Ghostbusters remake

ramsbottom

9 hours ago, cosmic said:

You boring old buggers. Let it go.

CjAFHVcXAAA4y6-?format=jpg&name=large

Oh yes, I'm sure a Sony studio exec woke up one morning and declared over his low sodium muffin & egg white omlette that he must inspire a new generation of kids by giving them well rounded, empowered female characters.  Power to the people!!!  It has naff all to do with creating new heroes for kids, it's about fleecing there Mum & Dad's wallets by serving up uninspired, re-heated properties that have brand recognition.  By all means remake stuff that has a strong central premise that, for one reason or another didn't work as it should or a foreign property (The Thing, Scarface, Ocean's 11, The Departed) but there's movies out there that are perfect and should be left well alone...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Oh yes, I'm sure a Sony studio exec woke up one morning and declared over his low sodium muffin & egg white omlette that he must inspire a new generation of kids by giving them well rounded, empowered female characters.  Power to the people!!!  It has naff all to do with creating new heroes for kids, it's about fleecing there Mum & Dad's wallets by serving up uninspired, re-heated properties that have brand recognition.  By all means remake stuff that has a strong central premise that, for one reason or another didn't work as it should or a foreign property (The Thing, Scarface, Ocean's 11, The Departed) but there's movies out there that are perfect and should be left well alone...

I heard somewhere that the first trailer was the most disliked film trailer on YouTube ever.

Whether it would have been good or not I'm sure a proper Ghostbusters 3 that tied to the original and was keeping in the spirit of the original would have made more money. 

Ghostbusters 3 had long been talked about, and became very unlikely when Harold Ramis died. Confuses a lot of people they decided to make this movie now after actively deciding not to make a Ghostbusters 3 and then force (allegedly) the original cast to cameo in this one (as characters other than their originals, supposedly).

Hear a lot of Ghostbusters fans say they consider the Ghostbusters game as ghostbusters 3, but I've not played it, nor do I care enough.

The only thing I don't get is why they haven't tried in any way to disconnect it from the original. No little tagline under the title or anything. Literally overwriting the original. Don't understand why you'd want to do away with a genuine classic. 

10 hours ago, cosmic said:

You boring old buggers. Let it go.

CjAFHVcXAAA4y6-?format=jpg&name=large

She's not going to get any heroes from this movie though. She might look back at it when she's an adult and laugh at herself for having maybe thought it was passable.

Original cast were heroes. This lot don't seem to do anything heroic, at least based on the plotline from the trailer.

Wow, a lot to respond to there! This is kind of my point - I don’t understand all this aggro towards a film that is clearly aimed at a new generation of kids. I’ll try and include you all in this post, as you all make some very valid and correct points.

Removing the feminist/gender issue for a second (because that is an argument can actually be separated from the point I’m trying to make here), why is everyone so angry Hollywood have decided to reboot a 30 year old franchise? They do it all the time, and it never causes this much of a stir. 

Going back to that image I posted, if you removed the little girl and replaced her with a young lad, the point is still valid. There are generations of kids out there that have never seen the original and couldn’t care less that it exists. Yes, okay I’m sure there are kids out there who have seen and love the original thanks to some fans-turned parents (@TigerTedd) and that's great, but it doesn’t mean there isn’t a market for a reboot. For example, they’ve recently remade Thunderbirds with new, naff-looking CGI, and my mate’s kid loves both that and the old, naff-looking puppets. He's not bothered.

And yes, I agree with you @ramsbottom, of course Hollywood aren’t on some righteous crusade to give little kids heroes (that yes @Anon you’re right, of course aren’t and shouldn't be gender exclusive). They’ve seen an opportunity for a franchise to have a fresh start to a new set of fans to make money. So what? I'm glad you kind of see my point-of-view, @StringerBell, as you had similar apathy towards the Hunger Games. I guess I'm just not that outraged that they're recycling old films again instead of making something new.

As I said, it’s not for our generation, and back to the point of the (yes, gender-charged) image I posted, it doesn’t cheapen any memories you may hold dear from your childhood. We all still have those things and they are untouchable. In fact, I think it would have destroyed the legacy if they tried to do a Ghostbusters 3 with the original cast. This new film is totally off my radar. It doesn't change a thing for me.

