man dies after being tasered in Telford - reportedly ex-Villa striker Dalian Atkinson

Mostyn6

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Tasers are dangerous. But their efficiency and rate of success in terms of non-lethally bringing down a threat far outweigh the concern of their potential lethality. 

I heard rumours that he was kicked by the police as well. Whether that is true and whether that was what killed him rather than the taser I hope we find out. Also why this incident ever happened is still a mystery. Has big Ron Atkinson ( no relation) made any comment? 

Very sad, sounds like he was suffering from mental health problems and they've been called to deal with him.

Sad end to a life but police have got to be able to defend themselves.

As for tasers, until someone designs a better alternative and it gets passed for use, police need them.

I'd be very surprised if anything comes of this as the officer will probably be able to justify it.

RIP Dalian.

44 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I heard rumours that he was kicked by the police as well. Whether that is true and whether that was what killed him rather than the taser I hope we find out. Also why this incident ever happened is still a mystery. Has big Ron Atkinson ( no relation) made any comment? 

The kicking was reported as a quote from a witness.

A witness, who lives in a nearby flat and relayed all this information... and incredibly detailed portrayal of what went on, based on hearing it. 

I'm not saying this wasn't a case of police brutality, but the only "witness" we have "heard" the police kicking him and then one backed off while the other continued to kick him and the one with the taser re-activated it 3, 4 or 5 times?

That's a lot of detail to hear. 

Unless it's just been written poorly by the journos relaying it, that's the way its come across. 

If it is a case of "over zealous" policing a la what we've seen in the states in recent times, then jail the officer(s) responsible.

19 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I wonder why CS gas wasn't used, that should've been enough for 2 coppers to then cuff him.

Don't think it works on everyone. CS has far less range than taser, the closer somebody is the higher the risk. It can also make people a lot more violent and lash out. Also they can't taser somebody after CS as they'd go up in flames. 

Up to them to justify using it over or before any thing else.

Tricky one, I'm sure it'll all come out soon.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

How often could you say that in England? I never met a single black guy in England who didn't wear gold, loved gangster music and who didn't enjoy a good scrap. 

Did you type this sentence with a straight face? Fair play if it's satire, but if it's not...oh my god

8 hours ago, Duracell said:

Did you type this sentence with a straight face? Fair play if it's satire, but if it's not...oh my god

What? I never met a white guy that didn't wear skinny jeans, loved indie rock and avoided fights.

10 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

A bit extreme? Are you serious! The bloke is ******* dead! How extreme is CS Gas in comparison to death?

Tasering isn't all that extreme. You have to be quite unlucky, have some health problems in specific places etc. to suffer seriously from it.

Unless of course the police officer did re-activate it 4 or 5 times, which I don't think you're allowed to do, unless someone's like a comic book villain and about to tear you in half through the tasering. 

15 hours ago, sage said:

There are some historical and sociological reasons for this linked to empire and different approaches to the slave trade.  it would take 3000 words to explain it all.  

3000 words on the slave trade, gosh that brings back some memories. I've probably still got a whole essay on that somewhere on my old computer 

17 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Tasering isn't all that extreme. You have to be quite unlucky, have some health problems in specific places etc. to suffer seriously from it.

Unless of course the police officer did re-activate it 4 or 5 times, which I don't think you're allowed to do, unless someone's like a comic book villain and about to tear you in half through the tasering. 

if it's true the voltage is so high, I'd say it's pretty extreme. Considering they don't give you a questionnaire regarding health before firing it at you.

If you punch someone with a brain condition and they die, you still get done for murder, regardless of whether or not you knew.

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

if it's true the voltage is so high, I'd say it's pretty extreme. Considering they don't give you a questionnaire regarding health before firing it at you.

If you punch someone with a brain condition and they die, you still get done for murder, regardless of whether or not you knew.

That doesn't necessarily make the punch an extreme measure.

An unfortunately extreme result, sure. 

On 15 August 2016 at 22:42, Mostyn6 said:

A bit extreme? Are you serious! The bloke is ******* dead! How extreme is CS Gas in comparison to death?

I was just being a bit funny, and pedantic. CS gas is the stuff they fire into crowds, hence a bit extreme for one guy. CS spray is probably what you're thinking of. 

Mind you, cs gas has varying results. I've been in a gas chamber with it, and smiled.  But I am double hard, I'd probably take a tazer and fasten it to my nipples. 

5 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I was just being a bit funny, and pedantic. CS gas is the stuff they fire into crowds, hence a bit extreme for one guy. CS spray is probably what you're thinking of. 

Mind you, cs gas has varying results. I've been in a gas chamber with it, and smiled.  But I am double hard, I'd probably take a tazer and fasten it to my nipples. 

I didn't know the technical term, the stuff they have in a can (Mace) and spray to make you blind and puke!

Poor guy.

I don't want to rush to judgment as it's clearly complex and the scene sounds pretty intense. Realistically, I have no idea if using the taser more than once was something the situation required.

That said, I hope there is a proper investigation. We are not the US, but when people have died either during or after arrest while in policy custody, there's been some pretty whitewashed reports in the aftermath previously that seem to be omitting key facts or just mysteriously finding no blame etc.

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Done CS gas too many times and I for one do not like it.

Archived