Throw ins

NottsRam77

I realise we have bigger problems than this and it's a minor detail but in football he small things count.

how bl#%dy shocking are we at throw ins???.

i was taught from an early age, get it done. ie the ball goes out, the nearest person to it gets the ball gets it back in play before the opposition have time to regroup, sometimes you can catch them asleep as players have a tendency to switch off when the 'ball is dead'

No danger of that with our lot, we amble over to it, throw it to each other like a game of catch till the right man poles up to take it, all this while the opposition are regrouping, we then just either throw it striaght back to them or to one of our players who are now swarmed by their players and hand posession straight back to them, there was a phase yesturday of play second half where it was literally like under 5's schoolboy stuff.

to me it shows a lack of urgency and players that are willing to take responsibility.

plus it totally kills any momentum or tempo were trying to build 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree.

I'd even take a first time volleyed punt off a throw-in.

It may not end up with a Derby player but at least it shows variety and intent and can  catch the opposition off guard.

However it's no different to open play. It's a lack of confidence on the ball. The players can't even trust themselves with a return pass

What made me smile was when we got a throw near the end and it was given to Christie to launch into the box. 90 minutes of aerial domination from Newcastle and we try to launch a long throw!

It's quite frankly painful and amateurish. 

As I said I know right now there's bigger problems and there were one or two positives to take from yesterday's game, Anya in the main, this ain't a big moan but I just sit there pulling my hair out everytime and I hate to believe Pearson or any manager would be happy with how cheaply we turn over posession from them. 

I disagree that we have bigger problems than throw ins. They are one a series of small issues that will make the difference. These small issues are called "the basics" that MUST be done correctly before you can do any fancy stuff properly, and without them no formation or tactics will ever work.

1. Pass accurately and consistency- we seem to have lost this attribute so cannot create any flowing moves. Forget the Hollywood passes and focus on the easy ball.

2. The above can't happen unless players move into space. Too often a player has no easy ball available making retaining possession impossible

3. Have simple restart processes for throw ins and free kicks etc.. It seems like none knows what they are doing.

4. Corners, forget any special moves until someone can put the ball in a dangerous position. Just have four players attack the 6 yard box and have someone practicing putting it in the area they are going to be.

Get the basics right, build the foundation and the rest will come. But this requires the players capable and willing to do the hard work that this requires. Willing to not try to be the superstar that puts the 50 yard killer pass in all the time. 

8 minutes ago, davenportram said:

I disagree that we have bigger problems than throw ins. They are one a series of small issues that will make the difference. These small issues are called "the basics" that MUST be done correctly before you can do any fancy stuff properly, and without them no formation or tactics will ever work.

1. Pass accurately and consistency- we seem to have lost this attribute so cannot create any flowing moves. Forget the Hollywood passes and focus on the easy ball.

2. The above can't happen unless players move into space. Too often a player has no easy ball available making retaining possession impossible

3. Have simple restart processes for throw ins and free kicks etc.. It seems like none knows what they are doing.

4. Corners, forget any special moves until someone can put the ball in a dangerous position. Just gave four players attack the 6 yard box and have someone practicing putting it in the area they are going to be.

Get the basics right, build the foundation and the rest will come. But this requires the players capable and willing to do the hard work that this requires. Willing to not try to be the superstar that puts the 50 yard killer pass in all the time. 

I concur full heartedly 

And quite frankly it's a concern.

my biggest concern though is that we really really don't look like Scoring but that stems as u say from not being able to do the basics, which feeling confident or not players at this level should still be able to manage  

Like Angieram and others, I have noticed this also really right from the first game. It's the lack of urgency. It's not there. The willingness to quickly retrieve the ball and get in back into play within seconds. It all contributes to a general apathy and lethargic manner of playing the game when players amble to the touchline at their own leisure and take so long about getting play started again. It's like we're timewasting or something when we have no reason to be doing so. The only time we do it quickly on occasions is when there is 10 minutes to go and we're losing. It's a reactive response rather than a proactive tactic.

The thing that baffles and alarms me is that it's so bleeding obvious to us supporters then why has it not been addressed on the training ground.

it raises so many questions about attitude, application, desire, organisation.

im not moaning for the sake of it it's just a genuine concern as people have said its been from day one and there's been no sign whatsoever of it being addressed.

if we're ignoring a basic like this then when does our coaching staff plan to address the even more worrying fact that it seems most of our 'attacks' (I use that word loosely ?) start from the boot of Jason shackell, for a guy who really can't pass the ball he really does see too much of it

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Like Angieram and others, I have noticed this also really right from the first game. It's the lack of urgency. It's not there. The willingness to quickly retrieve the ball and get in back into play within seconds. It all contributes to a general apathy and lethargic manner of playing the game when players amble to the touchline at their own leisure and take so long about getting play started again. It's like we're timewasting or something when we have no reason to be doing so. The only time we do it quickly on occasions is when there is 10 minutes to go and we're losing. It's a reactive response rather than a proactive tactic.

Meant to say it's the urgency that's not there and not the lack of urgency that isn't there. If you get my drift? :blink:

What drives me mad is when we get a free kick 10-12 yards inside the opponents half and we take it backwards to the central defenders. WTF?

In a team that has scored 1 league goal in 6 games, why are we not seeing this as an opportunity to loft it into the box and see what happens? That's what other teams do to us. Not a new thing - we've been guilty of this since the McClaren days (I guess it was the right tactic when we were scoring for fun and in no need of taking speculative punts, but right now? Jesus - just put it in the mixer!

Agree with all this, it is infuriating and frustrating to see such stupidity.

Anyone counted the proportion of throw-ins we throw back towards our own goal?

You would think a footballer naturally wants to throw or kick or pass the ball towards the net he is paid to put the ball into.

True, William the Conqueror retreated tactically to draw Harold into a trap, and it worked. But somehow I doubt our lot have studied much history. Anyway, it only worked the once for Will's predecessor.

I confess I was somewhat shocked the other day when Camara took a throw-in - as were the rest of the team. It was probably the first time in about three years that a full-back hasn't taken a throw. It showed a player actually thinking for himself, taking the initiative and showing a bit of urgency.

Seriously this is an improtant topic because it sums up the malaise at the club at the moment. The backwards or lack of quick freekicks (ever) is another example. We need our players to be more independent and quicker thinking. We need to keep our opponents off balance and not be so pedestrian and predictable. Yes, I undertand the full-back will normally take a throw-in and there are sound reasons for that, but if the chance arises for someone else to take one and keep us on the front foot and (I know we've forgotten what one of these are but) even in a goal-scoring position, our first thought should be to get on with it.

9 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

I concur full heartedly 

And quite frankly it's a concern.

my biggest concern though is that we really really don't look like Scoring but that stems as u say from not being able to do the basics, which feeling confident or not players at this level should still be able to manage  

Regarding corners, always amuses me when the player (Ince in particular) taking the corner puts his arm up as to signify an agreed play and then just hoofs it in the same as every other corner.

3 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

As was the length of time Carson took to retrieve the ball, place it on the spot and take the goal kick. 11 minutes left last night and he took over half a minute. Semantics probably but we were 1 nil down with 11 minutes left. Wake up a bit please.

This frustrates me! He did it all game against Burton too when we were losing.  Will never change.

14 minutes ago, tings said:

This frustrates me! He did it all game against Burton too when we were losing.  Will never change.

In isolation not a problem really but its just about every time he takes a kick. He takes far too long. Not criticising him, just an observation but its frustrating. Just like throw ins, at a goal down with time running out I'd really appreciate a bit of urgency from some of our players with this.

Archived