Derby County v Huddersfield Town

Gritstone Ram

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, kingsy1884 said:

You can say he doesn't try though he gives his all and wants to do well. Rusell is the same 2 players i think GR wants in and Around his team of the future. 

In this league you need players with the desire and energy that Russell and Anya bring. They are both flawed in different ways but they have something that too many of our players have been missing this season.... both of them get kicked, dispossessed or make a bad pass but they roll their sleeves up and go again. Perseverance.

Of course you need the skill, the flair and the creativity but without the guts to go with it then any team will wilt as we have done too often.

I feel weird writing this because I live and breath for the flair and moments of genius but we need fighters who will keep it up for the whole game even when we are buried in the solid stuff

2 minutes ago, jono said:

In this league you need players with the desire and energy that Russell and Anya bring. They are both flawed in different ways but they have something that too many of our players have been missing this season.... both of them get kicked, dispossessed or make a bad pass but they roll their sleeves up and go again. Perseverance.

Of course you need the skill, the flair and the creativity but without the guts to go with it then any team will wilt as we have done too often.

I feel weird writing this because I live and breath for the flair and moments of genius but we need fighters who will keep it up for the whole game even when we are buried in the solid stuff

If you think back to Clough's 2011 rebuild the side he built for 11/12 was all about graft. 

It was in 12/13 and 13/14 that he started buying the footballers (Keogh, Hughes, Martin).

Next season may well be a case of us getting the runners in and then to footballers come later. 

Last night summed up the season for me - 

* Could have/should have won with our expensive team.

* I couldn't understand what the plan was, or if there was one.

* Looked like we would lose, then everyone is pitifully grateful for a point.

* Made no difference to table or promotion prospects.

Fair play to Huddersfield for being so far up the table but that was the most dull uninspiring performance I've seen from anyone at Pride Park this season. 

Time wasting after 10 mins.......

Dean Whithead was picking up every 2nd ball and was brilliant at being in the right place at the right time, however, his distribution was either lump it upfield or out of play. 

Hopefully Wagner lets them off the leash in the play offs. 

As for Derby, we've seen that performance too many times in the past 18 months, lets see what GR can do in the summer. 

10 hours ago, cannable said:

If you think back to Clough's 2011 rebuild the side he built for 11/12 was all about graft. 

It was in 12/13 and 13/14 that he started buying the footballers (Keogh, Hughes, Martin).

Next season may well be a case of us getting the runners in and then to footballers come later. 

When did he buy Hughes?

He did buy Sammon though

On 4/18/2017 at 00:44, RamNut said:

He often drifts in-field, forcing olsson to do the really hard work - taking on the full back.

Depends what the market throws up this summer?

He might drift in-field,probably taking an opponent with him,to leave space for Olsson to attack (after all,he used to be a winger and has often shown an ability to take his man on).I've noticed Olsson nearly always tries to find our wide man with a crisp pass,on the deck,down the line.Now if he can't do that,you'd expect our man to get out of line,to form a triangle with Olsson and opponent (assuming Olsson didn't have a pass inside to one of our midfielders,thus making another possible triangle)-as it wouldn't be a great idea for our winger to jump into the stands,he's obviously going to pull inside.

Although I've played a bit of amateur football,and reckon I could at least know as much about the game as the next man/woman,I don't post much on football matters.None of us know what specific instructions individual players might be under and I tend to agree with  Scarlet Pimpernel that it's over analysed on here.What I do know is that without the basics of sheer hard work,you're going to get nowhere. This generates good movement when in possession,thus giving more passing options and making the pass easier.There's also the other movement,dragging an opponent with you,to create a gap.Out of possession,it enables better pressing/tracking back.I don't care what system you play,without this you're nothing.Brighton are great at it,and much as I hate to say it,so were Leeds v us at Elland Road.Although both have some decent talent,they're not exactly bursting at the seams with it.

Obviously,the last paragraph wasn't a reply to your post.

Archived