The black hole at Derby games

Carl Sagan

I've finally worked out what the issue is. For the last few seasons, referees officiating our matches seem to get carried away if we're holding onto a lead and they have a tendency to keep playing until the opposition score. I'd suggest it might even have cost us promotion, these past few campaigns.

Why does this happen to us? Why do referees frequently play 8 or 9 minutes of added time when we're under the cosh? It's the opposite of Fergie time given we've been the biggest club in the division for many of the last few years, so you'd expect us to get the decisions rather than the other way around.

The solution has to be a black hole at our games. Maybe just a small one, but I can't fathom what else would do this. Those of you who know physics, or at least watched Interstellar, will realize that the closer you approach the event horizon of a black hole, the slower time passes. It effects both mechanical and biological clocks and must be the reason referees' watches run slowly at our matches.

The good news is that provided the black hole is quite small, it could evaporate any time now through Hawking radiation. Until that happens referees should be made aware of the phenomenon and told to stop it.

I can post this because we won anyway, but seriously - do other teams ever have to play out so much injury time to get the three points?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

I've finally worked out what the issue is. For the last few seasons, referees officiating our matches seem to get carried away if we're holding onto a lead and they have a tendency to keep playing until the opposition score. I'd suggest it might even have cost us promotion, these past few campaigns.

Why does this happen to us? Why do referees frequently play 8 or 9 minutes of added time when we're under the cosh? It's the opposite of Fergie time given we've been the biggest club in the division for many of the last few years, so you'd expect us to get the decisions rather than the other way around.

The solution has to be a black hole at our games. Maybe just a small one, but I can't fathom what else would do this. Those of you who know physics, or at least watched Interstellar, will realize that the closer you approach the event horizon of a black hole, the slower time passes. It effects both mechanical and biological clocks and must be the reason referees' watches run slowly at our matches.

The good news is that provided the black hole is quite small, it could evaporate any time now through Hawking radiation. Until that happens referees should be made aware of the phenomenon and told to stop it.

I can post this because we won anyway, but seriously - do other teams ever have to play out so much injury time to get the three points?

Yes. There isn't some secret illuminati footballing overlord who specifies that referees MUST issue more added time if Derby are winning. Thread over.

55 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

Yes. There isn't some secret illuminati footballing overlord who specifies that referees MUST issue more added time if Derby are winning. Thread over.

I always love to see people ending their comment with 'Close Thread' or 'Thread Over', it's so splendidly condescending. Can anyone do it or do you have to be a particular kind of bellend?

Parsnip out. (drops mic).

Close thread.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's a nice theory, but maybe you should leave the cosmology to the professionals Mr Sagan.

Clearly some posters are unaware that in fact, our very own Carl Sagan was an astronomer, cosmologist, astrophysicist and astrobiologist of world renown before faking his own death so that he could spend all his time watching Derby County and posting on this forum. As such, a tad more respect is due for our esteemed fellow forum dweller, even when his hypotheses appear to be fantastical nonsense.

13 hours ago, Parsnip said:

I always love to see people ending their comment with 'Close Thread' or 'Thread Over', it's so splendidly condescending. Can anyone do it or do you have to be a particular kind of bellend?

Parsnip out. (drops mic).

Close thread.

It's irritating isn't it? But when people are so sure that their opinion is without question the only valid one you may as well close the thread, the forum and in fact every aspect of being a football fan.  

14 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

There was a black hole between the ears of the fans who thought it was funny to play keep ball in added on time.

Archived