Macs our man ! Now let's get behind him

RiddingsRam

Not really a fan of Wiki, but...

Middlesborough:

McClaren was accused by rival managers of having a "pot of gold" provided by Gibson to buy players, giving him an advantage over other teams (except perhaps the biggest few clubs in the league) when signing players.[34] Despite this, towards the latter end of his tenure McClaren was criticised by some supporters for using negative tactics and earning Middlesbrough the tag of a "dull" side. Some observers attributed Middlesbrough's success to the senior, experienced players in the side rather than McClaren's managerial ability.

England:

•  England hit a poor run of form between October 2006 and March 2007 with only one goal scored in five matches, by which time they had fallen to fourth in their qualification group.
  • The results of other matches in England's qualification group meant that England would qualify as the second place team by avoiding a loss in their final group match against Croatia, who had already clinched first place in the group. The match was played at Wembley on 21 November 2007 and England lost 3–2; coupled with Russia's victory over Andorra, this meant that England failed to qualify for Euro 2008 It was the first time in 14 years that England had not qualified for a major tournament, and the first time in 24 years that they had not qualified for the European Championships.

Wolfsburg:

• Wolfsburg lost their first three league matches under McClaren – including a 2–1 injury time away loss to Bayern Munich on the opening day of the season, followed by a 4–3 home loss to Mainz having led 3–0 after 30 minutes - Sound familar?!

Forest:

• After Forest only won eight points from his first ten league games in charge, McClaren resigned as manager.

Twente:

• After growing criticism from supporters, McClaren resigned

Derby:

• Derby enjoyed a strong opening two-thirds of the 2014–15 season, topping the table on three separate occasions and reaching the League Cup quarter-finals. However, after a 2–0 victory over Charlton Athletic on 24 February took Derby to the top of the division, their form nose-dived and they managed just two wins, against eventually relegated Wigan Athletic and Blackpool, in their remaining 13 fixtures.
  • They missed out on the play-offs altogether after a 3–0 defeat at home to Reading on the last day of the season

Newcastle:

• On 18 October 2015, after eight matches without a win, McClaren won his first Premier League game as manager of Newcastle with a 6–2 home victory against Norwich City. This was McClaren's first win in the Premier League since his Middlesbrough side beat West Ham 2–0 on 17 April 2006.
  • Six days after a 3–1 home defeat to AFC Bournemouth, McClaren was sacked by Newcastle on 11 March 2016

Manager Honours:

Middlesbrough

Football League Cup: 2003–04

FC Twente

Eredivisie: 2009–10

His success was mainly built from his assistant sin with Fergie if anything, bar a cup win in 04 with Boro and the Eredivisie seven years ago, what's he done of any note since? His CV speaks "failure", we are the only club who'd have touched him. His transfer business at Newcastle was there for all to see, no idea why people have confidence in him and Evans this Summer to re-vamp the squad. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Papahet said:

His CV speaks "failure", we are the only club who'd have touched him. His transfer business at Newcastle was there for all to see, no idea why people have confidence in him and Evans this Summer to re-vamp the squad. 

His CV only speaks failure if you ignore the success!

Why not check out lots of managers CVs and see how much failure they've had?

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

His CV only speaks failure if you ignore the success!

Why not check out lots of managers CVs and see how much failure they've had?

His last success was in Holland ..seven years ago <_<

Before that, it was the Cup and Euro run with Boro 13 years ago, anything before that was when he was Smith and Fergie's assistant.

Heck, even Rotherham cocked their noses up at Mcclaren last season.

Just now, Papahet said:

His last success was in Holland ..seven years ago <_<

Before that, it was the Cup and Euro run with Boro 13 years ago, anything before that was when he was Smith and Fergie's assistant.

Heck, even Rotherham cocked their noses up at Mcclaren last season.

Whatever, he's still had success and is a very good coach. If Rotherham can do better then let them.

How many more managers shall we go through - remember the post about Mac having some of the best stats in the last 40 years - before we get better than Mac?

