We are going up

archied

Yep , remember you heard it here first .

the dust has settled from last year and the frustration of the last couple of years which has made me think at times that we should sell the lot of them is being re examined and when you go back over our performances when we are at it ,by god we are a bloody good team at our best ? We have some very decent players ,, we have really suffered from not being well drilled and organised and that has started from the top in terms of the scattergun approach to recruitment and filtered down through the whole club.

our squad needs trimming down to a tighter unit with the squad players being closer to breaking into first team rather than kicking their heels with no real focus , we lost our way and for me rowett seems the right man to get this group re focused ,organised and fighting for each other ,

stangely enough I no longer feel it will need wholesale changes in playing staff but rather a few key additions ,, Hanley is one we should really try to get in ,, he has that nasty side /bite that we lacked and played alongside keough would be a rock with a fit George Thorne on the field in front of them , cover for Thorne is vital too ,

im getting excited to see what rowett can do from a very different starting point than that the one he had at Birmingham ,

i believe we are going up this year ,,, am I crazy?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had the feeling that Rowett agrees about not making wholesale changes, Just my gut feeling but I think his public cries of big change is a coming, was a rallying cry to the players to see if they can step up to the plate.

There will be a couple of changes, but I just can't see anything like 10 out and 10 in.

I would love to have the optimism of promotion next season but, with Villa, Middlesbrough and Sunderland potentially showing their strength, Reading, Sheff Weds and Fulham all reeling from the playoffs, Wolves looking to build, next season is going to be as tough as old boots.

1 hour ago, archied said:

Yep , remember you heard it here first .

the dust has settled from last year and the frustration of the last couple of years which has made me think at times that we should sell the lot of them is being re examined and when you go back over our performances when we are at it ,by god we are a bloody good team at our best ? We have some very decent players ,, we have really suffered from not being well drilled and organised and that has started from the top in terms of the scattergun approach to recruitment and filtered down through the whole club.

our squad needs trimming down to a tighter unit with the squad players being closer to breaking into first team rather than kicking their heels with no real focus , we lost our way and for me rowett seems the right man to get this group re focused ,organised and fighting for each other ,

stangely enough I no longer feel it will need wholesale changes in playing staff but rather a few key additions ,, Hanley is one we should really try to get in ,, he has that nasty side /bite that we lacked and played alongside keough would be a rock with a fit George Thorne on the field in front of them , cover for Thorne is vital too ,

im getting excited to see what rowett can do from a very different starting point than that the one he had at Birmingham ,

i believe we are going up this year ,,, am I crazy?

Positive fruit loop fella. 

I think we have an excellent chance! If we are all fit and ready - also put it this way I was concerned when we appointed Pearson but I thought let's see but when you saw the line ups in the pre- season games and the way we were being directed we had no chance but I have a totally different perception of  Rowett and I think we are in for a terrific season with the options we currently have if they matched their abilities 

Can we do it on penalties at Wembley?

Call me nuts but unless you go up in the top 2 on the last day your promotion celebrations could be a Tuesday night at Boro surrounded by pink seats.

Compare that to being absolutely drained both emotionally and in the wallet over 120 minutes, then going nuts after scoring the winning penalty. 

The best atmospheres at Pride Park have been in the Play Off Semi Finals, that's where memories are created.

You do lose out a couple of weeks preparation for the Premier League but you should be planning for that anyway if you finish top 6. Jokanovic's shortlist will be at the bottom of his office bin now.

Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, David said:

Call me nuts but unless you go up in the top 2 on the last day your promotion celebrations could be a Tuesday night at Boro surrounded by pink seats.

Compare that to being absolutely drained both emotionally and in the wallet over 120 minutes, then going nuts after scoring the winning penalty. 

The best atmospheres at Pride Park have been in the Play Off Semi Finals, that's where memories are created.

You do lose out a couple of weeks preparation for the Premier League but you should be planning for that anyway if you finish top 6. Jokanovic's shortlist will be at the bottom of his office bin now.

I dont remember the hull game having that good an atmosphere but the brighton and southampton games yes they were great.

Play offs is the way to do it if you can but our record isnt great in the play offs so I will go for us confirming promotion with a home 2-1 win over forest with the winning goal coming in the 4th minute of added on time.

12 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I dont remember the hull game having that good an atmosphere but the brighton and southampton games yes they were great.

Play offs is the way to do it if you can but our record isnt great in the play offs so I will go for us confirming promotion with a home 2-1 win over forest with the winning goal coming in the 4th minute of added on time.

