Sedate Pre Season

ramsbottom

Don't want to tempt fate at all but so far, bar the (for some cataclysmic) defeat to Benfica, pre-season has been a relatively easy going affair, especially on the forum and sausageter.  Touch wood, there's been no massed panic about transfers, no season limiting injuries, and no real worry about how we're going to play.  So I was wondering if this is down to having a very experienced manager in place this season, a collective confidence that Sam & Mel have learnt from their scatter-gun approach from this time last year, or a little apathy due to how last season ended and little expectation going forward???

Thoughts...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using experience gained from the last few season, a good manager and coaching staff who all know each other and the players, staying calm and not rushing into transfer business again, assessing the squad properly and learning from mistakes (probably)

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

My thoughts...

1 - It was Benfica not Porto 

2 - You must be choosing which threads to read very wisely!

1 - Edited

2 - I read through 90% of the Portugal thread and despite some OTT reactions most people appeared reflective on the result.  Other than that I haven't really come across a lot of vitriol or mass panic...

4 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

1 - Edited

2 - I read through 90% of the Portugal thread and despite some OTT reactions most people appeared reflective on the result.  Other than that I haven't really come across a lot of vitriol or mass panic...

Have a wander into the Transfer Talk part of the forum to see who we need to sell and who we have missed out on in signing!

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Have a wander into the Transfer Talk part of the forum to see who we need to sell and who we have missed out on in signing!

Still didn't get me as riled up as previous seasons, mainly because a lot of the suggestions were laughable :D

I  like this rather dull seeming preseason. Cold shower against Benfica .. Wake em up. Then a proper run out against some plucky also rans so we can assess ability without too much stress. So far so good as far as I can see.

We have a good squad .. Where we have finished in the last 3 seasons tells us that. Now it's tweaking, polishing gelling, assessing. Yes we'd all love some jaw dropping signings because it's exciting and lifts expectations and gives us some ooo aaaahhh things to talk about but I'd much rather have us playing together consistently with what we have and then adding a little star dust when the manager knows what he needs to finish the puzzle. I don't want us buying 2 or 3 over priced average players just for the sake of it. 

But....  I really can't wait for my first walk up the river bank for the season opener. ! COYR 

At present Pearson hasn't done anything, but does have a good reputation as a manager. At this point there's nothing to criticise him for and it's sensible to assume that he knows what he's doing with transfers - and not many would argue with selling Shotton and Albentosa anyway.

The calm will soon be shattered when either we sign a player that's not called Messi, we sell a player who people rate or we lose a match early on.

I wonder how people would react if we turned down £15m for Hendrick, but then sold Hughes for £10m? It's getting those sort of calls right that's the difference between a good and bad manager. Pearson will do something that looks odd to us fans before too long, but if doing the obvious thing was always right, any of us could be a successful football manager.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

I wonder how people would react if we turned down £15m for Hendrick, but then sold Hughes for £10m? It's getting those sort of calls right that's the difference between a good and bad manager.

Imagine the threads ? though I don't think the manager has a say on how much the players are sold for

It's been sedate because there's been nothing so far to get excited about, which is no bad thing. Nothing in, nothing out. No talking points or controversy. 100 plus pages on here on a player who hasn't left and shows no sign of doing so tells its own story.

The Euros have meant that the drawn out summer, which by now would have everyone in a frenzy, hasn't happened, and there's probably an element of wariness and weariness among the Derby support after three years of going close but falling short. 

Brighton at home is an excellent first fixture, fully expect things to explode into life then.

Archived