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Middlesborough:

McClaren was accused by rival managers of having a "pot of gold" provided by Gibson to buy players, giving him an advantage over other teams (except perhaps the biggest few clubs in the league) when signing players.[34] Despite this, towards the latter end of his tenure McClaren was criticised by some supporters for using negative tactics and earning Middlesbrough the tag of a "dull" side. Some observers attributed Middlesbrough's success to the senior, experienced players in the side rather than McClaren's managerial ability.

England:

•  England hit a poor run of form between October 2006 and March 2007 with only one goal scored in five matches, by which time they had fallen to fourth in their qualification group.
  • The results of other matches in England's qualification group meant that England would qualify as the second place team by avoiding a loss in their final group match against Croatia, who had already clinched first place in the group. The match was played at Wembley on 21 November 2007 and England lost 3–2; coupled with Russia's victory over Andorra, this meant that England failed to qualify for Euro 2008 It was the first time in 14 years that England had not qualified for a major tournament, and the first time in 24 years that they had not qualified for the European Championships.

Wolfsburg:

• Wolfsburg lost their first three league matches under McClaren – including a 2–1 injury time away loss to Bayern Munich on the opening day of the season, followed by a 4–3 home loss to Mainz having led 3–0 after 30 minutes - Sound familar?!

Forest:

• After Forest only won eight points from his first ten league games in charge, McClaren resigned as manager.

Twente:

• After growing criticism from supporters, McClaren resigned

Derby:

• Derby enjoyed a strong opening two-thirds of the 2014–15 season, topping the table on three separate occasions and reaching the League Cup quarter-finals. However, after a 2–0 victory over Charlton Athletic on 24 February took Derby to the top of the division, their form nose-dived and they managed just two wins, against eventually relegated Wigan Athletic and Blackpool, in their remaining 13 fixtures.
  • They missed out on the play-offs altogether after a 3–0 defeat at home to Reading on the last day of the season

Newcastle:

• On 18 October 2015, after eight matches without a win, McClaren won his first Premier League game as manager of Newcastle with a 6–2 home victory against Norwich City. This was McClaren's first win in the Premier League since his Middlesbrough side beat West Ham 2–0 on 17 April 2006.
  • Six days after a 3–1 home defeat to AFC Bournemouth, McClaren was sacked by Newcastle on 11 March 2016

Manager Honours:

Middlesbrough

Football League Cup: 2003–04

FC Twente

Eredivisie: 2009–10

His success was mainly built from his assistant sin with Fergie if anything, bar a cup win in 04 with Boro and the Eredivisie seven years ago, what's he done of any note since? His CV speaks "failure", we are the only club who'd have touched him. His transfer business at Newcastle was there for all to see, no idea why people have confidence in him and Evans this Summer to re-vamp the squad. 

So tell me what success is on Rowetts CV that makes some fans so eager to appoint him?

Being young and hungry isn't a qualification.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Whatever, he's still had success and is a very good coach. If Rotherham can do better then let them.

How many more managers shall we go through - remember the post about Mac having some of the best stats in the last 40 years - before we get better than Mac?

Billy Davies has "success", let's get him back then. Atleast he has a promotion to his name, does Mac?

However many more managers it takes. It didn't harm Watford in 14/15 having the hire-fire approach. I don't really go off stats, much prefer to see the league table and points talley :)

6 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

So tell me what success is on Rowetts CV that makes some fans so eager to appoint him?

Being young and hungry isn't a qualification.

I've never even mentioned Rowett.

But as you will, he can get a average set of players and somehow motivate them to their best abilities. Can Mcclaren?

4 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Billy Davies has "success", let's get him back then. Atleast he has a promotion to his name, does Mac?

However many more managers it takes. It didn't harm Watford in 14/15 having the hire-fire approach. I don't really go off stats, much prefer to see the league table and points talley :)

When do you look at the league table? Each week and then fire the manager, or give them a month - check at the end of the month? The point about Watford has already been made and basically the 'dropped' another coach into a system. We could do that here but I don't think Mel has enough money for the constant chopping and changing.

