Steve McClaren - End Of An Era (With Video)

DerbyGoals

7 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

I had the(very unexpected pleasure) of meeting him recently and our meeting left a lasting impression on me and my family.

What a fantastic fella and an utter gentleman.

I wish him all the best and thank him for his time.

I really wanted him to turn it around.

Tell us more conehead

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all of this I can only offer an opinion because none of us know how effective he has been with the resources at his disposal or indeed how he might have taken the side forwards.

He comes across as a decent chap and is capable of getting his teams to play attacking football.

Whether or not he can instil a winning discipline when times get tough I am slightly less convinced.

However, this is also down to individual players. We have signed a lot of pretty footballers who can run and do tricks but who struggle with the physical side.

Even Keogh at centre half (and he's a good player) gets shoved around far too easily. 

I think Rowett might have a better idea of the characters required to take the club forward.

Steve may have had his day and might be better suited to a director of football role, but whatever he does I wish him well.

On 19/03/2017 at 13:00, coneheadjohn said:

I had the(very unexpected pleasure) of meeting him recently and our meeting left a lasting impression on me and my family.

What a fantastic fella and an utter gentleman.

I wish him all the best and thank him for his time.

I really wanted him to turn it around.

I think he could have but he wasn't given the time to do the job. I also think Rowatt could do it and worry that he won't be given the time either. Fingers crossed heh?

1 hour ago, DerbyGoals said:

Call it what you will.. if I asked you to name your top 5 Derby games over the last 6 years, how many would be from McClaren teams?

Forest 5-0

Wolves 5-0

Fulham 5-2

Brighton 4-1

Hull 4-0.

4/5 for me. 

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

Forest 5-0

Wolves 5-0

Fulham 5-2

Brighton 4-1

Hull 4-0.

4/5 for me. 

I don't think the Wolves or Hull victories were that spectacular. Against Wolves in particular, we seemed to just score with every attack and at least three of the goals were so poor defensively from their point of view.

I know that wasn't the original question, but those two wouldn't make my 'best wins from the past 5/6 years' as I'd be more inclined to look at the performances and general surprise element.

Forest, Fulham and Brighton are definitely in there. But I'd also add Watford away (2-1) in McClaren's second season. For 60 minutes of that game we played a very good team off the park on their own patch.

The Yeovil 0-3 Derby match was also up there. Was probably the first time under Nigel Clough in five long years where we actually went away from home and played with such positivity. We battered them.

But I think the Hull 0-2 Derby playoff second leg makes my list. We could hve thrown in the towel after the first leg but we didn't. Hendrick, Hughes and Bryson returned as our midfield three and we came so close to pulling off arguably the greatest comeback in recent Derby history.

7 hours ago, DerbyGoals said:

Call it what you will.. if I asked you to name your top 5 Derby games over the last 6 years, how many would be from McClaren teams?

The problem is that most of those were from Clough's team that McClaren inherited. He's a feelgood coach who is good at making the players smile, but once things get serious he's got nothing more to give. 

Obviously 2013-14 had some brilliant games, but there were far fewer the season after. The last half of 2014-15 we were appallingly bad. This season when McClaren first came back the results were good, but the football never brilliant. We had also reverted to be very poor on the pitch by the end. It's the usual McClaren pattern.

He was worth a try in 2013, but it was a stupid move to bring him back in 2016.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't think the Wolves or Hull victories were that spectacular. Against Wolves in particular, we seemed to just score with every attack and at least three of the goals were so poor defensively from their point of view.

I know that wasn't the original question, but those two wouldn't make my 'best wins from the past 5/6 years' as I'd be more inclined to look at the performances and general surprise element.

Forest, Fulham and Brighton are definitely in there. But I'd also add Watford away (2-1) in McClaren's second season. For 60 minutes of that game we played a very good team off the park on their own patch.

The Yeovil 0-3 Derby match was also up there. Was probably the first time under Nigel Clough in five long years where we actually went away from home and played with such positivity. We battered them.

But I think the Hull 0-2 Derby playoff second leg makes my list. We could hve thrown in the towel after the first leg but we didn't. Hendrick, Hughes and Bryson returned as our midfield three and we came so close to pulling off arguably the greatest comeback in recent Derby history.

Fair assessment, for me my best wins are the ones that personally I found the most entertaining, and both Wolves and Hull I enjoyed watching very much, so that's why I included those two. I went to the 3-0 Yeovil win away, and there was some scintillating football being played, with the Russell goal (?) I think being about 20 passes if I remember correctly. Must admit, I was questioning whether to put the Hull 4-0 or the Hull 2-0 in, I narrowly went with the 4-0, however should we have brought it back to 3-3 the playoff leg at Hull would certainly have been in there. 

Archived