Jonathan Kodjia - Signed for Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

I'm not sure where this "Blackman is a good player" and "Blackman is technically good" is coming from? The proof is in the pudding and so far I haven't seen anything to back the comments up. I also work with a lot of Sheff U fans who laughed their socks off when we paid £3m for him, they couldn't believe it and was gutted when he came to us and not Wednesday. The bloke had a half decent season, that's it! 

I'll support him 100% as he's a Rams player and really hope he comes good, but come on folks technically good, do me a favour.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I'm sorry but I don't buy this at all. It's easier to man mark players on the wing because they can be easily double teamed on. Put a few men on any player in the world and they'd struggle. Heck the first thing at Guardiola did at Barcelona was to put Messi as a false 9 as he'd get more space roaming rather than on the wing where he was easier to mark. Every player would perform better if they had time and space. Not fair at all to judge Blackman, likewise with Albentosa because they were coming into struggling teams where the confidence was completely shot. You say that Blackman looked like a pub player but which player apart from Hughes actually played well consistently at the end of the season? If he doesn't play well in the first few months of the season then fair enough,he may not be what he require but until then we shouldn't write anyone off in the new team. No-ones guaranteed a starting place under Pearson and the players know that. I got the feeling that at the end of last season certain players were played due to reputation and not due to form but Pearson won't take this. 

Of course space makes it easier. That's the point. Are we talking about playing Blackman off the striker to give him space because he's a match winner and we want to optimise his effectiveness, or because he's just not cutting it anywhere else and we want to give him a chance to get involved a bit? Evidence so far says he's anything but a match winner. He's had no discernible positive impact on any game I can remember.

Albentosa and Blackman both arrived into top 6 (2?) sides in January. Not struggling sides with confidence shot. You'd think they'd be inspired, raring to go and desperate to make a good impression. I know they're not robots, but getting paid 5 figures a week and all the back-up you could imagine, they should be able to look competent at least?

The majority of the Rams team under Wassall in the run in looked like professional footballers labouring rather than flowing. Blackman looked like someone had signed up a plasterer from the City League.

I'm not writing him off, I'm certain there's more to come, but I'm not holding my breath because he's shown nothing.

20 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Decent as cant hit a paper tail or a barn door blackmen

Slightly ironic how you call for supporters to support the players, yet you've singled out Blackman and Baird on more than one occasion. Do these two not deserve the support that you ask for? Just an observation.

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

It's coming from you have an opinion and he has an opinion and they are different...

Yeah fully understand that, however mines right :thumbsup:

I had an invite in January to an evening with Sam Rush and Paul Clement, Blackman was bought up, we paid 250k rising up to 3m all based on things like promotion etc over 3years, all this we paid 3million isn't true.Give the lad a break let him show what he can do

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Well how come it said in the paper

We paid upto 2m and rising upto 3m and he has done next to nrothing.

He's barely had chance to do anything. He's started 5 games in the league for us and during those 5 games played 3 different positions. Of all the people on this forum b4, I'd have thought you would be the most likely to support Blackman and want him to have a chance to show what he can do. You can't plead with the fans to support the players and the team but then demand we sell Blackman after 5 starts and a handful of substitute appearances.

3 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

He's barely had chance to do anything. He's started 5 games in the league for us and during those 5 games played 3 different positions. Of all the people on this forum b4, I'd have thought you would be the most likely to support Blackman and want him to have a chance to show what he can do. You can't plead with the fans to support the players and the team but then demand we sell Blackman after 5 starts and a handful of substitute appearances.

B4 can, emotional, personal fan with no logic to his questioning

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Next to nothing in 5 games. New season, fresh start. If he's still poo by Christmas then maybe your right. Until then, would it be unreasonable to ask you to support a player that wears the badge of the team you love. As really that's about the only job we have as fans.

im not saying don't criticise a play who deserves it but blackmans not even had a chance yet has he?

10 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

He scored 11 or 12 for a relatively poor Reading side in less than half a season.  Irrespective of your views on him, he has ability and if that is nurtured by our new, proven manager in this league he could prove a real asset given a proper chance.  

51 minutes ago, robglosta said:

He scored 11 or 12 for a relatively poor Reading side in less than half a season.  Irrespective of your views on him, he has ability and if that is nurtured by our new, proven manager in this league he could prove a real asset given a proper chance.  

Has he done anything else in his career bar that 3 months? Danny graham had a similar spell i recall once in his career.

There's clearly a player in there somewhere, you can't deny that. He was massively lacking confidence last season and it showed. 

I'm fully confident that a run of games under Pearson in the right position will bring out the best of Blackman. 

I'm sorry but I haven't rated the guy throughout his whole career, just because Derby signed him doesn't mean my opinion of him will change. Fact is we paid £3m for somebody who had nearly doubled his career goal tally in 3 months (not a positive) and had 6 months left on his contract, reading fans said they had our pants down and they really did. Might of only had a handful of games for us but that speaks for itself. Contributed next to nothing in those games and looked like he could trap a bag of cement.

5 hours ago, seths-cap said:

Until then, would it be unreasonable to ask you to support a player that wears the badge of the team you love. As really that's about the only job we have as fans.

And that's why I regard myself as a Derby supporter, not a Derby fan. 

6 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I'm sorry but I haven't rated the guy throughout his whole career, just because Derby signed him doesn't mean my opinion of him will change. Fact is we paid £3m for somebody who had nearly doubled his career goal tally in 3 months (not a positive) and had 6 months left on his contract, reading fans said they had our pants down and they really did. Might of only had a handful of games for us but that speaks for itself. Contributed next to nothing in those games and looked like he could trap a bag of cement.

You can criticise him as much as you want, but his first touch is class. 

Archived