U21 Championship 2017

Day

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boothroyd is silly. He had 2 final friendly matches to get his team ready for the u21 Euros. The first match, they played Germany with Chalobah in 1 of the holding mid spots and they were really poor and lacked creativity. The next game he rotates it with 1 of the changes being Hughes in for Chalobah and England cruise to a 4-0 win with Hughes being 1 of the standouts. Days before the tournament they have a behind closed doors match with Hughes preferred over Chalobah and they win easily 3-0. So then come the first match of the tournament he chooses to start Chalobah and this time even changes formation and once again England (and Chalobah in particular) were awful. So surely come the 2nd game Chalobah should be dropped for Hughes? Nope, Chalobah starts, they change back to the original formation and shock, Chalobah has been awful. 

Chalobah still on at the restart. Stuart Pearce suggested they bring on Hughes and Gray but no sign yet. 

You do begin to wonder, particularly in the case of Chalobah, whether there's a feeling on the part of Boothroyd that he has to select as many of the 'top' clubs players as possible. Nah - can't be!

1-1 now, Alfie Mawson (great name btw)

3 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

From what I've seen of Chalobah I really don't rate him , not looking at it with my Rams rose tinted glassed on but Will would offer much more in that role for the under 21s .

But if England win team selection will be justified. 

3 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

From what I've seen of Chalobah I really don't rate him , not looking at it with my Rams rose tinted glassed on but Will would offer much more in that role for the under 21s .

Regardless of whether Will should have been playing or not, Chalobah definitely shouldn't.

England are going deeper and deeper - no one capable of holding the ball in midfield. I can see an equaliser coming at this rate.

8 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Regardless of whether Will should have been playing or not, Chalobah definitely shouldn't.

England are going deeper and deeper - no one capable of holding the ball in midfield. I can see an equaliser coming at this rate.

Hardly 'regardless' - he's there in the squad and not being picked. The midfield looked appalling (as was the team's general play).

It's embarrassing if anyone thinks that's good enough or the way to play.

It is both baffling and worrying that Will isn't getting into this team.  Do we just rate him too highly? I personally don't think so, but a few managers don't seem to fancy him that much.  I'll say it again; baffling.

Archived