The Wardrobe Watch

unclej

14 minutes ago, cannable said:

How come whenever somebody is challenged to name a better realistic replacement for Martin they can't? 

Tammy Abraham? Martin probably better for a McClaren team but any other system and I'd doubt we would see the best of him like under Clement. Abraham can do a bit of everything, good with his body back from goal and can run in behind. Dom Solanke would be another suggestion and he was regarded higher than Abraham at Chelsea but he wants stupid wages 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

How come they still haven't learned that running fast is not an essential part of being a striker after years of watching football? 

It's boring talking to them. 

Pace by itself and I'd agree but there examples of players in the championship this season who have pace but can do more than just that like Abraham,Kodjia, Hogan. 

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Pace by itself and I'd agree but there examples of players in the championship this season who have pace but can do more than just that like Abraham,Kodjia, Hogan. 

Are you not just going through Championship top goalscorers list? Where's the hidden gems, the players that won't cost millions to bring in.

Solanke above also linked with Liverpool and even though his contract is up Chelsea will get around £10m in tribunal. 

16 minutes ago, David said:

Are you not just going through Championship top goalscorers list? Where's the hidden gems, the players that won't cost millions to bring in.

Solanke above also linked with Liverpool and even though his contract is up Chelsea will get around £10m in tribunal. 

Pace isn't essential and isn't helpful by itself but pace combined with technique can be lethal at this level. Abraham's suggestion(loan) wasn't in the context of a "hidden gem" because we all know him obviously. 

43 minutes ago, cannable said:

How come whenever somebody is challenged to name a better realistic replacement for Martin they can't? 

It's easier to find faults, it's hard to find solutions!

The big question for me with Martin is why would we go out for hamburgers when we can have steak at home?

In Martin we already own a player valued at c.£9m who fits well with the way we have played when successfully, who's proven to score goals at this level and who will undoubtedly compliment the players we have at the club. He's proven to be one of the most effective strikers in the league if deployed and supported in the right way. It all just feels like change for change's sake.

Work with the very good assets that we have rather than constantly looking for external solutiions. Our failure to simply build on what we've had/got in a coherent and strategic way is probably the biggest reason for the mess we've found ourselves in. We never needed to go out and spend £50m or bring in a load of players to give us a plan b, that's the tragic irony in all of this for me. Ambition + over investment has seen us go backwards from one of the most stable footings we've had in years.

Hopefully GR can get to grips with things and bring a sense of balance to the place. I actually hope he isn't given much money to do it either, it's a fundamentally flawed strategy IMO.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Pace isn't essential and isn't helpful by itself but pace combined with technique can be lethal at this level. Abraham's suggestion(loan) wasn't in the context of a "hidden gem" because we all know him obviously. 

My bad, I'll let you off this time, saw it as a reply to the replacement options for Martin. 

Would imagine Abraham will cost a fair few million after this season, many strikers can earn big money moves after one season hitting the net.

Expect someone will go silly for Chris Wood in the summer and get burnt badly. 

Stats or no stats, playing 4-3-3 with martin up front - i.e. Rowett trying to replicate Mcclaren - won't be happening folks, sorry to inform you. If we want to go forward and start rolling over sides consistently we have to play the kind of football you saw from Nugent Vydra Ince Bryson Russell and co in that second half - high intensity attacking, pressing, incisive with everyone working their nuts off for the cause. But all to a plan that will change based on the opponent and/or our game objective. Finally!

I believe that we have a shot under GR who has gone on record as saying we will vary our tactics, that he won't accept lack of fight, and that teams will get to the point where they will feel like they won a championship just by taking a point off us.  

How can anyone see either Bent or Martin as part of that? Neither player are hard working and productive enough to be in the Rowett mould. 

26 minutes ago, David said:

Having some decent foreign scouting in place would increase chances of finding some of those hidden gems, but we don't for some reason.  Derby's continued reluctance to look far and wide for talent is one of the reasons why we cannot take that final step, promotion, in my opinion.

