Macs our man ! Now let's get behind him

RiddingsRam

1 hour ago, marbs_ram said:

Was watching the 5-0 beating of forest and when we scored the commentator said it was our first goal in six hours and ten minutes. 

Yep,I've obviously watched that video about 500 times and it illustrates how we had a bad run in 2013/4 too before devastating several teams following it...

In the past few games,if we had a bit of luck it could have gone the same way.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Why do I care about a clean sheet record having conceded 3 at Norwich, 3 at Leicester and 7 at home to Bristol and Cardiff?

Why do you care about 13 goals conceded over 4 games having broken a clean sheet record?

Like he said. Football is played over a season. 

45 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

I posted this earlier, more success than failures:

Middlesbrough - 14th in the PL to League Cup success & UEFA final. 

England - debatable as we're always rubbish - missed qualifications, not the first manager to do that - but let's say worse off

Twente (1) - 4th in the table to champions

Wolfsburg - didn't finish a season, arguably worse off but no relegation

Forest - Noped right out of that one 

Twente (2) - no change, joined them at 6th, left them in 6th.

Derby (1) - lower mid table to play off finalists, then missed out on play offs season after.

Newcastle - Lower to relegation scrap - so worse off.

Derby (2) - 22nd to 11th so far

You'd think that;

Rowett only ended with a win % of 39.6 overall whilst at Brum.

At the tail end of last season he oversaw a return of 12pts from a possible 42pts (2 wins in 14 games). So debatable as to how much he can really motivate them to the "best" of their abilities. McClaren's win % is better. 

Ahhh win percentage?

I'll give you an example it mean's little to me.

Mcclaren 54% win in his first spell.

Jim Smith; 35%

Billy Davies: 44%

Brian Clough: 46%

Now which of the four win % achieved promotion, which won a league title and which is still sitting in the Championship?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So why are you moaning on when it's not May duh?

Why are you bringing up a clean sheet record? What's that got to do with anything, great we kept a few clean sheets. But what does that matter this present day? mid table, can't buy a win and conceding goals for fun. 

Means little that record. 

May? Well lets see, the season ends in May, we are fast approaching the end of the season and we have become worst over the last three months. I look forward, not back

Just now, Papahet said:

Why are you bringing up a clean sheet record? What's that got to do with anything, great we kept a few clean sheets. But what does that matter this present day? mid table, can't buy a win and conceding goals for fun. 

Means little that record

Why are you moaning now?

1 minute ago, Papahet said:

Ahhh win percentage?

I'll give you an example it mean's little to me. Mcclaren 54% win in his first spell.

Jim Smith; 35%

Billy Davies: 44%

Brian Clough: 46%

Now which of the four win % achieved promotion, which won a league title and which is still sitting in the Championship?

Okay, they mean little to you. Fair enough, I assume you judge a succesfull manager on trophies alone? 

56 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

Mac is a very good coach and had great success as an assistant manager but has shown that he is a very average manager as per his record. His last success was 7 years ago and has a very poor record ever since. We will not be going anywhere with him as manager. Of course I would love to be proved wrong and eat humble pie but I suspect I won't  

A bit like teachers pointing out the kids at school to not bother with because they're stupid and they always fail. You've written him off already.

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

I've never even mentioned Rowett.

But as you will, he can get a average set of players and somehow motivate them to their best abilities. Can Mcclaren?

That was a general question not specifically aimed at you, there seems a clamour for him in some quarters.

We don't have an average set of players on paper, he might thrive with a better squad BUT SM's win % is still sufficient enough to give him time to mouldy the squad back to his. 

He motivated the players in 2013 and when he came back, a run of 8 games doesn't undo all of that. As long as we don't go into free fall he has to be given next season.

2 hours ago, Papahet said:

Why does it matter when I look at the table? Why should I go off stats? We have been a Championship club for nine years, there's your stat right there. Its fine looking at his win % and saying it's great, but what's it matter? We are still failing to get out the division aren't we?

"Mcclarens a great coach" is pretty much all I'm reading - Can't be that much cop if he still hasn't addressed our lousy defending at set pieces. Can't be that great if none of our players have improved over the last three months...

