Live Game Thread 16/17

SaintRam

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, rynny said:

Anyone thinking of watching WBA and Burnley tonight? 

Might give it a miss...

Did not expect this from you @rynny!

Was an alright game for the neutral to watch.

Give me a game like that over these fabled 'Super Sunday' 'Magic Monday' 'Wonderful Wednesday' or 'Fantastic Friday' games that Sky try to hype up which always end up cagey games which are always 0-0 at half time and end up being won by the odd goal.

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Give me a game like that over these fabled 'Super Sunday' 'Magic Monday' 'Wonderful Wednesday' or 'Fantastic Friday' games that Sky try to hype up which always end up cagey games which are always 0-0 at half time and end up being won by the odd goal.

Was purely tongue in cheek. And more of a dig at the person that came up with the stats. (And secretly hoping @Alpha saw some of them as I knew he would like the one he commented on)

I admit I don't watch many other matches anymore. I used to watch vitually every game but I just cannot be bothered watching other teams.

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

"Games out ran opponents"

Jesus fooking Christ

Is it really a problem? Maybe it's not necessary to show to the viewer but a lot of managers rely religiously on stats like that as having higher running stats show that you suffocate an opponent. Juergen klopp ,Pochetino and Antonio conte absolutely love it when they have outrun their opponents because it shows their methods in training are working.

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

"Red Monday became dead Monday " when Liverpool played Man Utd is an example

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Is it really a problem? Maybe it's not necessary to show to the viewer but a lot of managers rely religiously on stats like that as having higher running stats show that you suffocate an opponent. Juergen klopp ,Pochetino and Antonio conte absolutely love it when they have outrun their opponents because it shows their methods in training are working.

Yeah, it's a problem because it's completely pointless. 

I've never spoke to those 3 managers so i'll have to take your word for it. I find it amusing that Burnley are 1st and WBA are 2nd which goes to show that how far you run is completely irrelevant. Dogs run, horses run, Usain Bolt runs. 

I'm fed up of hearing how hard Jordan Henderson worked. It doesn't mean he's good, played well or closed the ball down with any success at all. As proven by WBA and Burnley. 

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah, it's a problem because it's completely pointless. 

I've never spoke to those 3 managers so i'll have to take your word for it. I find it amusing that Burnley are 1st and WBA are 2nd which goes to show that how far you run is completely irrelevant. Dogs run, horses run, Usain Bolt runs. 

I'm fed up of hearing how hard Jordan Henderson worked. It doesn't mean he's good, played well or closed the ball down with any success at all. As proven by WBA and Burnley. 

I sort of agree with you. I think in the context of Burnley and West Brom they have had to run more because they don't have much possession. I think the running stats are more impressive when a top team with more possession  has had to run more because it emphasises their closing down. Klopp plays Firmino up front instead of sturridge becomes he runs more and closes down-essentially being the first line of defence which is so important in the modern game and relieves the pressure off the midfield and the defence. I think Henderson is a donkey but he has improved immensely under klopp this season as has Lallana. I don't agree with running around for the sake of it as it wastes pointless energy but if the running is used correctly then it can be a lethal threat-see chile v Spain in the World Cup to illustrate this as defenders never get a moment's peace

If you have at least 5 outfield players running in sync, it can harm any team in the world. Carlo Ancelotti spoke about how intense Atletico Madrid when Bayern lost to them earlier this season and how much running they covered with their high energy pressing game. Meanwhile, Klopp said that pressing as a group is more dangerous than any number 10 in the world. Although I wouldn't go far, I can see what he was trying to suggest

Bring back the good old days where the only stat they show is the score in the corner of the screen.

If you need a pundit to tell you who had most shots, who has been passing the ball and who has been running around like a headless chicken, then you've not been paying enough attention to the game!

44 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Anyone watching the Arsenal game?

How is the commentator calling it a definite penalty?

Followed by "it was the slightest of touches but enough to take him down"

Embarrassing reaction by Ramsey too holding his face after being hit on the chest.

No, I'm watching Nottingham Forest of the North :lol: trying to throw qualification away against Monchengladbach.

Archived