People blaming Mel

TopRam

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Para 1 - So how does that qualify him as a good Chairman? How is DCFC a sustainable enterprise in football of all industries?  He lives and breathes Derby County but can still be a poor chairman. Lots of money, yes but how does that make him a good chairman?

Para 2 - Proves my points above. I applauded the Clement call when he came in. Then Morris panics and gets rid.. I rest my case.

The issue with Morris as I see it, is that he is poorly advised. Or does he listen to good advice?

He has NO credentials of being a chairman, good or bad. I might love Lego and have spent loads on it over the years, I might be Danish as well and REALLY love Lego... I might be rolling in money and be in a position where I can buy my dream... BUT can I run Lego and make it a better business?

The is a lot of blind faith with Morris.. I hate blind faith in anything, that is really dangerous.

Are you suggesting it is time for Mel to Lego?  I think seeing most of what we had has now been demolished we should let him try to put it back together.  Small brick at a time.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely appreciate Mel Morris for investing his time and money into the football club I love. His heart is definitely in the right place and as a businessman he has been very successful. But unfortunately his footballing decisions affecting results on the pitch have been naive and amateur.

I think his footballing decisions have shown why he is more an investor rather than a chairman. Giving a new upcoming manager in Paul Clement an open cheque book to sign whoever he wanted was a poor piece of judgement. The amount of money we spent last year built our media hype and expectations to uncontrollable levels of pressure when personally as a fan I'd rather my club be the underdog rather than the front runner. It's more enjoyable for the fans and for the players they can enjoy their football more when there is less pressure to perform to 8 or 9 out of ten every week. So Mel's generosity has sadly been our downfall. Regardless of if you thought Clement was a good manager or not, whatever manager you have at a club, if you're spending ridiculous amounts of money on players then the public expect quality. It's like me spending £200,000 on a Ferrari, I want that car to be the best but if I smash it I look like a proper arse. And as a football club, that's what we've done. Made arses of ourselves to the footballing community.

The sooner we stop spending money like it's worth nothing the better. Promotion out of this division is about having the best team and not the one's who earn like they are the best. And sadly Mel hasn't realised that. If I had Mel's money then I'd spend as much as a could on quality players. It doesn't take a clever person to spend vast amounts of money. The sooner Mel cuts back on the transfer fees and wages the better. We will improve as a club.

Truth hurts. i have been following this forum for a few years and have seen all the slanging of matches managers ect posted, thats why i havnt joined in before. Mel has done mistakes but is learning,also he seems to allow the forum results of past post to semmi dictate who the fans want as a manager. Pearson like it or not was favorite and a lot did accept it would take a couple of seasons to sort out now. I am proud that a suppoter has brought DCFC and we arnt owned by china america ect that only have a investment interest where we would have been sold or made bankcrupt at the drop of a pin.People wernt moaning when mel spent millions on players last year and look how much that cost has gone up this year in transfers. 20/30 million on a squad only buys prem rejects or has beens and that is why we have very overated players who carnt preform on a regular basis.Fans wouldnt have been impressed if only 5 million for a sqad had been invested and we were fighting relagation each year. Yes Truth Hurts and we are all to blame players manager fan forums ect. You carnt have your cake and eat it, rome wasnt built in a day. Keep the faith and bring in a few of the eager younger players who want to play for the club and not very excessive pay packets. We need rebuilding with go getters from the accadamy to stop us going bankcrupt and to allow the fans to cheer win lose or draw. just my thoughts

There's no doubting Mel is Derby through and through, or that he's backed us with an incredible amount of investment on and off the pitch.

But it gets really scary when I hear fans supporting him blindly/saying he's beyond criticism because of the money he's put in. Of course he has to take a share of the blame, he's running the bloody club. He's making these decisions at the end of the day. 

I've said it before, blindly supporting an owner will leave you in the same mess as Leeds, Forest, Cardiff etc... 

7 minutes ago, lee_derby said:

Truth hurts. i have been following this forum for a few years and have seen all the slanging of matches managers ect posted, thats why i havnt joined in before. Mel has done mistakes but is learning,also he seems to allow the forum results of past post to semmi dictate who the fans want as a manager. Pearson like it or not was favorite and a lot did accept it would take a couple of seasons to sort out now. I am proud that a suppoter has brought DCFC and we arnt owned by china america ect that only have a investment interest where we would have been sold or made bankcrupt at the drop of a pin.People wernt moaning when mel spent millions on players last year and look how much that cost has gone up this year in transfers. 20/30 million on a squad only buys prem rejects or has beens and that is why we have very overated players who carnt preform on a regular basis.Fans wouldnt have been impressed if only 5 million for a sqad had been invested and we were fighting relagation each year. Yes Truth Hurts and we are all to blame players manager fan forums ect. You carnt have your cake and eat it, rome wasnt built in a day. Keep the faith and bring in a few of the eager younger players who want to play for the club and not very excessive pay packets. We need rebuilding with go getters from the accadamy to stop us going bankcrupt and to allow the fans to cheer win lose or draw. just my thoughts

Hello .... shame you couldn't have joined after a better result.

Yes, I was glad when Pearson was appointed too. Hope something turns around soon.

COYR

16 hours ago, mike93rh said:

There's no doubting Mel is Derby through and through, or that he's backed us with an incredible amount of investment on and off the pitch.