1 minute ago, ramit said:

Having some decent foreign scouting in place would increase chances of finding some of those hidden gems, but we don't for some reason.  Derby's continued reluctance to look far and wide for talent is one of the reasons why we cannot take that final step, promotion, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong you can save money by shopping abroad, but it's more difficult as players don't always settle well in different countries.

Obviously the Premier League is littered with foreign stars yet our ventures have seen us bring in Camara and Albentosa. 

Would better scouting have foreseen the issues Albentosa had with his insoles?

Rowett has been abroad building his Birmingham side so wouldn't surprise me if we see some imports this summer that leave us researching Wiki pages.

I'll be honest, I really liked the British feel of our 13/14 squad, don't get me wrong this isn't Xenaphobia, Jim Smiths side was the greatest I've seen but there was something unique about that team, the chance of seeing it in the Premier League v the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea dashed by Bobby ******* Zamora!

27 minutes ago, David said:

Don't get me wrong you can save money by shopping abroad, but it's more difficult as players don't always settle well in different countries.

Obviously the Premier League is littered with foreign stars yet our ventures have seen us bring in Camara and Albentosa. 

Rowett has been abroad building his Birmingham side so wouldn't surprise me if we see some imports this summer that leave us researching Wiki pages.

I'll be honest, I really liked the British feel of our 13/14 squad, don't get me wrong this isn't Xenaphobia, Jim Smiths side was the greatest I've seen but there was something unique about that team, the chance of seeing it in the Premier League v the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea dashed by Bobby ******* Zamora!

Me too. JS found Poom Stimac Wanchope Eranio Baiano Asanovic to name a few and you're right - he was always it seemed on the hunt for new inexpensive but impact talent abroad. I met him at the Baseball Ground once during a training session and all I did was mention the country I was working in before he immediately started talking about DCFC scouting there. He was smart.

3 minutes ago, David said:

A good scout can assess whether a player is adaptable.

Albentosa is a good player who was never played in his preferred position and the fans were way too quick to mark him as useless. Would they have been so impatient with a British player?  The insole incident admittedly didn't do him any favors either and is the fault of the player. 

i certainly hope Rowett will change this long established policy of banging the head into a brick wall

In the game against QPR we simply were not good enough.  It's worthless to dominate play in a game and not score, but granted we had a pretty good team then but it could have been even better

Against QPR we were fine. 

Some of our players finishing wasn't. 

Ward blocked Martin's shot or the other way around. Bryson and Dawkins missed good chances. That's besides slipping Russell through 1v1 for O'Neil to chop him down

Sometimes your tactics can be spot on. You can have 10 or 11 lads play brilliantly only for one or two lads to miss chances. 

That's not being good enough. We were good enough. Most of our players were better than most of theirs. But Zamora didn't miss like a couple of ours did.

14 minutes ago, ramit said:

A good scout can assess whether a player is adaptable.

Albentosa is a good player who was never played in his preferred position and the fans were way too quick to mark him as useless. Would they have been so impatient with a British player?  The insole incident admittedly didn't do him any favors either and is the fault of the player. 

i certainly hope Rowett will change this long established policy of banging the head into a brick wall

In the game against QPR we simply were not good enough.  It's worthless to dominate play in a game and not score, but granted we had a pretty good team then but it could have been even better

I don't think Albentosa being Spanish shortened patience, there is little at Derby with any player regardless of his nationality.

Most important thing is to let Rowett choose his scouts that are on his wavelength, no point going to other clubs grabbing them as they found X player before.

As manager this should fall under his remit and be judged on his signings so he has to have full trust in his scouts. If that's his brother, sister or Uncle Bob so be it.

If players are found in Dundee or Denmark doesn't really matter to me as long as they are good enough, if a Scandinavian bargain can be had go for it, just don't do it for the sake of it.

All the talk suggests we'll have a much smaller squad next season so it's important we don't have passengers to make up the numbers.

Interesting times ahead that's for sure, not just what Rowett brings in but fan reactions. I'm not expecting a summer of big name season ticket selling wow signings, always talk of finding the likes of Hourihane before he's at Barnsley, will fans be just as happy as they were when we splashed £30m.

