Why can't we defend corners

Russell Ram

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TroyDyer said:

Leicester for the taking. You always know when it comes down to it, we'll concede a poor goal. Sad really. 

If nothing bad happened, some people would never post.

1 hour ago, EastHertsRam said:

Oh well, certainly didn't disgrace ourselves, Ithink we should have been a bit more attack minded during that second half. 

Losing Will obviously didn't help our cause. Don't really want to be a moany old get but I'd be having Butterfield in and telling him he's got between now and May to be part of my plans for next season, needs to pull his finger out for me.

Butterfield had one decent break that I recall but the players breaking with him made the wrong runs  (think it was bent and Russell ) and then one shot near the end. 

In between those bits was largely anonymous,  like a slower even more ineffective tackler than bryso. 

10 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Butterfield was standing two feet behind the goal line even before Morgan won the header. Seriously, is there any football intelligence there?

Just watched this back. Not only is he standing behind the line, he actually ducks under the ball! Unbelievable! 

2 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

We look weak when they box Carson into the 6 yard box. We need to find a way to resolve that problem. Not sure how though!

I think we're sometimes too nice and too honest... pearce & keogh are brilliant at championship level, i also think they can make the step up and are very good at defending when the game is infront if them. They just need to be a bit stronger on corners and a bit more dominant, its their box they should be winning headers and screaming and organising all other players when defending set pieces. 

saying that i thought pearce's yellow card tonight was a fantastic piece of defending. I was always taught outside the box in them situations ball or the man but never both

he was outside the box, he'd been done for pace and the lad would have been through on goal. He took a yellow card for the team and potentially prevented a goal.  I know its not right but sometimes what we need more of to see out games it can be the difference between winning & losing, excellent defending  

20 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

I think we're sometimes too nice and too honest... pearce & keogh are brilliant at championship level, i also think they can make the step up and are very good at defending when the game is infront if them. They just need to be a bit stronger on corners and a bit more dominant, its their box they should be winning headers and screaming and organising all other players when defending set pieces. 

saying that i thought pearce's yellow card tonight was a fantastic piece of defending. I was always taught outside the box in them situations ball or the man but never both

he was outside the box, he'd been done for pace and the lad would have been through on goal. He took a yellow card for the team and potentially prevented a goal.  I know its not right but sometimes what we need more of to see out games it can be the difference between winning & losing, excellent defending  

Yeah I agree with most of that... but shouldn't Carson command his own area?

He saved us a few times tonight I know that... but he's gotta come out and boss his own back yard...Mart Poom used to command the entire 18 yard box... Pooooom was the best goalie Derby's ever had..and I remember Colin Boulton when we won two Championship's and he weren't bad..

4 minutes ago, unclej said:

Carson never comes for the ball. 

Modern goalies don't for fear of getting blocked.

credit to Leicester, at least they didn't try to stand on his toes and block him in as Reading did.

12 hours ago, Spooney1963 said:

That bent own goal was very similar to the Paul Williams own goal at Wembley against Leicester in the playoffs all those years ago

Eh? Williams famously ducked under the ball.( I'd love to hear him explain that one).

Bents was nothing like.

Archived