Mac is a very good coach and had great success as an assistant manager but has shown that he is a very average manager as per his record. His last success was 7 years ago and has a very poor record ever since. We will not be going anywhere with him as manager. Of course I would love to be proved wrong and eat humble pie but I suspect I won't  

6 minutes ago, Papahet said:

But as you will, he can get a average set of players and somehow motivate them to their best abilities. Can Mcclaren?

Yes. But the problem with average players is they don't tend to be consistent. What's to say Rowett wouldn't leave us for a Prem club if he was here and won a few games, like he did to Burton?

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

His CV speaks "failure"

I posted this earlier, more success than failures:

Middlesbrough - 14th in the PL to League Cup success & UEFA final. 

England - debatable as we're always rubbish - missed qualifications, not the first manager to do that - but let's say worse off

Twente (1) - 4th in the table to champions

Wolfsburg - didn't finish a season, arguably worse off but no relegation

Forest - Noped right out of that one 

Twente (2) - no change, joined them at 6th, left them in 6th.

Derby (1) - lower mid table to play off finalists, then missed out on play offs season after.

Newcastle - Lower to relegation scrap - so worse off.

Derby (2) - 22nd to 11th so far

5 minutes ago, Papahet said:

You'd think that;

Rowett only ended with a win % of 39.6 overall whilst at Brum.

At the tail end of last season he oversaw a return of 12pts from a possible 42pts (2 wins in 14 games). So debatable as to how much he can really motivate them to the "best" of their abilities. McClaren's win % is better. 

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

When do you look at the league table? Each week and then fire the manager, or give them a month - check at the end of the month? The point about Watford has already been made and basically the 'dropped' another coach into a system. We could do that here but I don't think Mel has enough money for the constant chopping and changing.

Why does it matter when I look at the table? Why should I go off stats? We have been a Championship club for nine years, there's your stat right there. Its fine looking at his win % and saying it's great, but what's it matter? We are still failing to get out the division aren't we?

"Mcclarens a great coach" is pretty much all I'm reading - Can't be that much cop if he still hasn't addressed our lousy defending at set pieces. Can't be that great if none of our players have improved over the last three months...

Why hasn't a club other than us come in for him if he's so great anyway? coaching, assistant, manager? We are the only club who'd have  employed him. That's all there is to know 

3 minutes ago, Papahet said:

"Mcclarens a great coach" is pretty much all I'm reading - Can't be that much cop if he still hasn't addressed our lousy defending at set pieces. Can't be that great if none of our players have improved over the last three months...

Why hasn't a club other than us come in for him if he's oh so great? coaching, assistant, manager? We are the only club who'd have  employed him. That's all there is to know 

Lol. Didn't we break a clean sheet record? Improving players every three months, blimey next year some of them will be superstars.

Why hasn't another club come in, well when they did there was lots of whining. :D

I think the blinkers are glued on your head.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes. But the problem with average players is they don't tend to be consistent. What's to say Rowett wouldn't leave us for a Prem club if he was here and won a few games, like he did to Burton?

Like Mcclaren did with us when Newcastle came sniffing? :lol:

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. Didn't we break a clean sheet record? Improving players every three months, blimey next year some of them will be superstars.

Why hasn't another club come in, well when they did there was lots of whining. :D

I think the blinkers are glued on your head.

Why do I care about a clean sheet record having conceded 3 at Norwich, 3 at Leicester and 7 at home to Bristol and Cardiff?

How arrogant are Derby fans to think anything less than PL is failure?

They point and laugh at Newcastle fans for thinking anything less than Europe is failure

And recently they've been talking about the disgusting treatment of Ranieri who has seen the team drop from top to a relegation battle

Before you say "well Ranieri set the bar that high himself! They were battling relegation before he got there"... just have a think on the similarities.

Kinell, better not tell them that Wigan, Fulham and Birmingham have more right to claim glory. 

The main thing that comes from all this is that the issue of Mac is divisive and encourages the gainsaying of claims and counter claims by those posters who do not think that he will gain us promotion and those who think the sun shines from his nether orifices.  The two will never agree so there's little point in continuing to post on this topic. He's our manager, at least for now. 

Archived