Forest and Burton to finish top 10

davenportram

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of that knee jerk sack Clough after losing to Forest Dav :p 

Yesterday and Friday was a real kick in the balls but that doesn't make either club a top 10 side. Forest have signed some utter dross this window and Burton are trying to replicate the old Derby mid table side 4 years on, it has the feeling of the Masters 5 a side football.

Clough is doing what he knows best, some call it jobs for the boys but his signings have been very shrewd, bringing in players he knows well and what the experience they will bring into the dressing room. Part of football is assembling a team of personalities off the pitch as well as ability on the pitch, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them stay up but only just, any higher than 18th is unthinkable, top 10 is go home you're drunk, I bet even Clough himself would agree with that.

21 minutes ago, David said:

Yesterday and Friday was a real kick in the balls but that doesn't make either club a top 10 side. Forest have signed some utter dross this window and Burton are trying to replicate the old Derby mid table side 4 years on, it has the feeling of the Masters 5 a side football.

Clough is doing what he knows best, some call it jobs for the boys but his signings have been very shrewd, bringing in players he knows well and what the experience they will bring into the dressing room. Part of football is assembling a team of personalities off the pitch as well as ability on the pitch, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them stay up but only just, any higher than 18th is unthinkable, top 10 is go home you're drunk, I bet even Clough himself would agree with that.

As on a different thread, I'll take a hundred off anyone willing to wager that Burton won't be in Europe within seven years.

Their meteoric rise is clearly not over.

4 minutes ago, Muskination said:

As on a different thread, I'll take a hundred off anyone willing to wager that Burton won't be in Europe within seven years.

Their meteoric rise is clearly not over.

Bookmark it, if we're still here September 1st 2023 and Burton are in Europe (not pre season friendly) I will hand over £100. No need to pay £100 back if they are not. 

Just now, David said:

Bookmark it, if we're still here September 1st 2023 and Burton are in Europe (not pre season friendly) I will hand over £100. No need to pay £100 back if they are not. 

Bookmarked but fair's fair, a hundred coming your way if not.

It will be no coincidence that the home of the English Football Association's national football centre will excel.

Any more takers?

1 hour ago, Muskination said:

Bookmarked but fair's fair, a hundred coming your way if not.

It will be no coincidence that the home of the English Football Association's national football centre will excel.

Any more takers?

How will they fund their charge into Europe, what they have done so far is brilliant but the gulf in class from the top of the Championship to the bottom of the Premier League is huge and getting bigger by the season. You have clubs that have recently gone up spending £30m+ on a single player yet will still be in a relegation battle this season. Burton don't have the facilities or the fanbase to fund anything like that never mind Europe..

Yes it's possible to do it without, Leicester City have shown but the chances of that ever happening again are so small, the stars really lined up for them last year for so many top clubs to have shocking seasons, basically handing it on a plate to anyone that could put a run together and I know you don't need to win the league but Burton will never ever be able to hang with the likes of Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool etc. even Derby would find it impossible without an Arab billionaire.....unless you are one and planning the purchase in which case £100 means nothing to you! :)  

1 minute ago, David said:

How will they fund their charge into Europe, what they have done so far is brilliant but the gulf in class from the top of the Championship to the bottom of the Premier League is huge and getting bigger by the season. You have clubs that have recently gone up spending £30m+ on a single player yet will still be in a relegation battle this season. Burton don't have the facilities or the fanbase to fund anything like that never mind Europe..

Yes it's possible to do it without, Leicester City have shown but the chances of that ever happening again are so small, the stars really lined up for them last year for so many top clubs to have shocking seasons, basically handing it on a plate to anyone that could put a run together and I know you don't need to win the league but Burton will never ever be able to hang with the likes of Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool etc. even Derby would find it impossible without an Arab billionaire.....unless you are one and planning the purchase in which case £100 means nothing to you! :)  

I'm feeling the groundswell and times change.

And of course a hundred means something to me. I'll use it to valet the Lambo.

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

@David Maybe they will just win the EFL cup and get into the Europa League that way.

Didn't think of that route to Europe but I'm still thinking highly unlikely when you see how easy Liverpool crushed them the other week, at some point in the cup they will come across one of the top 5 and get knocked out

8 minutes ago, GenBr said:

@David Maybe they will just win the EFL cup and get into the Europa League that way.

If they drop back down a division they might win the chequebookatrade trophy, by that time Greg Dyke will have resurrected the Anglo Italian to an Anglo Europa, about the only chance the Brewers will have of Europe.

It's a bit like that war film made A (Burton) Bridge Too Far!

9 hours ago, David said:

I did say it on the podcast pre season.

Archived