Derby Under 21s eligible for Football League Trophy

Rample

The Telegraph has confirmed that we are able to enter an Under 21 side in the former Johnstone's Paint Trophy should we wish.

I think it's a great for us, seeing the likes of Mitchell, Rawson, Zanzala and Lowe test their mettle against league sides for at least a few games, if not really for the lower league sides themselves.  Might make quite an impact in seeing players given more of a chance for the first team if they can impress in this competition,

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick look at Under 21s on the periphery.

Mitchell, 21, Rawson 19, Lowe, 19, Hanson, 20, Guy, 19, Elsnik, 18, Santos 21, Bennett, 19, Zanzala 19.  Omitted Hughes obviously, but bang the assumed 3 over-age players in, maybe as a spine, something like Buxton, Bryson, Bent and would be interesting to see what they could do.

Assume a group of something like us, Leicester U21s, Chesterfield and Notts County.

It might be good for the academy's but a insult to ,the lower league clubs,if it is for academy's to enter..these are training facility's for clubs,to save money on transfer fees,and produce players for the future.

Loans are the way to give players league experience

.Why introduce a 5th division to reduce the amount if games played,if we introduce a meaningless cup competition

for league clubs, to enter,I do hope they will have a choice.to play with the boys or not

4 minutes ago, trevor1946 said:

It might be good for the academy's but a insult to ,the lower league clubs,if it is for academy's to enter..these are training facility's for clubs,to save money on transfer fees,and produce players for the future.

.Why introduce a 5th division to reduce the amount if games played,if we introduce a meaningless cup competition

for league clubs, to enter,I do hope they will have a choice.to play with the boys or not

You mean the one that has been running for 33 years?

With loans, next season will have no emergency loan window, so any loans will have to be in place by the start of September.

1 hour ago, trevor1946 said:

Agree with some of this. If I recall one idea of a 5th division was to allow U21 teams (or reserve teams) from Premier League clubs to play, so this would be a small move in that direction.

As has been said, there are apparently no more emergenncy loans so the landscape is changing. That means clubs will need to hold bigger squads so there could be less opportunity for youth to come through. For instance, we'll probably have enough non-playing sennior pros to field a starting 11 in the League Cup. So this would indeed be good for our academy and I hope we enter, but I can see why some of the clubs voted against.

Interesting times...

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Agree with some of this. If I recall one idea of a 5th division was to allow U21 teams (or reserve teams) from Premier League clubs to play, so this would be a small move in that direction.

As has been said, there are apparently no more emergenncy loans so the landscape is changing. That means clubs will need to hold bigger squads so there could be less opportunity for youth to come through. For instance, we'll probably have enough non-playing sennior pros to field a starting 11 in the League Cup. So this would indeed be good for our academy and I hope we enter, but I can see why some of the clubs voted against.

Interesting times...

Isn't Trev referring to the recent idea of having 5 divisions and reducing the leagues to 20 each and adding the 6 to top up from the conference?

38 minutes ago, rynny said:

Isn't Trev referring to the recent idea of having 5 divisions and reducing the leagues to 20 each and adding the 6 to top up from the conference?

Yeah - the proposal for five divisions would require extra teams and it was mooted that these could be Premier League B teams, hence my comment. But looking back at some of the announcements they say they've ruled that plan out.

Sounds nice on paper for our lads to get a higher level game.

Disgracful idea in practice. They're trying to get B teams in by the back door.

We should decline to take part.

7 hours ago, Rample said:

The Telegraph has confirmed that we are able to enter an Under 21 side in the former Johnstone's Paint Trophy should we wish.

I do not think that we should Gloss over the importance of this JP Trophy, it does Matt er. At least three games against U21s and League teams that we could Brush up U18s against. No downstroke really.

News Flash - U21s will not now be playing Borussia Emulsiongladbach or Bristle City as we will have enough on our Pallette already.. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Rampage said:

I do not think that we should Gloss over the importance of this JP Trophy, it does Matt er. At least three games against U21s and League teams that we could Brush up U18s against. No downstroke really.

News Flash - U21s will not now be playing Borussia Emulsiongladbach or Bristle City as we will have enough on our Pallette already.. :thumbsup:

Laying it on a bit thick. Seeing as you've used at least two coats already, I hope you have a third you can get.

21 hours ago, needles said:

Sounds nice on paper for our lads to get a higher level game.

Disgracful idea in practice. They're trying to get B teams in by the back door.

We should decline to take part.

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Could not agree more. 

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Agree - the implications are far more than just giving our youngsters a higher level competition

I hope that we take a stand and do not enter a team on principle

While you have a point, I think it's wrong to disadvantage our club and academy by not playing. Imagine if the Wembley final is, say, Man U U21s vs Sheffield Utd and we were well ahead of Man U U21s in the league but had refused the chance to take part? Hugely disappointing for all concerned and could possibly even lead to promising youngsters signing for team who did decide to enter the tournament.

If these are the agreed rules, voted for by the clubs, then we use them to our advantage and enter a team.

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

While you have a point, I think it's wrong to disadvantage our club and academy by not playing. Imagine if the Wembley final is, say, Man U U21s vs Sheffield Utd and we were well ahead of Man U U21s in the league but had refused the chance to take part? Hugely disappointing for all concerned and could possibly even lead to promising youngsters signing for team who did decide to enter the tournament.

If these are the agreed rules, voted for by the clubs, then we use them to our advantage and enter a team.

I can't disagree from a DCFC point of view, but from a football point of view, integrity, honesty and fair play would demand tat we and all other clubs don't enter. We will. So will everyone else. Money.

19 hours ago, Rampage said:

Thanks for cutting in and making quite a splash, Carl but no more cutting cornice on this thread please.I expect an extremely high quality finish from you, as you know. (not my best work)

Hardly original. I'm sure you nicked that of Anna Glypta.

Archived