My money is on a lack of ambition topic started before a ball is kicked.

As for talking ***** about Martin... how can you not be bored of saying and hearing the same things from certain people. I just skip their posts now but decent posters are still giving them attention. 

Worthless debating with someone who ignores facts. As soon as someone ignores facts then they aren't worth arguing with. They'll just keep saying the same ****. 

I mean who are among the best Derby strikers recently? Martin, Howard and Hulse. Those three completely go against the stupid arguments put forward. As does the all time top scorers charts for any club, league or country. 

Fat, thin, small, tall, good in the air, poor in the air, lazy, grafter... There's no right way to be a striker. 

But all you'll keep getting is Martin is fat, slow and he makes Ince cry by waving his arms in frustration. He's not scored in 3014 games with the outside of his left foot and his..  Zzzz

11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

As for talking ***** about Martin... how can you not be bored of saying and hearing the same things from certain people. I just skip their posts now but decent posters are still giving them attention. 

Worthless debating with someone who ignores facts. As soon as someone ignores facts then they aren't worth arguing with. They'll just keep saying the same ****. 

I mean who are among the best Derby strikers recently? Martin, Howard and Hulse. Those three completely go against the stupid arguments put forward. As does the all time top scorers charts for any club, league or country. 

Fat, thin, small, tall, good in the air, poor in the air, lazy, grafter... There's no right way to be a striker. 

But all you'll keep getting is Martin is fat, slow and he makes Ince cry by waving his arms in frustration. He's not scored in 3014 games with the outside of his left foot and his..  Zzzz

Sorry boss, I will try to stop.

Ah wait you said decent posters. Forget what I just said :lol:

21 minutes ago, Alpha said:

You mean to tell me fast strikers aren't the best ones we've had? Can't be. Certain predictable posters told me that it was the case. As proven by the fact that Luke Moore was better than Kuqi... oh wait..

55 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Against QPR we were fine. 

Some of our players finishing wasn't. 

Ward blocked Martin's shot or the other way around. Bryson and Dawkins missed good chances. That's besides slipping Russell through 1v1 for O'Neil to chop him down

Sometimes your tactics can be spot on. You can have 10 or 11 lads play brilliantly only for one or two lads to miss chances. 

That's not being good enough. We were good enough. Most of our players were better than most of theirs. But Zamora didn't miss like a couple of ours did.

Martin blocked wards shot otherwise we would be a premier league team.:ph34r:

I'm not Martin's biggest fan but the way he played under McClaren and in the system meant that he never really needed to be quick as he dropped deeper a lot as a false 9/number 10 with Ward and Russell doing the running for him. Where Clement and Pearson went wrong with Martin was that both tried to play him as an out an out 9 number nine which he isn't in my opinion. He likes to get involved with the play and play 1-2s but play him as a straight number 9 then he struggles, which is what you see for Scotland because he gets man marked by the centre backs. Bent and Martin are pretty much the opposite. Martin likes to get involved with the play and drop deeper unlike Bent who likes of play on the shoulder and is more of a fox in the box. I never really understood the comparison that Owen Bradley made regarding Martin and Diego Costa when they're completely different players. Martin's more of an Ibrahimovic type player(obviously no where near as good).

Some think all the issues we had this season will disappear once Martin returns, eh hello ....they will continue unless there are changes else where.

Martin was a good goal scorer / team player in a team that came together well at the time, some of those players have moved on, some still here, but all older and not necessary better, we also don't have the manager that plays only 4-3-3. :thumbsup:

GR has said he will change the system to suit the opponents so for me that has to be a positive, will he bring in players that are capable of playing in different systems? You bet he will. Will he off load those that will not change or incapable of changing? You bet he will.

As for Martin being part of the future playing style, time will tell.

Time for everybody to move on, Mel must have agreed to the changes that GR wants to do and I look forward to a few fresh faces willing to wear the shirt with pride next season. COYR!

Archived