How Do You Measure Value For Money?

G STAR RAM

I've seen a few posts recently about transfer fees and wages for players.

Such comments as 'he is not worth that much' or 'he is overpaid'.

So, taking comparatives out of the equation, what criteria do you use for valuing a player and how much they should be earning?

For instance, does being an international add £x on to a players value? Does 10 goals for a striker equate to £x?

Also, how do you measure how much a player should be earning? For me, the sums are that ludicrous I would really not know how to differentiate between someone being worth  £15k and £20k per week.

Look forward to peoples thoughts and feel free to value Derby players in terms of transfer fee and wages if you've nothing better to do!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's simply down to supply and demand? A bidding war if you like. 

I've pondered this and realised it's unlikely my two suggestions are true as I can think of no other clubs trying to outbid us on our recent mediocre signings. We were simply mugged. 

I think it's easy to start by valuing a team. I.e. wages spent per point achieved. And you can compare that across teams. That gives an idea of team performance relative to what we would expect.

And then you use judgment to assess whether an individual player is out performing the team average (dragging the team up or down)

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I've seen a few posts recently about transfer fees and wages for players.

Such comments as 'he is not worth that much' or 'he is overpaid'.

So, taking comparatives out of the equation, what criteria do you use for valuing a player and how much they should be earning?

For instance, does being an international add £x on to a players value? Does 10 goals for a striker equate to £x?

Also, how do you measure how much a player should be earning? For me, the sums are that ludicrous I would really not know how to differentiate between someone being worth  £15k and £20k per week.

Look forward to peoples thoughts and feel free to value Derby players in terms of transfer fee and wages if you've nothing better to do!

Great question, I have absolutely no idea..

Thanks.

Angry.

What I tend to do is stick a big number on players I like, then mock any valuation of those that I don't rate at all because it's the internet and I can.

Clubs I would imagine take it a little more serious and look at age, contract, position, League, experience/potential, is he wanted by the manager or not. Also looking what similar players have moved for. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Clubs I would imagine take it a little more serious and look at age, contract, position, League, experience/potential, is he wanted by the manager or not. Also looking what similar players have moved for. 

Not forgetting to add on 25% if the club interested have cash to splash.

3 hours ago, richinspain said:

Isn't it with a value-for-money-omiter?

Well we all have a built in one!

Just wondering what settings people have programmed in to theirs.  

Just for instance 'we shouldn't be paying Bent £x amount, well what should we paying him?

Are his 10 goals worth £1m, £500k, £50k?

Its easy to talk about buying lower league gems and getting value for money, but it would take some balls to introduce a lower league player into this group of millionaire egos....and pick him.

sheff utd have just signed this chap for 300k ,22 years old winger, and he chose them in preference to middlesboro where he could have ended up on the sidelines. Playing with confidence he's probably worth £1m. Destroy his confidence and he's worth fk all.

Archived