I think that was down to the fact the whole crowd were too busy still arguing about whether it was right for Waffle to play a full team against Ipswich.  Pretty much everyone knew the writing was on the wall once George went down clutching his leg...

11 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Didn't mean "all", but Southampton and Brighton were in my mind, even the Forest games haven't come close.

It's those highs that make see you keep coming back through the lows, QPR was a steel toe cap to the balls, but at the opposite end the QPR fans....

If we finish top 2 I want to finish as Champions, not runners up. All you get is a banner advertising SkyBet.

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, David said:

Didn't mean "all", but Southampton and Brighton were in my mind, even the Forest games haven't come close.

It's those highs that make see you keep coming back through the lows, QPR was a steel toe cap to the balls, but at the opposite end the QPR fans....

If we finish top 2 I want to finish as Champions, not runners up. All you get is a banner advertising SkyBet.

you are right, the southampton game more than the brighton one...i can remember getting soaked walking back and didnt care everyone was buzzing. The brighton one was great but we were that good i dont think there was ever a doubt we were going through.

As i've said in the 17/18 season thread, this season the league is wide open. There isn't one clear favourite like last year, if we keep all our best players and add 1 or 2 quality additions this summer, We could be that favourite. 

hi all

Of course we're going up, if we don't believe it now then when can we? LOL.

If Huddersfield can do it then so can we! 

We've been so close so often and we just need a few in, a few out and everyone fit, especially Thorne.

Not surprised that nowt has happened yet, no point bringing in quantity rather than quality, we've done that too much in recent times, outs may happen before ins do, and there will be more outs than ins I reckon.

We'll probably end up essentially trading 3 or 4 lightweight skilful types (Ince, Anya, Camara, Olsson etc) for 1 or 2 proven Championship bruisers/motivators (Hanley or similar), including perhaps another CB.  Also we are going to need another Eustace type as backup for Thorne (can Baird play this role perhaps?).

I still maintain that GT when fit is worth any other 2 players on the pitch because he has such an impact, no wonder we only finished 9th without him and Martin, what did we expect?  Also I think that Max Lowe has the right stuff, a class act IMO and worthy of starting more often.

Hopefully we'll become harder to beat & harder to score against but still be a good passing side with pace.

How about a 3-5-1-1 for example? (just to start the ball rolling)...

Keogh/Shackell/Pearce (or whoever, anyway a tall rock solid back 3, they don't have to be pacey in the Championship)

Christie/Hughes/GOD aka. George Thorne (CAPTAIN!)/Bryson/Lowe (Thorne pulling the strings, wing backs not having to defend so much but can do so if necessary, Hughes & Bryson have pace & can also track back)

Martin or Nugent (a big man to hold the ball around the opposition box)

Vydra or Ince (free to roam and cause mayhem we hope)

There are other options for most positions, especially on the flanks, but this would give us a solid spine with runners either side and everyone playing to their strengths. 

Win home games 1-0 or 2-1, draw most away games 0-0 or 1-1 and accept a couple of away losses = 90 points!  Thoughts, people?  Feel free to disagree, August is a long way away LOL...

COYR!

LR2

1 hour ago, David said:

Given the way I felt leaving Wembley after the QPR match I will take the pink seats thanks.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Hull result wouldn't of course have helped, but there's a difference for me between it being the 1st and 2nd leg - the latter being that if you've won then you know you're at Wembley for sure. The other - well, there's still an away leg to navigate.

When I go into the office every morning, the elevator gives me a nice cheery "going up". In the evening, it says a rather melancholy "going down".

Now I know what it's like to be a Middlesbrough fan.

21 minutes ago, eddie said:

When I go into the office every morning, the elevator gives me a nice cheery "going up". In the evening, it says a rather melancholy "going down".

Now I know what it's like to be a Middlesbrough fan.

Elevator Eddie? Have you turned American?

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I think that was down to the fact the whole crowd were too busy still arguing about whether it was right for Waffle to play a full team against Ipswich.  Pretty much everyone knew the writing was on the wall once George went down clutching his leg...

Yet we spanked Hull without Thorne anyway.. Thorne had nothing to do with it. We were pants at home and the crowd never got going. Away was different, fantastic atmosphere.. 

54 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Yet we spanked Hull without Thorne anyway.. Thorne had nothing to do with it. We were pants at home and the crowd never got going. Away was different, fantastic atmosphere.. 

Sunshine and a 12 o clock kick off against hull at home - we were rubbish

evening kick off and rain vs Southampton and Brighton- we were entertaining and won eventually 

Archived