Derby County v Huddersfield Town

Gritstone Ram

Today was like a performance from the Clement era, something I really didn't want to see again. Plenty of possession, but no initiative from any of the players to do something productive. 

The crosses from the full backs were really, really poor. I, unfortunately for the state of my mental health, watched the Fulham game prior to Derby one on Sky and whilst I think ours aren't too bad at actually defending, their two were streets ahead when putting crosses in to the box. Today, we seemingly put too much of our game plan on our full backs. I could be wrong, but it seemed like every attack lead to them having it in a wide position with people crowding the box. We are utterly inept at crossing the ball in those situations. 

It's plain for me to see that we don't have enough quality in the final third, certainly not what we thought we have. At the same time, I'm struggling to get excited about the summer as I don't believe the freedom is there for us to go get quality. I imagine that we will be taking a lot perceived gambles, which would be fine if they were all vetted properly, but I doubt they will. 

Ultimately we lack creativity throughout the squad. We have no one who is capable of creating goalscoring opportunities on a regular basis. I would say that needs addressing more than anything else come this summer. 

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Today was like a performance from the Clement era, something I really didn't want to see again. Plenty of possession, but no initiative from any of the players to do something productive. 

The crosses from the full backs were really, really poor. I, unfortunately for the state of my mental health, watched the Fulham game prior to Derby one on Sky and whilst I think ours aren't too bad at actually defending, their two were streets ahead when putting crosses in to the box. Today, we seemingly put too much of our game plan on our full backs. I could be wrong, but it seemed like every attack lead to them having it in a wide position with people crowding the box. We are utterly inept at crossing the ball in those situations. 

It's plain for me to see that we don't have enough quality in the final third, certainly not what we thought we have. At the same time, I'm struggling to get excited about the summer as I don't believe the freedom is there for us to go get quality. I imagine that we will be taking a lot perceived gambles, which would be fine if they were all vetted properly, but I doubt they will. 

Ultimately we lack creativity throughout the squad. We have no one who is capable of creating goalscoring opportunities on a regular basis. I would say that needs addressing more than anything else come this summer. 

Only watched the second half today,but it seemed to me that against a congested centre,trying to get the ball wide had to be the right tactic.Gary can't really do too much if the delivery is poor-it's long been a problem.Did notice that we seemed to be getting some joy down the left,until Wagner made a change.Fair play to him for that.

Didn't see anything of the game, but I did hear Rowett's radio derby interview and he is bloody impressive and knows where he's going and has had a firm idea formed within a few days of joining.

Also interesting that the players gave up when Wednesday beat Newcastle (probably hence the Brentford towel chucking in of)

1 minute ago, ramblur said:

Only watched the second half today,but it seemed to me that against a congested centre,trying to get the ball wide had to be the right tactic.Gary can't really do too much if the delivery is poor-it's long been a problem.Did notice that we seemed to be getting some joy down the left,until Wagner made a change.Fair play to him for that.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, i'm not against the tactic at all. It's just frustrating that our two full backs lack the quality in those positions to make it count. If we're planning on going in to next season with an obvious emphasis on the full backs providing that service then we need to target players who fit the role better.

Christie and Olsson are decent defenders, but both struggle when tasked to create a chance or provide a bit of craft in the final third. 

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Didn't see anything of the game, but I did hear Rowett's radio derby interview and he is bloody impressive and knows where he's going and has had a firm idea formed within a few days of joining.

Also interesting that the players gave up when Wednesday beat Newcastle (probably hence the Brentford towel chucking in of)

I don't quite see how he could have watched every match from this season, plus most of last season within 3 days of his appointment.

It was also interesting that he didn't want the last 3 games and would rather the season was over now.

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, i'm not against the tactic at all. It's just frustrating that our two full backs lack the quality in those positions to make it count. If we're planning on going in to next season with an obvious emphasis on the full backs providing that service then we need to target players who fit the role better.

Christie and Olsson are decent defenders, but both struggle when tasked to create a chance or provide a bit of craft in the final third. 

From the little I saw,Anya seemed to be getting into several crossing positions.Perhaps more  a case of which of the 2 could be played in,rather than an emphasis on Olsson being the one? On the other side,Ince has never struck me as one who particularly wants to put crosses in,so if Christie plays he's naturally going to be the one doing it? I'll probably upset a lot of people by suggesting that Ince may well be moved on (off to the bunker -me,that is).

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

I don't quite see how he could have watched every match from this season, plus most of last season within 3 days of his appointment.

It was also interesting that he didn't want the last 3 games and would rather the season was over now.

I'm sure he couldn't have literally watched that many hours of footage in three days!

I got the sense he knows what he's doing in the summer and just wants to get to it ASAP - suggests no one is really forcing him into reconsidering his plans with nothing on the season.

Also worried when he mentioned players who haven't featured......is he not a GT believer?

23 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I didn't hear him, what did he say?

9 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm sure he couldn't have literally watched that many hours of footage in three days!

I got the sense he knows what he's doing in the summer and just wants to get to it ASAP - suggests no one is really forcing him into reconsidering his plans with nothing on the season.

Also worried when he mentioned players who haven't featured......is he not a GT believer?

He could have seen a lot of games before he came,and just caught up on the ones he'd missed? Think when he mentioned players who hadn't featured,it was more in terms of some being part of the 'additions'?

2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

It was definitely aimed at the away supporters, his head nearly fell off craning his neck to them as he ran past the east stand.

Ok I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...heard the 'what a waste of money' chant.

First goal this season weren't it, and that from a big deflection.

If he was indeed giving it back to the away fans, who was right him or them I wonder...

Maybe he said "within 3 days" to stop people wondering why he'd previously been watching a lot of our games:D.When you think about it,for starters,he'd probably have watched our many televised games,he'd obviously have seen us v Brum earlier in the season,and may well have watched us in preparation for that (including videos,as he strikes me as being a pretty thorough guy)

22 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

Christie or Olson CANNOT cross a ball 

They've done it enough times,it's just that they don't seem able to pick out our men very often! Understand what you meant though.

16 minutes ago, Stripperg-ram said:

I didn't hear him, what did he say?

Not so much what he said about today's game (deserved a point, Hughes and Anya did OK) as the impression that he knows exactly what he's doing over the summer and can't wait to do it. Think he wants the new season to start with the team GE wants right away!

17 minutes ago, ramblur said:

He could have seen a lot of games before he came,and just caught up on the ones he'd missed? Think when he mentioned players who hadn't featured,it was more in terms of some being part of the 'additions'?

I agree in think he is alluding to players who havnt offered us anything of value. Your Camaras and Blackmans of this side i think. 

If GR has truly watched the videos he will see what Thorne brings that 'power' and Championship nouse that he sass hinting at. Only downside is he is made of glass. 

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

I was surprised by the Anya comment. I thought he was as quite poor. Gave the ball away quite alot.

You can say he doesn't try though he gives his all and wants to do well. Rusell is the same 2 players i think GR wants in and Around his team of the future. 

1 minute ago, kingsy1884 said:

I agree in think he is alluding to players who havnt offered us anything of value. Your Camaras and Blackmans of this side i think. 

If GR has truly watched the videos he will see what Thorne brings that 'power' and Championship nouse that he sass hinting at. Only downside is he is made of glass. 

So's Waterford Crystal,but I wouldn't throw that out:D

Archived