Manager Merry-Go-Round

Day

59 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Claude Puel confirmed sacked by my local mob, Southampton. 

Clearly only finishing 8th and reaching a cup final having once again sold off the previous season's top performers is rubbish.

Southampton are the victims of their own success in many ways. They're clearly a well run club in their ability to identify players and managers in a similar mould to those they replaced.

But, in the past, they've sold their best players, bought in decent players whilst making a profit. They've lost their Manager to a bigger club and brought in someone else in a similar mould, playing a similar style AND HAVE STILL managed to finish higher than previous. That approach was always going to be unsustainable.

I think this sacking is harsh - this was always going to happen: that they didn't make an upward improvement and, the league position and the stability has still be exceptional in the circumstances. But it seems that the style of play hasn't been up to much.

I'm slightly surprised that they didn't do this earlier to try to bring in Marco Silva - they clearly have their sights set higher. But if they want to make progress they have to hang on to their best players and invest.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 16:11, RamsPolls said:

Not sure how well he's going to do at Boro. They've got a good squad but is it top 2 quality?

I think Boro is a great fit. Sensible Chairman, parachute payments and ability to invest. The players they lose this summer will still lave them with a squad that has proven an ability to perform at the top of the Championship recently. They will buy. And they have a great, young, ambitious manager who knows the division and will play good, attractive football. For me, Boro are probably the team to watch this year.

4 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Claude Puel confirmed sacked by my local mob, Southampton. 

Clearly only finishing 8th and reaching a cup final having once again sold off the previous season's top performers is rubbish.

Seventeen goals at home in nineteen league games.

2 hours ago, KentRam said:

Southampton are the victims of their own success in many ways. They're clearly a well run club in their ability to identify players and managers in a similar mould to those they replaced.

But, in the past, they've sold their best players, bought in decent players whilst making a profit. They've lost their Manager to a bigger club and brought in someone else in a similar mould, playing a similar style AND HAVE STILL managed to finish higher than previous. That approach was always going to be unsustainable.

I think this sacking is harsh - this was always going to happen: that they didn't make an upward improvement and, the league position and the stability has still be exceptional in the circumstances. But it seems that the style of play hasn't been up to much.

I'm slightly surprised that they didn't do this earlier to try to bring in Marco Silva - they clearly have their sights set higher. But if they want to make progress they have to hang on to their best players and invest.

The owners are rumoured to be selling up to some far east investors. Shame if true. It is a community club - much the same as DCFC.

On 2017-5-30 at 21:24, CWC1983 said:

Sounds like Derek Mciness is going from Aberdeen to Sunderland. 

Mciness has held talks with Sunderland and turned them down. He's staying at Pittodrie. Most Sons fans thought he had gone. 

Things can't be good in Wearside, he was offered 3 times his current salary but wanted assurances on a transfer budget. Can only assume there isn't one, even though they just got £25m for Pickford. 

13 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Mciness has held talks with Sunderland and turned them down. He's staying at Pittodrie. Most Sons fans thought he had gone. 

Things can't be good in Wearside, he was offered 3 times his current salary but wanted assurances on a transfer budget. Can only assume there isn't one, even though they just got £25m for Pickford. 

That's good news! I have Phillips to be the next one with 12/1. Only fiver though...

10 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

That's good news! I have Phillips to be the next one with 12/1. Only fiver though...

Aye, strange one. Realistically he's taken the Dons as far as he could, and the time to move on is perfect. Might be waiting for WBA. I can't complain, even though I had £10 on him moving.  

Your fiver might be a decent investment because the board might now go for a fans favourite. Good luck. 

On 15/06/2017 at 20:35, David said:

QPR's wage-bill during their 2013 relegation was greater than Dortmund's Champions League Final side of the same season.

Jermain Defoe would break Juventus' wage cap.

The Premier League money might as well be invested into grassroots football and filtered down the leagues. All it's doing in the PL bubble is inflating the prices of **** players. 

6 minutes ago, cannable said:

The Premier League money might as well be invested into grassroots football and filtered down the leagues. All it's doing in the PL bubble is inflating the prices of **** players. 

My McLovin style conspiracy theory is the Premier League are expecting a European Super League to happen one day and is slowly creating the divide for a PL 2 that will one day replace the PL as the main League in England. I hope I'm wrong but that rarely happens.

How is it thousands of fans can see the problems up and down the country yet they are so blinded to what's happening, they can't be. 

The PL isn't bothered about having a competitive League, the fact clubs are going out of business for less money than a Man Utd U21 player earns a week, to them these clubs do not appear anywhere on their radar. 

For Sunderland to receive £90m in prize money and TV revenue is insane. Take £5m away and distribute that between League 2 clubs and you could just go a long way to saving one club from going bust. Would Sunderland notice that £5m gone?

Archived