missed off Jonathan Mitchell, I've realised, but I make the average age of the squad without him as it currently stands to be 27.6 years old.

Just now, SaintRam said:

I missed off Jonathan Mitchell, I've realised, but I make the average age of the squad without him as it currently stands to be 27.6 years old.

When you say squad are you including Vernam, Guy, Macdonald, Timi Max and Rawson that are listed as first team players? I missed them out in the opening post, can't really include them till they start playing.

6 minutes ago, David said:

When you say squad are you including Vernam, Guy, Macdonald, Timi Max and Rawson that are listed as first team players? I missed them out in the opening post, can't really include them till they start playing.

No - except Macdonald. Who I added purely on the back of him playing yesterday. Only 'youth' players in are Bennett and Macdonald. And if you swap Macdonald for the missing Mitchell, it doesn't change the finished figure much despite him being older. Will be about 28

7 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

No - except Macdonald. Who I added purely on the back of him playing yesterday. Only 'youth' players in are Bennett and Macdonald. And if you swap Macdonald for the missing Mitchell, it doesn't change the finished figure much despite him being older. Will be about 28

Try Mitchell and Huddlestone in and Macdonald out, I'll get that average age up you watch. 

* I also want Forsyth and Pearce as 29 as they will be in a few months. In fact check all players birthdays and include any that fall between now and Jan 30th.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Try Mitchell and Huddlestone in and Macdonald out, I'll get that average age up you watch. 

Unfortunately I didn't save the ages to recalc it quickly - but I'll do another once the squad is confirmed.

A brain-power only estimate would be about 28.4

4 hours ago, David said:

When you say experience how many professional games does it take to earn that title or is it more than games, time spent in the game?

Jacob Butterfield just turned 27, Wikistats have him down as 263 professional games, that's a lot of games played yet still has 3 seasons till he hits the 30 Club. 

No problem with a sprinkling of 30+ players, not suggesting it's time for the scrapheap, but when 50% of your squad is nearing their pension, I feel it's possible to have experience whilst also reducing the age slightly.

Completely agree that the age could be reduced and we still have an 'experienced' squad, I would class Butterfield as an experienced player and for me I would say a good few seasons playing regularly would be experienced, had Hughes stayed I would be considering saying he would be too, despite his young age! 

Carson (32), Roos (25), Mitchell (23)

Forsyth (28), Olsson (29), Lowe (20)

Davies (32), Keogh (31), Shackell (34), Pearce (29)

Wisdom (24), Baird (35)

Bryson (31), Johnson (30), Butterfield (27), Thorne (25), Hanson (22)

Weimann (26), Russell (27), Vydra (25), Anya (30), Blackman (28), Bennett (20)

Martin (29), Nugent (32), Bent (33)

*Ages by January 30th 2018.

Average age 27.9

+ Huddlestone 28.07

+ Huddlestone, Rowett 28.6

+ Huddlestone, Rowett & Mel 29.6

19 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Unfortunately I didn't save the ages to recalc it quickly - but I'll do another once the squad is confirmed.

A brain-power only estimate would be about 28.4

This article is actually good comparison, eventhough it's from January.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/25/has-youngest-premier-league-team-average-whose-four-years-older/watford/

5 minutes ago, David said:

Carson (32), Roos (25), Mitchell (23)

Forsyth (28), Olsson (29), Lowe (20)

Davies (32), Keogh (31), Shackell (34), Pearce (29)

Wisdom (24), Baird (35)

Bryson (31), Johnson (30), Butterfield (27), Thorne (25), Hanson (22)

Weimann (26), Russell (27), Vydra (25), Anya (30), Blackman (28), Bennett (20)

Martin (29), Nugent (32), Bent (33)

*Ages by January 30th 2018.

Average age 27.9

+ Huddlestone 28.07

+ Huddlestone, Rowett 28.6

+ Huddlestone, Rowett & Mel 29.6

Wasn't far off with my +Huddlestone estimate then, as I'd also missed off Roos as it happens. Must just not have a good goalkeeper memory.

This might be considered a problem if it were 1975, but not really in 2017.  I agree, its always nice to have a younger squad for various reasons, but nothing to lose too much sleep over on the pitch (off it we might not get much in resale, but who really cares about that).

It depends on the positions and the type of football the team plays. CBs can go onto 35 with no problems but a winger that uses pace might decline a few years earlier. 

Baird is what 35? He isn't an attacking wing back so his age is irrelevant as shown by his calm head and experience that Christie couldn't replicate as a younger attacking full back.

CDM it's pretty irrelevant but a box to box CM will decline as he gets slower and less fit.

martin could go on to mid 30's no problem as he has never used his speed or stamina to score goals or create for others. He uses his brain for that which will only improve to a point.

thats my two penneth worth and how I see it anyway

the odd 30 ish i dont mind if they still have quality also gives experiance to the younger ones. but looking at all the list is awfull really. it seems that people get carried away as they were good years before but we are payin top dollar for prem rejects that are from relegation teams and we wonder why we are where we are.what happened to the youth coming through? the good ones we have have been sold of to balance the books.this is fine if others are busting at the seams to come up but most are sold on cheap as they havnt had the playtime in the 11.the other thing is keeping the old ones fit.esp when we havnt a decent replacement.

roll on talented youth gr

38 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I posted this thread before, good to see that you have changed your mind David ?

Nowhere have I said players decline like you did, I'm not that silly 

57 minutes ago, David said:

Nowhere have I said players decline like you did, I'm not that silly 

I see you've changed your mind though on the issue compared to when you posted on my thread ? Experience is good but you don't want too many oldies in there. Ideally the gk, defence and holding mids would be experienced but the players in the wide positions and attacking midfield roles would be younger

Archived