The Wardrobe Watch

unclej

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Since when was where you sit on the chart of scorers the only metric by which we measure a player? He has scored 10 goals and given the amount of games he has played that is a good return.

Spot on. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, David said:

And I'm right in saying it's in the top 10 for goals scored this season. 

No, I see what you're getting at but that's still not correct.

It's the tenth highest unique number of goals scored, technically. That's how you'd have to qualify it. 

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Since when was where you sit on the chart of scorers the only metric by which we measure a player? He has scored 10 goals and given the amount of games he has played that is a good return.

Correct! 10 in 25 starts. Would be closing in on 20 if he'd started every game until now. 

(which most of those players, excluding Gayle, have)

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

No, I see what you're getting at but that's still not correct.

It's the tenth highest unique number of goals scored, technically. That's how you'd have to qualify it. 

But technically we have to wait until the seasons over. 6 games to play, couple goals can change a lot.

On 08/03/2017 at 11:01, toddy said:

Not many players manage to play in every game during a season because of injuries/sub etc - so the standard measure of a players goals has always been total scored at the end of a season.

31 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

In fairness to Chris he's only started 25 games, and been a sub in an extra 4. 

This is more due to the off the field stuff than his form too, based on chatter from Fulham fans.

Once again, we shouldn't let facts which have a bearing on how many goals players score influence our completely biased, myopic view of some of the said players. That just wouldn't do would it?

Just now, David said:

But technically we have to wait until the seasons over. 6 games to play, couple goals can change a lot.

That's fair. 

I'm entirely on the side of those defending Martin. I think @toddy is talking absolute arsewater. Martin's goals/game ratio this season puts him comfortably in the top 10. 

I just like statistics to be done properly :p

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

That's fair. 

I'm entirely on the side of those defending Martin. I think @toddy is talking absolute arsewater. Martin's goals/game ratio this season puts him comfortably in the top 10. 

And the reason Martin has not started most games, eh not because he was injured.....because he was dropped.

How many games has he played in....

I have noticed all the official charts naming the leading goal scorers so far for the season, don't use how many starts a player has made to justify there list of top goal scores -  I wonder why?:thumbsup:

I know this is going to absolutely blow the minds of some people in to tiny pieces but it is actually possible to play up front and contribute more to a team than just goals.

I understand this revelation may take some time to sink in so do whatever you need to do to process that and then consider why a player like Martin might be useful to have around.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

That's fair. 

Minutes on the pitch doesn't matter to Toddy, went there a few pages back.

Doesnt matter if you've had more game time, more opportunity to score, it's all about the number of goals.

Carson has had a shocker this season.

1 minute ago, toddy said:

And the reason Martin has not started most games, eh not because he was injured.....because he was dropped.

How many games has he played in....

He's played in 29. Started 25.

He was dropped because of him falling out with Jokanovic, due to the whole loan thing. Not because of form. Ask any Fulham fan who doesn't just berate Martin for signing a new contract with us. 

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

He's played in 29. Started 25.

He was dropped because of him falling out with Jokanovic, due to the whole loan thing. Not because of form. Ask any Fulham fan who doesn't just berate Martin for signing a new contract with us. 

He was dropped a few weeks back, hence why all the talk of them not having a fit striker to start and still leaving Martin on the bench.

5 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Look at what not having a proper striker did to them at Pride Park. Nobody to stick the ball to and nobody to get on the end of anything up front. A team scores more goals with someone like Martin in there even if he is not the person doing the actual scoring.

4 minutes ago, toddy said:

He was dropped a few weeks back, hence why all the talk of them not having a fit striker to start and still leaving Martin on the bench.

Fine. He's come back with a MoM performance - if Chrissy was perfect he'd be signed and playing in the Prem.

Lets face it, for a striker to be called Christopher Martin ..I mean it's not exactly exciting as a name, he's done well considering that burden ... Now if your striker was called Vibe ... .. I mean, hey man ...  that's cool but what's he done .. just a couple more and with a name like that he should be rocking !.

Now while we wait for the bell, the two sides have gone to their respective corners and are refitting their gum shields ... what bets do we have for this thread to get to 200 pages before the prodigal son returns ? Who is the fatted calf ?

:ph34r: 

4 minutes ago, David said:

Minutes on the pitch doesn't matter to Toddy, went there a few pages back.

Doesnt matter if you've had more game time, more opportunity to score, it's all about the number of goals.

Carson has had a shocker this season.

Carson has got more assists in the last one games than Martin (I think)

9 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Agreed. Rather than solely the number of goals scored, perhaps a far more meaningful stat would be goals scored per minutes on the pitch, with a minimum of 10 goals as the base level.

Some of the anti-Martin comments on this thread are really stupid and I can't be arsed to spend time working out how he fares in a list based on this criteria.

There have been (and still are) players who, in my opinion either we shouldn't have signed or shouldn't have been selected with such regularity and on occasions I have said so. But there is a tiny minority of posters who seem to make it their sole aim in life to constantly harangue certain individuals, day after day after day.

Boring!!!

2 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Carson has got more assists in the last one games than Martin (I think)

Yeh and our idiot managers play him in goal instead of the number 10 role.

Square pegs in round holes again. 

Archived