20 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Wow, a lot to respond to there! This is kind of my point - I don’t understand all this aggro towards a film that is clearly aimed at a new generation of kids. I’ll try and include you all in this post, as you all make some very valid and correct points.

Removing the feminist/gender issue for a second (because that is an argument can actually be separated from the point I’m trying to make here), why is everyone so angry Hollywood have decided to reboot a 30 year old franchise? They do it all the time, and it never causes this much of a stir. 

Going back to that image I posted, if you removed the little girl and replaced her with a young lad, the point is still valid. There are generations of kids out there that have never seen the original and couldn’t care less that it exists. Yes, okay I’m sure there are kids out there who have seen and love the original thanks to some fans-turned parents (@TigerTedd) and that's great, but it doesn’t mean there isn’t a market for a reboot. For example, they’ve recently remade Thunderbirds with new, naff-looking CGI, and my mate’s kid loves both that and the old, naff-looking puppets. He's not bothered.

And yes, I agree with you @ramsbottom, of course Hollywood aren’t on some righteous crusade to give little kids heroes (that yes @Anon you’re right, of course aren’t and shouldn't be gender exclusive). They’ve seen an opportunity for a franchise to have a fresh start to a new set of fans to make money. So what? I'm glad you kind of see my point-of-view, @StringerBell, as you had similar apathy towards the Hunger Games. I guess I'm just not that outraged that they're recycling old films again instead of making something new.

As I said, it’s not for our generation, and back to the point of the (yes, gender-charged) image I posted, it doesn’t cheapen any memories you may hold dear from your childhood. We all still have those things and they are untouchable. In fact, I think it would have destroyed the legacy if they tried to do a Ghostbusters 3 with the original cast. This new film is totally off my radar. It doesn't change a thing for me.

So in short no ones pissing on our chips, they're just pissing on the chips we were hoping to get for a quarter of a century. I'm only 32 but can vividly remember a conversation I had around 1992 about Ghostbusters 3. 

Surely, with a little empathy, you can see why people are cheesed off even if you aren't?

Your last paragraph made me think of the reaction to the Star Wars prequels, so there is precedent for people saying a franchise is being ruined. "George Lucas ruined my childhood" is often heard. And there have been many bad remakes/reboots in the past.

The thing is having an all female cast sets it up to fail from the start. I mean the lead character from the original was a bit of a lovable rogue so that's one thing were not getting already. We're getting jokes about female insecurity according to the trailer. Great! Can't wait!

And though you think I might be paranoid this is happening at a time when there are many facets of 'nerd culture' that feminists are trying to infiltrate and usurp, be it comic books, computer games or heavy metal. 

I probably won't watch this and, like you, when I think of Ghostbusters it'll be the 80's films. That doesn't mean I'm not annoyed at this. It's not targeted towards me? No, but it should have been.

I think the new Ghostbusters look great, anyone criticising clearly is a sexist misogynist and needs to check their privilege. 

Even the fact that all the white women are all scientists and the black woman isn't portrayed as an expert in any field, that's also coincidental. 

1 minute ago, Red_Dawn said:

I think the new Ghostbusters look great, anyone criticising clearly is a sexist misogynist and needs to check their privilege. 

Even the fact that all the white women are all scientists and the black woman isn't portrayed as an expert in any field, that's also coincidental. 

Haha.

She's an expert in street smarts G.

It was hilarious to see the 'progressives' responsible for this piece of **** hoisted by their own petard when they were being called racists.

Progressives are stuck in two minds. They want to like the film because its empowering to women but at the same time they've portrayed the only black actress in a stereotypical way.

In the Social Justice Warrior priviledge-o-metre, who wins there??

7 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

Progressives are stuck in two minds. They want to like the film because its empowering to women but at the same time they've portrayed the only black actress in a stereotypical way.

Whereas regressives despise empowered women?

Blimey. 

12 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

A lot of them have no problem eating their own. Look how they treated Joss Whedon.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, rynny said:

No words...

That is absolutely incredible. Are we in The Producers? Are they intentionally trying to make this thing flop as part of some scam?

Hopefully Huey Lewis sues them just like he did Ray Parker Junior.

Archived