Beer Thread

Cisse

On 15/08/2024 at 09:08, Grumpy Git said:

Just a heads-up for anyone planning to go to the Barrow game by rail:

the Lancaster Brewery run the 'Tite & Locke' pub on platform 3 at Lancaster station, (the platform you arrive on when travelling from the south). It serves really good beer (24 on tap) and I can highly recommend it. 🍻

https://www.tite-and-locke.co.uk/

Their range of draught beers is impressive; https://www.lancasterbrewery.co.uk/

Been there on a Lancaster day trip. Excellent bar and renovation very tasteful. Can recommend 🍺👍

On 07/04/2024 at 12:26, Geriatram said:

I am 81 and for 65 of those years I have been a bitter drinker, in the 60s,70s and 80s I was a heavy drinker but as i got older my drinking habits changed, I now drink red wine and whisky with the occasional pint of Abbot. I like to read your posts about Belgian beer but have never tried any, I have been to Belgium a number of times but have drunk the bog standard draught beer as i have else ware in Europe. So I see the Beer Lidl have for sale are Blondes, triple hop, dark double and cuvee des trolls ale. None of that means anything to me. I have decided to try one, which should i try first? and are these beers drunk chilled or room temperature? not a fan of cold lager type beer. Cheers  

I noticed that no one had replied to your post so, in the absence of a real beer expert I’ll just pass on the advice that you should try a few from the local supermarket. Tesco have a few in their larger stores. I’d perhaps try a St Bernardus Abt 12. I find that one particularly easy to drink, though you should treat it with respect as it’s strong. 
Part of the fun is trying them!
Eddie and Co could give you better advice once you’ve found one you like as reference.

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I noticed that no one had replied to your post so, in the absence of a real beer expert I’ll just pass on the advice that you should try a few from the local supermarket. Tesco have a few in their larger stores. I’d perhaps try a St Bernardus Abt 12. I find that one particularly easy to drink, though you should treat it with respect as it’s strong. 
Part of the fun is trying them!
Eddie and Co could give you better advice once you’ve found one you like as reference.

Well done @Anag Ram felt bad he’d not had a reply after a good effort. I’d not been on this thread for quite a while 

On 07/04/2024 at 12:26, Geriatram said:

I am 81 and for 65 of those years I have been a bitter drinker, in the 60s,70s and 80s I was a heavy drinker but as i got older my drinking habits changed, I now drink red wine and whisky with the occasional pint of Abbot. I like to read your posts about Belgian beer but have never tried any, I have been to Belgium a number of times but have drunk the bog standard draught beer as i have else ware in Europe. So I see the Beer Lidl have for sale are Blondes, triple hop, dark double and cuvee des trolls ale. None of that means anything to me. I have decided to try one, which should i try first? and are these beers drunk chilled or room temperature? not a fan of cold lager type beer. Cheers  

I humbly apologise for having missed your post back in April.

Chaddesden Lidl still have a few boxes of the Van Steenberge beers (or they did last Friday) - each box contains 6 beers of various strengths and styles as follows:

• A 'dubbel' which is a sweet, dark 'mild' type of around 7% abv
  • A couple of 'tripels' which are blond beers of around 9%
  • A hoppy beer (almost the equivalent of a 'bitter' but stronger at 9%
  • A couple of 'flagship' beers called 'Gulden Draak' and 'Gulden Draak 9000' which are very strong 'quadrupels', boozy and sweet.

All the main supermarkets stock a few Belgian beers, and like all beers, there are some which are ok, some which are very nice and a couple which are outstanding. Most benefit from an hour or two in the fridge. There are two basic sizes - 75cl and 33cl.

Morrisons stock a 75cl world class beer called 'Tripel Karmeliet' at £5.75 a bottle. They also sell a beer called 'Westmalle Tripel' which costs around £3.50 a bottle - this is a fantastic 9% abv Trappist beer, brewed by monks in the abbey. 'Duvel' is readily available just about everywhere - it's a pale blond beer at 8% and costs around £2.50 (sometimes sold as 4 for the price of 3) - quite hoppy - and there is another version called 'Duvel Triple Hop' which is grapefruity in taste, featuring the American Citra Hop.

Other beers of note - Kwak, which is an 'Ambree' or amber beer, sells for about £3 at Morrisons and Tesco, Delirium Blond (again, about £3 a bottle). La Chouffe, a nice easy-drinking blond beer at around 7.5% sells at all the main supermarkets for around £2.50. Then there's St Bernardus Abt 12 - a very strong dark quadrupel which is sold at Tesco for £3.75.

The most common you will see is Leffe (pronounced Lef) - this comes in both 33cl and 75 cl bottles. The blond is around 6%, and has changed drastically in the last year or two - it's been re-formulated and the alcohol content has been reduced. I think that AB InBev tried to solve a word puzzle as follows: "Change 'beer' to 'piss' in just 4 moves" - and they did it in one. There is a dark version called 'Leffe Brune' - I think this is lovely.

I refuse to write anything about Stella Artois.