Forest and Burton to finish top 10

davenportram

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burton are a small club with a small fanbase and always will be. Not wanting to disrespect them as I've so much admiration for the way they've been run and the way they have gradually year on year built on solid foundations to get where they are. There will always be small clubs who sneak into the Championship such as Yeovil a few years back but that's as far as they go.

Clubs such as Swansea and Hull are different because even though back in the 90's when clubs of this ilk were struggling on gates of circa 4000 in the old division 3, you always knew that the size of the fanbase would increase if ever they started becoming successful because they were in big cities and had a large dormant fanbase.

Burton are now on a level playing field with the likes of Derby but there is a glass ceiling for them as there is no scope for progression whilst they are in a tiny ground with only a few thousand fans. Unless there is a billionaire or someone to make them the Monaco of the English top flight.

2 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

Quote me in 2023, but no way Burton will be playing in Europe by then (more likely be back in L2), Derby I'd give a 5% AT BEST chance of doing so.

You wouldn't believe how confident I was of that McClaren team reaching Europe within a few years. In five or so years time people will look and say that it's a travesty that that team never got to play in the Premier League.

9 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Burton are a small club with a small fanbase and always will be. Not wanting to disrespect them as I've so much admiration for the way they've been run and the way they have gradually year on year built on solid foundations to get where they are. There will always be small clubs who sneak into the Championship such as Yeovil a few years back but that's as far as they go.

Clubs such as Swansea and Hull are different because even though back in the 90's when clubs of this ilk were struggling on gates of circa 4000 in the old division 3, you always knew that the size of the fanbase would increase if ever they started becoming successful because they were in big cities and had a large dormant fanbase.

Burton are now on a level playing field with the likes of Derby but there is a glass ceiling for them as there is no scope for progression whilst they are in a tiny ground with only a few thousand fans. Unless there is a billionaire or someone to make them the Monaco of the English top flight.

I see your point but you're forgetting Blackpool!

Solid foundations and great manager can bring you more success you could ever imagine.

If Burton somehow got up again, be it by scraping into the playoffs or whatever, then I imagine their 6900 odd capacity stadium wouldn't be a problem as the owners would use the guarantee of incoming Prem loot firstly to increase it in size.

They could at least equal Bournemouth's (who are into their second ever season in the top flight now) capacity by expanding and putting room for between 4000 to 5000 extra fans. I also don't think they'd then have a problem attracting 11 and a half thousand fans as a Prem club.

Archived