Matador dies in bull fight

Sith Happens

Sith Happens

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36756723

A matador has died after being gored by a bull in Spain - the first bullfighter to die in the ring in Spain this century.

Victor Barrio, 29, a professional bullfighter, was killed when the bull's horn pierced his chest.

The fight, in the eastern town of Teruel, was being broadcast live on TV.

Also on Saturday, a 28-year-old man died after being gored by a bull during a bull run through the village of Pedreguer, near Valencia.

The last matador to die in a bullfight in Spain was Jose Cubero, or Yiyo, in 1985.

Television footage shows the bull throwing Barrio into the air before goring him on the right-hand side of his chest and violently throwing him.

Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy paid his condolences to Barrio on his Twitter feed.

A comment on the official feed of the Las Ventas bull ring in Madrid, where Barrio began as an apprentice, said it was "distressed and very moved" by his death.

El Pais newspaper said that in the past century, 134 people, including 33 matadors, had been killed by bulls in Spain.

Last year, leading matador Francisco Rivera Ordonez was badly hurt while taking part in a bullfight in the north-eastern town of Huesca.

About 2,000 bullfights are still held every year in Spain, but the numbers are falling. In 2010, Catalonia became the second Spanish region after the Canary Islands to ban the tradition.

Opponents describe the blood-soaked pageants as barbaric, while fans - including Mr Rajoy - say the tradition is an ancient art form deeply rooted in national history.

In the other incident on Saturday, a man was killed while running alongside bulls in Pedreguer. Spanish media said he was trying to help another runner when he was gored in the throat and abdomen.

Meanwhile, in the San Fermin bull running festival in Pamplona on Saturday, a 33-year-old Japanese man was gored in the chest and a Spanish man in the arm. Another 12 people were injured, the regional government in Pamplona said.

Its about time these sort of things were banned.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
31 minutes ago, eddie said:

Bulls 1 Matadors 2000

Yeah - you have to cheer for the underdog though dont you.

Sith Happens
16 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Don't really have a problem with bull fighting.

Not much more nasty than living your entire life in a small field only to get a bolt through your head after a few years, but people still eat steak.

I eat steak, the animal to the best of my knowledge is killed humainly, the bull is slowly murdered for sport and no other reason. I would imagine this to be a very frightening, painful and slow death.

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I eat steak, the animal to the best of my knowledge is killed humainly, the bull is slowly murdered for sport and no other reason. I would imagine this to be a very frightening, painful and slow death.

I understand it is painful and barbaric towards the animal but the end result is the same, and it's not good news for the cattle either way.

It's a tough question, and I can see the merits to both sides of the arguement, but I think if you eat meat, there is a limit to how deeply you can actually care about animal welfare.

38 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I understand it is painful and barbaric towards the animal but the end result is the same, and it's not good news for the cattle either way.

It's a tough question, and I can see the merits to both sides of the arguement, but I think if you eat meat, there is a limit to how deeply you can actually care about animal welfare.

Don't really get that mentality if I'm honest.

Everything ends up the same way, everything dies. Doesn't mean I don't have a problem with things being literally tortured for sport.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

I, as a meat eater, can see merits in both sides to the argument of if we should kill animals for food.

To kill any animal for fun in such a barbaric way I am unaware what the argument is to say it should happen, I don't think to say well they end up dead in the end is sufficient reason.

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

Never been to a bull fight but I've heard the ones in Mexico are more gory. 

I suppose it's a tradition in their country which they are proud of. I do think it's a bit unfair for the bull though.

It's a fight to the death between bull and man. What's not to like? Except if the bull wins, he gets killed anyway. Surely this bull should be like a gladiator of old, released into his own field of heffers. But instead he'll be killed anyway. So, no, it's not very fair at all. 

15 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

It's a fight to the death between bull and man. What's not to like? Except if the bull wins, he gets killed anyway. Surely this bull should be like a gladiator of old, released into his own field of heffers. But instead he'll be killed anyway. So, no, it's not very fair at all. 

It's never an equal fight to the death. The Bull is weakened by being stabbed several times in the back and being run around the ring for a while before the matador even enters the ring. It is barbaric, those who point to tradition should note that not all traditions are worthy of preservation.

A man went to a restaurant outside the bull ring and asked for the huevos. It was a succulent dish, quite unlike anything he had tasted. The next day he returned, and ordered the huevos again. When they arrived, the dish was disappointingly small. On complaining to the waiter, he was told "Senor, sometimes the bull wins".

7 hours ago, Ewetube said:

It's never an equal fight to the death. The Bull is weakened by being stabbed several times in the back and being run around the ring for a while before the matador even enters the ring. It is barbaric, those who point to tradition should note that not all traditions are worthy of preservation.

That too. If it was a straight up fight, Mano  y Torro, bare fists, then maybe. Like crocodile wrestling. But there's nothing fair about this at all. It's about as fair as as laughter house. Kudos to the bull for winning this one. As unfair and horrible as the whole thing is though, I can't get past the thought that the poor bugger will get killed anyway. To win against a stacked deck, and then get killed anyway. It's like the final scene of gladiator. 

there are, unfortunately, many examples of stupid traditions that are kept alive for the sake of tradition. Traditions that were born from a more ignorant time. All they really do is serve to show how stupid we were in the old days, and how stupid we are these days, for celebrating that stupidity. I could get really controversial here and say religion is the prime example.

The bullfighter died? 

Tough ****. 

You traumatise that bull, you deal with the consequences. 

I have zero sympathy.

Archived