The Fittest 11 Start

Carl Sagan

One of the unexpected memes to come out of the opening weekend was that apparently "the fittest 11 start". What do we think of this?

For me, the last time we were one of the fittest teams in the league was probably under wee Billy Davies and despite being largely outplayed by a very weakened Brighton team yesterday, at least we came on strong at the end. Leaving out Martin who has scored nearly 60 goals for us was a major decision, but the most controversial was clearly to put Will Hughes on the bench.

Many on here (certainly me) believe Will to be the most skillful young talent in the division and central to any Rams promotion push. Perhaps Pearson is looking at the bigger season-long picture? Hughes has all the skill but what if he had the engine of Bryson to go with it? Is this a challenge to our future England star to take his game to the next level and become the fittest of our midfielders, as well as the most talented?

I would always choose a team of talented footballers over talented athletes but how often do we see promotion campaigns built upon last minute winners and the belief and never-say-die attitude to always think you can get back in the game or that the 3 points will be yours, and not stopping until the 96 minutes are up? Pearson knows what it takes to get out of the division and to survive in the Prem (and even how to build a team to win the Prem) and after the weekend I'm a little clearer that supreme fitness is a more important piece of the jigsaw than I'd previously thought.

Apparently we have the best training facilities in the division. Now the players are under no illusions they have to make the most of them if they're going to play every week.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is the first piece of the jigsaw in putting together an ethos at the club that will see us get where we want to go ,, I. Am Willing to bet it's not just about fitness but also about mindset , I think we have a manager in place who wants to see every player putting everything they have into being the best player they can be and will ultimately have only those type of players around him long term ,, who knows whether will Hughes has the scope to be far far better than he already is ,, he obviously is the most naturally gifted of our players ,, one thing I do know is that over a few years we have seen this group of players frustratingly throw away or let slip away great opportunities ,, the mindset of all but a few of our players has been lacking and I believe we are watching the beginnings of our talented bottlers tag being put to an end

With respect Cs, I don't think it was simply put as "the fittest" but as those who work the hardest (which includes being fit). I have no doubt that Ince is very fit - he said so himself this past week that he was the fittest he'd ever been - but it didn't seem to stop him strolling around and standing around in the 2nd half ! Will on the other hand may not have appeared to be fittest in training but yesterday he worked his socks off when he came on - chasing players down dispossessing them I like the hard work ethos but if Pearson didn't see how hard Hughes worked and how effective he was, then he needs glasses. 

Pearson also said that whoever steps on to the field must give it their all but must also make an impact on the game. 

Bent scores 3 in 3 preseason games, and people are surprised that Martin doesn't start?

Hughes is still recovering from last season's injury, didn't play all that much preseason. Bryson and Hendrick both played more.

Think the only surprise for me was Johnson ahead of Russell, the latter of which played more in preseason than the former.

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Bent scores 3 in 3 preseason games, and people are surprised that Martin doesn't start?

Hughes is still recovering from last season's injury, didn't play all that much preseason. Bryson and Hendrick both played more.

Think the only surprise for me was Johnson ahead of Russell, the latter of which played more in preseason than the former.

Can your post be more reactionary please?

Perhaps not only the fittest are being picked. Valley suggested a week or so ago that  Hughesy might be being distracted by another club, and who knows perhaps Martin and Russell too. Maybe Pearson is playing hard ball with them.  I think one of those three will be moved on before the end of the month.

And £12m for Hendrick. I haven't kicked a football In earnest for 25 years, but if that is how values are moving l reckon I must be worth close to £1m in the current market.

PistoldPete2

Pearson mentioned we need to work on fitness and that will take time.  If our players are going to become  as fit as jamie Vardy they are going to have to work at it. Has Pearson appointed a new fitness coach?

20 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Many on here (certainly me) believe Will to be the most skillful young talent in the division and central to any Rams promotion push. Perhaps Pearson is looking at the bigger season-long picture? Hughes has all the skill but what if he had the engine of Bryson to go with it? Is this a challenge to our future England star to take his game to the next level and become the fittest of our midfielders, as well as the most talented?

I would always choose a team of talented footballers over talented athletes but how often do we see promotion campaigns built upon last minute winners and the belief and never-say-die attitude to always think you can get back in the game or that the 3 points will be yours, and not stopping until the 96 minutes are up? Pearson knows what it takes to get out of the division and to survive in the Prem (and even how to build a team to win the Prem) and after the weekend I'm a little clearer that supreme fitness is a more important piece of the jigsaw than I'd previously thought.

I'd suggest a well placed pass through a tired defence at the end of a game is more dangerous than a little bit of extra energy...

For me the reason we had chance in the last 10 mins was because we finally had Hughes, Butterfield and Martin on the pitch... 

Running round like headless chickens for 90 mins will not win you promotion. You need a bit of quality in there to direct the traffic a bit. It was no coincidence that we started to get control of the 2nd half once hughes came on. 

This fittest 11 thing though johnson and baird fitter than lowe and russell. I think not. 

22 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

One of the unexpected memes to come out of the opening weekend was that apparently "the fittest 11 start". What do we think of this?

It might have been the message, but it didn't actually happen IMO.  It looked more like players were getting picked on reputation than anything.  Johnson has the reputation of being a big physical bruiser and Will Hughes is reportedly lightweight so Johnson starts, yet in practice Hughes is fitter, works harder and wins more tackles than Johnson and that's before you start considering the disparity in technical ability.  And if fitness was the key thing, why did Blackman start having been ill all week?  Why did Baird start over Lowe?  Why was Bryson dropping into the back 4 instead of actually using his fitness to press higher up the field?

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

It might have been the message, but it didn't actually happen IMO.  It looked more like players were getting picked on reputation than anything.  Johnson has the reputation of being a big physical bruiser and Will Hughes is reportedly lightweight so Johnson starts, yet in practice Hughes is fitter, works harder and wins more tackles than Johnson and that's before you start considering the disparity in technical ability.  And if fitness was the key thing, why did Blackman start having been ill all week?  Why did Baird start over Lowe?  Why was Bryson dropping into the back 4 instead of actually using his fitness to press higher up the field?

Largely my thoughts. I thought it astonishing that Blackman played after his illness was revealed, given the supposed emphasis on fitness. As has been said, Hughes was far more effective in winning the ball in 30 minutes than anyone else over 90.

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

Largely my thoughts. I thought it astonishing that Blackman played after his illness was revealed, given the supposed emphasis on fitness. As has been said, Hughes was far more effective in winning the ball in 30 minutes than anyone else over 90.

Not just anyone else, but everyone else (in midfield anyway). He won more tackles in 30 minutes than Bryson, Hendrick, Johnson and Blackman managed in over 300 minutes.

Archived