Why hasn't a club other than us come in for him if he's so great anyway? coaching, assistant, manager? We are the only club who'd have  employed him. That's all there is to know 

How do you know we were the only club to go for him?

He maybe wanted a break to take stock, didn't fancy certain offers whether they were here or abroad, the money wasn't right etc.

i don't think he would have come here if it wasn't for the first time, Newcastle knocked his confidence as much as the England job imo.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why are you moaning now?

You can't prove me wrong, so i'm "moaning" :lol:

Mac has the hack of going on a run and getting into a good position, yet constantly fails in the end.

Wembley 2014 was the chance to prove the doubters and surprise surprise he blew it, He blew it again the following season. Blew it at Newcastle and he's done it again this season. We should be in those play offs, we are mid table and looking over our shoulder. People will say "look at Pearson". But Mcclaren had the chance to be a legend here by getting us into the top six after such a poor start to the season. I wasn't surprised by the run we went on and i'm certainly not surprised by our current slump. 

What's his win % from December to February? Seeing has percentages what everyone is going off.  have a look it's disastrous.

Why can't you or anyone else see it? Oh I agree 2013/14 was great football, but that was solely down to the fact we was the "surprise package". The following season we cocked up abit like we have done this season - the post New Year "bottle job". Mcclaren can't maintain it, nor can the players.

Get rid, start again and get rid of this fookin "bottlers" tag once and for all.

Couldn't give a toss about stability, it's another overused word. Look at Leeds, how many managers this past three years? and they are above us with Garry Monk in his first season. Huddersfield another.

12 minutes ago, Papahet said:

You can't prove me wrong, so i'm "moaning" :lol:

Mac has the hack of going on a run and getting into a good position, yet constantly fails in the end.

Wembley 2014 was the chance to prove the doubters and surprise surprise he blew it, He blew it again the following season. Blew it at Newcastle and he's done it again this season. We should be in those play offs, we are mid table and looking over our shoulder. People will say "look at Pearson". But Mcclaren had the chance to be a legend here by getting us into the top six after such a poor start to the season. I wasn't surprised by the run we went on and i'm certainly not surprised by our current slump. 

What's his win % from December to February? Seeing has percentages what everyone is going off. Go on, have a look it's disastrous.

Why can't you or anyone else see it? Oh I agree 2013/14 was great football, but that was solely down to the fact we was the "surprise package". The following season we cocked up abit like we have done this season - the post New Year "bottle job". Mcclaren can't maintain it, nor can the players.

Get rid, start again and get rid of this fookin "bottlers" tag once and for all.

For saying you don't look to the past, you're very quick to use it as the rope to hang McClaren with.

He didn't blow anything at Wembley, we don't exactly have a 100% record there. Considering he was the one who showed the potential this team has in the first place I don't think you can even say he blew the play offs the year after. Where were we under NC? I think a 12th place finish was our best season with him. We've never been lower than that with Mac in charge. 

No one is denying this recent run is awful, but I'm sure I can quote you any win % you like for any of the "successful" managers you listed earlier, and show they had awful runs too, but since you asked:

Dec 13 - Feb 14: 68.8%

Dec 14 - Feb 15:  60%

Dec 16 - Feb 17: 37.5%

Apart from this year, looks alright to me. 

21 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

For saying you don't look to the past, you're very quick to use it as the rope to hang McClaren with.

He didn't blow anything at Wembley, we don't exactly have a 100% record there. Considering he was the one who showed the potential this team has in the first place I don't think you can even say he blew the play offs the year after. Where were we under NC? I think a 12th place finish was our best season with him. We've never been lower than that with Mac in charge. 

No one is denying this recent run is awful, but I'm sure I can quote you any win % you like for any of the "successful" managers you listed earlier, and show they had awful runs too, but since you asked:

We should have gone up the following season after Wembley, 14/15. Injuries will always be used has the excuse, but bloody hell that happens at every club on this planet. You have to be prepared and we wasn't. Albentosa, Warnock wtf?

