Chris Martin - Signed for Fulham

Animal is a Ram

I wonder whether Martin is worth a try in midfield.

His strength is on the ball picking a pass. At present, we can't get the ball to him because he is twenty yards further up the pitch than any other player.

He also has a good shot on him and might get more opportunities from outside the box if he started deeper.

Finally, he might offer Will someone he can pass the ball to and expect it back.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
9 hours ago, Stedcfc said:

There a few shows they could go on... but bargain hunt certainly isn't one of them!

bent and Martin were free transfers.

PistoldPete2
10 hours ago, Ram79 said:

Hope Martin stays and lines up with vydra and kodjia would much rather see the back of bent, Ince and Blackman. 

Well I doubt Kodjia is coming, didnt we sign Vydra having given up on Kodjia? And if he did come would you really keep Wilson, Vydra Kodjia and Martin four central attackers when we often only play one? Then we have Weimann Ince Blackman Bent Camara and Russell. Ten strikers! We could have a subs bench just for the strikers!

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

His strength is on the ball picking a pass. At present, we can't get the ball to him because he is twenty yards further up the pitch than any other player.

He also has a good shot on him and might get more opportunities from outside the box if he started deeper.

Finally, he might offer Will someone he can pass the ball to and expect it back.

Too lazy. I get what you're saying. Mind you he would make a better centre half because I give him his props: he clears a lot of balls out. Anyway he's a goner ... Other managers cut him some slack with his strolling around but NP? Lol, no way. I think after Burton he knows who he can fix and who he wants gone.

Surely Johnson would be easier to make in center midfield dynamo than Martin, interesting idea though and no hysteria about the idea which is nice! I think generally what is frustrating to me about the forum at the moment  is the way people talk in absolutes all the time i.e. 'I will stop coming to the game if we buy him' or 'sell him he is completely rubbish'etc. 

The reality is much more nuanced than that eg if asked about Martin..I'd say he is pretty good in the air, nice first touch, and is an intelligent player with great shot and an eye for goal...but he has no pace and can look pretty disinterested at times... a poor man's Mark Viduka maybe??. Then fans from clubs thinking of buying him have an idea of what he maybe 'is'...I have no crystal ball if he is the answer to their prayers or is now on the wane. Likewise I have never been more confident in a signing than Bradley Johnson...thought he was just what we needed and he couldn't fail...just shows you!! I trust in Pearson and in 6 months we will see if the ins/out have worked, no-one knows beforehand so stop saying you do!!

15 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Surely Johnson would be easier to make in center midfield dynamo than Martin, interesting idea though and no hysteria about the idea which is nice! I think generally what is frustrating to me about the forum at the moment  is the way people talk in absolutes all the time i.e. 'I will stop coming to the game if we buy him' or 'sell him he is completely rubbish'etc. 

The reality is much more nuanced than that eg if asked about Martin..I'd say he is pretty good in the air, nice first touch, and is an intelligent player with great shot and an eye for goal...but he has no pace and can look pretty disinterested at times... a poor man's Mark Viduka maybe??. Then fans from clubs thinking of buying him have an idea of what he maybe 'is'...I have no crystal ball if he is the answer to their prayers or is now on the wane. Likewise I have never been more confident in a signing than Bradley Johnson...thought he was just what we needed and he couldn't fail...just shows you!! I trust in Pearson and in 6 months we will see if the ins/out have worked, no-one knows beforehand so stop saying you do!!

Irony?

Joking aside, I think you're right about people being absolute in opinions. In the ground as well as on here. We have a group of good championship players. Not all of them will be able to make the step up, but none of us truly know who will.

3 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Irony?

Joking aside, I think you're right about people being absolute in opinions. In the ground as well as on here. We have a group of good championship players. Not all of them will be able to make the step up, but none of us truly know who will.

Haha. That's one aspect of his game..no-one (!) is going to buy him for his speed. I'm talking about 'they are waste of money, headless chicken, why are we wasting our money on x, when y is way better in every way'. 

Also cannot for the life of me see how people can moan about Mel ruining the club ffs!!  Heard Alan Sugar asked about his role as chairman  'so the manager comes with a name and you just ask a few questions about what he would bring to the club?'.. 'nooo,  that's the manager's job, I just try and buy the player he tells me to'...on that basis how can Mel be blamed, he's just doing a very good job of getting who the maanger asks for!!

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

At first I thought you were crazy but this might actually work!, we play well when we get the ball into Martin so having him further back might be better - Bryson and Russell running on would work well too! 

Posted this in the Kodjia thread by accident a bit earlier:

Imo Martin is passed his best for us. He quite clearly isn't going to get any better. A fresh start for both parties maybe best. Martin hasn't scored for 14 matches and hasn't scored a goal from open play since October. That's shocking for our main striker and for one of the so called best forwards in the league. If Bent had a similar goalscoring drought, people would be calling for him to be released. Pearson doesn't rate Martin either, which is why we are being linked with a lot of forwards.

Just now, McLovin said:

Posted this in the Kodjia thread by accident a bit earlier:

Imo Martin is passed his best for us. He quite clearly isn't going to get any better. A fresh start for both parties maybe best. Martin hasn't scored for 14 matches and hasn't scored a goal from open play since October. That's shocking for our main striker and for one of the so called best forwards in the league. If Bent had a similar goalscoring drought, people would be calling for him to be released. Pearson doesn't rate Martin either, which is why we are being linked with a lot of forwards.

Lets get rid of Vydra then, has scored hardly any goals for a whole season now. 

2 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

Vydra 9 goals in 36 games in all competitions for a very poor Reading side last season

Martin no goals in open play for almost a year (Oct 15)

No brainer for me!

Chris Martin 15 goals 10 assists last season for a defensive Derby side is a good return. 

6 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Chris Martin 15 goals 10 assists last season for a defensive Derby side is a good return. 

We can both dress up the stats to support our arguments

But the fact remains he's yesterdays man & on his way now

Time to focus on the future & get behind Vydra and whoever else comes in

25 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

lol how is it a fact that he is yesterdays man?

No smoke without fire - Vydra & Wilson in already and another striker likely

He is clearly not Pearsons cup of tea, not starting in preseason or at the start of the season & useless when he does get a start.

Heavily linked with other clubs - he'll be gone by the deadline. 

Think this all adds up to yesterday's man

3 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

No smoke without fire - Vydra & Wilson in already and another striker likely

He is clearly not Pearsons cup of tea, not starting in preseason or at the start of the season & useless when he does get a start.

Heavily linked with other clubs - he'll be gone by the deadline. 

Think this all adds up to yesterday's man

So speculation makes a fact. I like your style, you don't play by the rules.

Archived