Rats or new challenge?

RoyMac5

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh err yeah, he doesn't actually call any of them rats, silly me. Its a cliché - and was used as a counterpoint to leaving for 'a new challenge'. Which Rowett said Hughes was doing but also mentioned he wanted players to be committed, implying he wasn't sure about Hughes.

I would say there is a clear distinction between a rat deserting a sinking ship and a player leaving to try and improve their career.

Tyrone Mears was a rat.

Will Hughes leaves with his head held high and with genuine thanks and good luck from the fans.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I took the fact that he stated the players had being doing their fitness stuff, even more then required by some, to be committed.

I don't really like the interview, but I can't read too much into it. It's sterile PR guff that means nothing. I'd wager that you could find similar sentiments pre season at any club under any manager.

The gps watches are a bit disconcerting though. I love how he specifies it's not a big brother thing. Not a big brother thing, we just want to monitor where you are 24 hours a day. :unsure:

1 minute ago, Anon said:

The gps watches are a bit disconcerting though. I love how he specifies it's not a big brother thing. Not a big brother thing, we just want to monitor where you are 24 hours a day. :unsure:

So they know where the players are 24 hours, 7 days a week? :o I suppose they have to trust them to not take them off, or are they allowed to other than 9-5?!

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So they know where the players are 24 hours, 7 days a week? :o I suppose they have to trust them to not take them off, or are they allowed to other than 9-5?!

I don't know. It's the first I've heard of them to be honest. If I was a player, I'd just hire someone to wear it and spend all day in the gym whilst I did a tour of the local fast food joints.

2 minutes ago, Anon said:

I don't know. It's the first I've heard of them to be honest. If I was a player, I'd just hire someone to wear it and spend all day in the gym whilst I did a tour of the local fast food joints.

Rat! :p

I wonder how accurate they are? Oops you didn't really need those extra 50 laps, the software is a bit dodgy! :D

The GPS watches are to monitor their running and fitness programmes that they have been individually given so they don't come back unfit.

Don't think the players have been ankle tagged and to make sure they are in bed by 8pm, plenty of pics with Anya in the US not wearing his.

TobyWanKenobi

I work for company X. If company Y want to increase my wage by a significant amount, I'm gone. That's fair enough in any industry. I wouldn't consider it desertion.

Just now, TobyWanKenobi said:

I work for company X. If company Y want to increase my wage by a significant amount, I'm gone. That's fair enough in any industry. I wouldn't consider it desertion.

What if company Y are offering the same money but you don't like your boss at company X?

Not getting regular starts

Not in managers plans

Team being set up in ways which won't suit your game

Chance to play at a higher level

Chance to earn more money

I think "new challenge" is little more than a pleasant way of saying "glad I'm gone" without annoying your old club and covers all manner of reasons for actually leaving.

To be honest, I don't buy the rats argument and "anew challenge" is being put about by the management as well "some of the players who've been here a while need anew challenge"

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

To be honest, I don't buy the rats argument and "anew challenge" is being put about by the management as well "some of the players who've been here a while need a new challenge"

I agree. I think Will would have stayed if the manager was Mac. It'll be interesting to see who else leaves and whether its for a 'new challenge' or just 'so long and thanks for all the fish'!

TobyWanKenobi
11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What if company Y are offering the same money but you don't like your boss at company X?

That's also pretty reasonable.

TobyWanKenobi
23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And you've been giving your all for the business haven't you?

Sure. I like to think I'm actually pretty good at my job. 

RATS SMATS

Lets slot the players into 3 groups

first team players play regularly on a good wage but most would move on to play at a higher level

fringe players players who are prepared to fight for a place in the first team squad and happy to do so

last players with a burning desire to just play regular football and  are prepared to do anything to have that chance therse are the ones you refer to as rats completely the wrong way to describe them also in this group are players  the managers as given up on and in some cases so have the fans then in this case best thing to do is to move them on

Archived