Shaun Barker

Tombo

Aside from the negatives - and there are a lot of them - how good was it to see Barks out there again?

Couldn't get a ticket for this one so watched it in The Courtyard and there were one or two Rams fans (me included!) that applauded and cheered his return to competitive football as the sub came on the screen.

So happy for him. Believe it or not, for me, it softened the blow of the loss. Forget the result, a good-hearted man just made his return to the game he so loves.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Would have been really good to see if it was not a political move by Clough. Barker deserves better than that in my opinion.

Don't be outraged on his behalf, do you really think Shaun cares?

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Would have been really good to see if it was not a political move by Clough. Barker deserves better than that in my opinion.

Do you remember Clough managing Derby? Putting on an additional centre back is his all time favourite substitution ever. Was it political when Clough brought Russell Anderson on for the last few minutes nearly every game?

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Not outraged.

If it's a genuie attempt to ease him back fair enough.

Just seemed like a cheap dig at previous employers to me though.

No I know what you're getting at. And I think you have a point, but I personally think Barker would have been more than happy to be part of a statement that says to Derby "look, Shaun Barker can still play". Barker would be more than willing to be a part of that barbed statement, and I can't blame him. We released him in the end after all.

9 minutes ago, Anon said:

Do you remember Clough managing Derby? Putting on an additional centre back is his all time favourite substitution ever. Was it political when Clough brought Russell Anderson on for the last few minutes nearly every game?

Yes I do remember him managing us.

I don't remember him bringing on someone who had not played for 4 years.

I may be completely wide of the mark but I think it was a final(ish) parting shot.

Just nice to see Barks back really. Agree with all the positive and negative of him coming on.

Nigel Clough paraded Barks tonight.  Says more about him than us. 

Don't think that was Barker as according to loads of people on here, he would never play again. Everytime there was any news on his progress, you'd always get tossers immediately write his recovery off. Not even in a niceish way either, like "good on him for giving it a go but I don't think he will play again".

16 minutes ago, MrsRam said:

Just nice to see Barks back really. Agree with all the positive and negative of him coming on.

Nigel Clough paraded Barks tonight.  Says more about him than us. 

Also in the post match interview I heard Nigel Clough say complimentary things about Derby County, the Derby manager and Derby players.

What a **** eh?

9 minutes ago, ramesses said:

Also in the post match interview I heard Nigel Clough say complimentary things about Derby County, the Derby manager and Derby players.

What a **** eh?

Yeah, he said some nice thngs pre-match as well. ....not. Did the job. Fair play.

I shouldn't be surprised really but I am..

Poor form to think it was "political".

NC loves Barker and Barker loves NC, in fact MC rates him as probably his best ever signing so if he's going to get a chance to comeback anywhere, it's going to be NC who gives him that chance.

Barks played 90 minutes for the reserves on Tuesday, came through it unscathed and was put on the bench cos Mousinho the other centre half is injured.

NC said about 3 weeks ago that there would be several times this season where Shaun would come on for the last 5 minutes when he needed someone to "head it". He made it quite clear Barkers "qualities" would be needed when teams were throwing the kitchen sink at them

Barks has been part of the squad warming up for every single game this season.

There was 3 minutes to go, Carson was on his way up for a corner and Clough brought Barks on to win the ball.

If you watch him as he's on the touchline, you'll actually see Clough say to him, win the ball, just win the ******* ball.

Not political, not a "message" to Derby County at all and a little bit spiteful to suggest it was..

Archived