Steve McClaren - End Of An Era (With Video)

DerbyGoals

McClaren had a spell as player, assistant to Jim Smith and twice as a manager? Regardless of opinions on him,he has been centrally involved in the best football a lot of Derby fans have seen. My personal highlight will have to be Derby V Brighton in the 2nd leg at home, I have not had that sort of feeling from football since...special day and special atmosphere regardless of Wembley...what is your highlight of his time as assistant or manager?

Also cheeky plug for my new video! Bit on the long side and may not be available on mobile phones, due to YouTube's copyright on one or 2 of the songs I used..annoying I know.  Would appreciate a like and share. Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sort of puts things in perspective a little. He has orchestrated the best and most enjoyable football I have seen at Derby. Still torn on the sacking and I guess I'll only know how I feel in hindsight, not convinced he had the answers at this moment and with this group of players. 

Never the less, Steve will always be a hero in my eyes and I hope he remembers us as fondly as I will him.

1 hour ago, Derbydave96 said:

Sort of puts things in perspective a little. He has orchestrated the best and most enjoyable football I have seen at Derby. Still torn on the sacking and I guess I'll only know how I feel in hindsight, not convinced he had the answers at this moment and with this group of players. 

Never the less, Steve will always be a hero in my eyes and I hope he remembers us as fondly as I will him.

Prob be back in 6 months?

32 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Should have never been sacked. He knew the squad needed changing but was wrongly not given the chance

Give me a break. The dude was utterly clueless and the fact that the team was actually getting worse and losing more with less effort as he got to implement his style speaks volumes. Never liked him then and don't like him now. And I'm not going to partake in nostalgia about someone who with resources at his disposal, accomplished nothing except to hold us back. 

37 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Give me a break. The dude was utterly clueless and the fact that the team was actually getting worse and losing more with less effort as he got to implement his style speaks volumes. Never liked him then and don't like him now. And I'm not going to partake in nostalgia about someone who with resources at his disposal, accomplished nothing except to hold us back. 

He didn't make as good a job of holding us back as Pearson did. :angry:

Ha! You know you "could" argue that Pearson built a great defence and he had just figured it out, set the lineup for us to go start winning, then once mac comes in the Pearson roll continued until the players started adapting to the Mcclaren way - underperforming, losing, and leaking goals like its going out of style. Just sayin. 

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Ha! You know you "could" argue that Pearson built a great defence and he had just figured it out, set the lineup for us to go start winning, then once mac comes in the Pearson roll continued until the players started adapting to the Mcclaren way - underperforming, losing, and leaking goals like its going out of style. Just sayin. 

Well.....you could........

5 hours ago, Ninos said:

God you don't have spout some utter tosh don't you. This is almost as bad as your Martin hatred.

We've enjoyed some of the best football in recent memory under Mac and you still dislike him.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Well.....you could........

I would imagine Pearson would prob make that case in the Norwich interview - and that he needed more time to fully turn around the mentality. Don't buy it personally primarily because there was no attacking movement with his side and his midfield never showed for the ball - just basic really. 

4 hours ago, DRBee said:

He didn't make as good a job of holding us back as Pearson did. :angry:

Perhaps but his whole approach was not only to hold us back but rather to take us back in time when even by his own admission towards the end, 'everyone is playing football now' not just a few teams.

Archived