Emptying my brain, averageness, stability, expectations

Day

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

Spot on, Brad Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman and Vydra were top players before they came to us!

Not sure I would agree with that! 

Johnson was player of the year at Norwich, can't disagree there. Had the best season of his career, having not entirely impressed before that.

Butterfield, player of the season at Hudersfield, can't disagree there. But Huddersfield fans were not sad to see him leave, and Middlesbrough were more than happy to swap him for Adam Clayton.

Blackman, had three months where he had  the best spell of his career. Did nothing before, done nothing since.

Vydra, living off a hot spell for Watford 3 seasons ago, having disappointed everywhere else. 

Still overpaid for all four of them.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely no clear out needed! We have some really good players - our squad as it is are capable of winning the league. Gary Rowett is as capable as anyone to take a team to the next level.

Rowett's had time now to look at what needs to be done. Let him tweak and we'll be favourites next season.

3 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Stability...... Stability...... Stability....... 

You didn't look that stable in Sofia, in fact that video you looked a little drunken hitlerish ?

23 minutes ago, David said:

You didn't look that stable in Sofia, in fact that video you looked a little drunken hitlerish ?

At 85p a pint of Staropramen....... maybe I was a tad unstable.....

Just now, Mafiabob said:

At 85p a pint of Staropramen....... maybe I was a tad unstable.....

85p a pint I would have lost my phone, wallet, hotel key and my underwear most likely, your hairspray may have let you down but I was impressed by your ability to stand

6 hours ago, maxjam said:

The season we finished 3rd, a lot of our players (helped by several quality loans) had the season of their lives (Bryson for example).  We were on top, top form and unlucky not to go up.  Since then there have been flashes of brilliance but nothing on a sustained level.

Therefore, it is my opinion that we overachieved that season and there is still a lot of work to be done.

We scored 100 goals the year after, reached a cup quarter-final, took eight points from first and second and broke a clean-sheet streak record. It only went tits up when everybody got injured.

We were brilliant. 

8 minutes ago, cannable said:

We scored 100 goals the year after, reached a cup quarter-final, took eight points from first and second and broke a clean-sheet streak record. It only went tits up when everybody got injured.

We were brilliant. 

Damn right we were brilliant. The galling thing is that some of the players who got us there and were such an important part of that team were replaced by players on more money but were no better for the system we wanted to play: looking at you Pearce, Shackell, Johnson, Vydra, Blackman, Camara  etc

The likes of Ward, Dawkins and Buxton were unfairly let go/marginalised after that season.

5 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Spot on, Brad Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman and Vydra were top players before they came to us!

Which is presumably why Norwich wanted to sell Johnson ....... he'd been struggling !

IMO we are a top six Championship team if managed well. We started so badly, tried playing catch-up once Pearson had been kicked into touch, but failed. Eighth would be a very credible final position I think.

Some great points raised on here. If we don't get top 6 next season we surely can't be thinking sacking Rowett is the right answer. If we're top half and showing signs of a strong base to build on the following season, we should stick with him.

I don't think the squad that is fit or at the club right now is good enough for top 6. Add Martin, Fozzy and Thorne then it could be. Lack of balance has hurt us this season. Both Rowett and McC have not had options to change things to affect games as the players are much of a muchness.

We could ship 6-8 out and bring 3-4 in, balance the books and still be a leaner hungry more competitive squad next season. This year, 8 clear teams have been better than us. 

At last a thread where I don't have to pretend that I want to sell 12 players and bring 8 in! 

I agree with everything you said @David and have seen enough of Rowett so far to think that he will get the very best out of the players he has at his disposal next year. My only concern is whether we will make those 'right buys' to get the balance right. This for me is the tricky part because despite what is often claimed on here it is an area that is so difficult to get spot on. Even the most successful managers have a fair number of misses as well as hits.                                                                                      So, for me, it's a top six finish based on the (returning) squad we will have and a shot at top two if we do find those couple of magic ingredients. 

Archived