Did you not see my post earlier regarding win percents? It means jack.

Smith, Clough and Davies have worst win % than Mcclaren and yet they either achieved a league title or a promotion with us. It doesn't give you much of a insight to success going by percents. We was pushing towards European football under Jim Smith, does the 35% win reflect this? 

Mac and this squad have struggled each season from December till March (I know I said February earlier, apologies). The club need's a complete overhaul, not just the playing squad but the management, the recruitment and especially the coaching.

28 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

I would have said not to bother Dave, as it is one of his myths that has been proven to be wrong before (changed it to December in this thread instead of January and February though and it was about this team not Mac) then when proven wrong move s the goal posts.

On 23/02/2017 at 16:40, rynny said:

13/14 - W5 D2 L2 and a FA cup game vs Chelsea

14/15 - W6 & 2 FA cup games D2 L2 and a FA cup game

15/16 - W2 & 1 FA cup game D3 L5 and 1 FA cup game

On 23/02/2017 at 17:19, Papahet said:

"From" was the word I put for a reason though. 

13/14 - Look at the month of March; 8 points from a possible 21. 

14/15 - How many games did we win from March till May? Just in 12 :whistle: 

15/16 - We didn't win a league game from Dec 26 - Feb 20 :whistle::whistle:

16/17 - Another post January melt down. 

Just now, Papahet said:

We should have gone up the following season after Wembley, 14/15. Injuries will always be used has the excuse, but bloody hell that happens at every club on this planet. You have to be prepared and we wasn't.

Did you not see my post earlier regarding win percents? It means jack.

Smith, Clough and Davies have worst win % than Mcclaren and yet they either achieved a league title or a promotion with us. It doesn't give you much of a insight to success going by percents. We was pushing towards European football under Jim Smith, does the 35% win reflect this? 

Mac and this squad have struggled each season from December till March (I know I said February earlier, apologies). The club need's a complete overhaul, not just the playing squad but the management, the recruitment and especially the coaching.

Why should we have gone up? Because we got to the play-offs the year before? It doesn't work like that and you know it. 

If win %'s mean jack why are you so bothered about McClaren's between those months? 

I agree the recruitment has been a joke at times, that more than the management needs changing for me. 

@Papahet is so obviously right it's ridiculous. 

Lets just move on to reality and figure out when he will be gone. After the Barnsley game if we don't win is my guess or otherwise end of season. I'd give Chris Powell a chance a run of games to show something. Rory Delap to assist? Can't do any worse.

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

@Papahet is so obviously right it's ridiculous. 

Lets just move on to reality and figure out when he will be gone. After the Barnsley game if we don't win is my guess or otherwise end of season. I'd give Chris Powell a chance a run of games to show something. Rory Delap to assist? Can't do any worse.

Good job you're not in charge at DCFC. 

20 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Why should we have gone up? Because we got to the play-offs the year before? It doesn't work like that and you know it. 

If win %'s mean jack why are you so bothered about McClaren's between those months? 

I agree the recruitment has been a joke at times, that more than the management needs changing for me. 

Don't waste your time mrdave85. :lol:

1 hour ago, mrdave85 said:

Why should we have gone up?

Well, check the results prior to February 2015, before the annual collapse. To even finish outside the play offs was some achievement.

You are giving me Rowett's win percentage, why? I haven't a clue. But Mcclaren, when we need to be winning (important) games cannot get his sides performing. What's his win ratio since the Leeds defeat in December? Dismal.

The rut goes on and on and on. I know every club has a "blip" at some stage, but it lasts for literally weeks, months(!) on end under Mcclaren. It's more than a blip in my opinion, the side peak's too soon. Mcclaren wave's his magic when he first comes in, you'll see the result turnaround but then what happens? It's back down to the usual with the club. "no bottle", "no plan b" blah blah. Excuse after excuse. Fact is the club isn't good enough for the Premiership.

Him and Evans aren't the way forward, fook me Chris Evans ft The Mac? They brought in Leon piggin' Best to solve our crisis. What a masterstroke 

Archived