But it gets really scary when I hear fans supporting him blindly/saying he's beyond criticism because of the money he's put in. Of course he has to take a share of the blame, he's running the bloody club. He's making these decisions at the end of the day. 

Spot on, I am not anti-Mel but I don't think many can argue that his decision making/people advising him has been nothing short of a disaster as of YET, it may turn around but we only have what he got so far and it isn't good.

Now I can see a plan off the pitch, but not at all on it!

That net spend should get a team promoted and on a decent footing to fight for PL survival not score 0.33 goals per game and be 22nd in the Champ after 9 games!

If a rip up is need then that is £10 million+ of player valuations written off, likely season ticket/match day/ad revenue decline and possible issues with FFP as no way anyone will bid £2 mill for Blackman, £6 mil for Johnson, £4 for Butterfield/Wiemann etc.... be lucky to get rid of the first two on free transfers!

He either gets rid of Pearson before next window or keeps and lets him stick this out unless relegation is looking very likely, I will hate as I can't stand NP but if Mel wants the NP philosophy he can't change it, clubs going up and staying up from the Champ have a clear plan. Also if this happens, Pearson should be bloody thankful that he has a tolerant chairman, SMc or PC (I wasn't a big fan PC anyway but should have got the season) were never given so much time.

Pearson has been given full control over transfers, so I guess that means he can bring his own scouting team in. If he signs a player and he does well he should get praise, if he signs a players and is poor than he and he alone should get the criticism!

If the NP plan fails, well where does Mel go from there, will probably have a record spend for a second tier club in any sport, any country without reaching the top flight and his tenure-ship will be seen as a failure.

Mel is here for a while I think, so we need to hope he, the coaching and playing staff get it right soon!

Let's take a reality check here .. it's still September 16 as far as I know ... 

I'm not happy... 

NP's not happy

Mel's not happy 

Robbie Savage is not happy 

That Portsmouth uber fan with the belly and the bell aint happy 

Ian Holloway aint happy

The Players aint happy

But ... NP deserves more time. 

And that's the essence ... he DESERVES more time ... more time to prove himself... more time impact upon this playing staff.... 

Knee jerk sackings in football have become the teenage **** syndrome ... . once done necessity needs it done again .. and again ... and again ... to no obvious advantage. 

Let's stick with NP until December... 

Then ..... 

Since when does spending money all of a sudden mean you're immune from criticism? Mike Ashley has spent loads up at Newcastle, ask their fans what they think of him...

Morris might be Derby through and through, but his role as Derby chairman thus far has been dire.

The recruitment during his tenure ruined the tight-knit squad and feel-good factor we once had and has set us back years. Our squad now is worse than when he took over.

His 'look at me' signing of Bradley Johnson was a joke... No thought whatsoever went in to this addition, he just did it to make a statement and set a Derby transfer record under his name.

We've become another QPR, Leeds and Forest. Either despised or laughed at from the outside.

I'm not advocating he should walk away tomorrow. But he has a long way to go before redeeming himself. 

I think the single biggest mistake in mels hiring is that he hasn't spotted that increasingly it's management teams that are brought in and that in many cases the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Mourinho always operates with rui faria etc etc.

Bringing in a new manager and then assembling a largely unfamiliar back room team around him must, all other things being equal, increase the chance it doesn't work and increase the time it takes to gel.

On 9/26/2016 at 05:32, Bris Vegas said:

Since when does spending money all of a sudden mean you're immune from criticism? Mike Ashley has spent loads up at Newcastle, ask their fans what they think of him...

Morris might be Derby through and through, but his role as Derby chairman thus far has been dire.

The recruitment during his tenure ruined the tight-knit squad and feel-good factor we once had and has set us back years. Our squad now is worse than when he took over.

His 'look at me' signing of Bradley Johnson was a joke... No thought whatsoever went in to this addition, he just did it to make a statement and set a Derby transfer record under his name.

We've become another QPR, Leeds and Forest. Either despised or laughed at from the outside.

I'm not advocating he should walk away tomorrow. But he has a long way to go before redeeming himself. 

I'm not sure he can redeem himself now*, we have fallen too far in the time since he took over.

Yes, he is Derby through and through but so am I and I wouldn't make a good chairman either.

*If he wants to try I don't want mushrooms or tomatoes but would like extra fried bread.

6 minutes ago, TopRam said:

Wow how my mind has changed In a week! 

funny that. I'm similar. I wronged him for going into the dressing room last season, but aside of that, I could almost justify in my mind, most decisions he's made since. This though..... politically.. wrong.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

funny that. I'm similar. I wronged him for going into the dressing room last season, but aside of that, I could almost justify in my mind, most decisions he's made since. This though..... politically.. wrong.

This week has shown he has no idea how to run a football club 

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Don't want to say to much though as I might get banned from going to the games 

On 26/09/2016 at 05:32, Bris Vegas said:

Excellent post Bris. 2 years ago, yes 2 ducking years ago every neutral wanted us to beat QPR in the play off final because we were seen as the good guys, going about winning in the 'right' way. Now we are QPR, the team who every neutral fan wants to lose as we have wasted so much money . What a shambolic situation we are in. Fans are quick to assume that because the owner spends money, he is a good guy. Not at all that's naive, what happens if he decides to pack his bags tomorrow? We will be left in a situation worse than we were after relegation from the prem. We would be left with a load of overpaid mercenaries who we would have to keep till their contracts ran down as nobody would want them

Archived