Beer Thread

Cisse

My first beer of the day yesterday/today - Piraat, the first of my birthday beers. Utterly magnificent - went down a treat.

The second one is Kwak, an old favourite. Any excuse to get the glass and cradle out of the cupboard. 

My first beer of the day yesterday/today - Piraat, the first of my birthday beers. Utterly magnificent - went down a treat.

The second one is Kwak, an old favourite. Any excuse to get the glass and cradle out of the cupboard. 

One glass of Piraat and you start feeling giddy. Glorious 12%

Happy birthday, Eddie!

The beer sounds great, enjoy!!

Thank you - much appreciated.

I didn't start with the Fantome - instead, I went with an utterly delicious 3 Fonteinen Oude Kriek (another present from a lovely lady)

The only De Molen beer I've had was Amarillo, which was very refreshing but possibly a tad over-hoppy for my taste, I must say. As for the Andechser, you have impeccable taste. It's wonderfully silky, velvety taste of heaven, German style. The Benedictine monks can obviously have just as much fun as the Trappists.

I'm currently quaffing my second glass of Fantome (75 cl bottle). Now if you like barnyardy funky beers (which I do), you would love this. The best thing about saisons, guezes etc is that they leave your mouth so dry, you have to have another beer afterwards - and I'm going to have a St Bernardus Abt 12. Now THAT's a beer.

I can understand that, and of course with the one I had being a double IPA it was hops all the way. Suits me though.

It's not that I have great taste, it's just that when I see a list of beers I can buy I check them against ratebeer / beeradvocate and pick out the ones with the highest ratings! I'm still in discovery / try as many as possible mode.

Upcoming I've got (all bought from beer festival):

Cantillon Geuze 100% Lambic Bio (5%) - £5

Schneide Weisse Mein Grunes (6.2%) - £3.50

Verhaegh Duchesse De Bourgogne (6.2%) - £4

St Bernardus Tripel (8%) - £4

Dupont Moinette Blonde  (8.5%) - £4

Gouden Carolous Christmas (10.5%) - £5

Dubuisson Bush (12%) - £6

Eggenberg Samichlaus (14%) - £7

(Andrechs was £3.50, De Molen £4.50)

That's a fine list - and there is nothing wrong with looking at Ratebeer and Beer Advocate as a guide. My only word of caution is that 90% of the subscribers are American and I think that there is (naturally) a 'home bias' regarding their appreciation of what is best. Last year I think something like 16 out of the top 20 rated beers were American DIPAs or Imperial Stouts - in other words, some were rating the label or the ABV and not the beer. I'm the same though - I love Marston's, Burton Bridge, Derventio, John Thompson, Thornbridge etc, and I am proud of the fact that we have so many fantastic breweries locally.

I allow myself one Samichlaus per year. Two and I'd be pickled until March.

Also, the Cantillon Gueuze is utterly wonderful, but I think that I just prefer Boon's Mariage Parfait. It doesn't rate anything like as high, but it has an almost champagne-like subtlety. If you can get it, try any of the 3 Fonteinen beers. The kriek is outrageously good. I used to love the Framboise too, but I don't think they do it any more. Tragedy.