Newcastle & the derby way

Dubiousmagoo

One of the major areas of criticism, and in fairness there are more than a few, of Newcastle has been based around their transfer policy. The logic behind buying in younger players developing them and then selling them on for a profit makes a lot of business sense. It got me thinking, a lot of what Mel Morris has talked about is the importance of developing players and looking to add value to them. Hence the heavy investment in the facilities at the farm. Are their lessons which need to be learned from Newcastle? Really how many Will Hughes are we able to help nurture. If we get promoted when are we going to give these guys coming through the academy chances to play in the first team. The premier league by its very nature is quintessentially short termist. I think the derby way only works if we stay as a championship team who win more games than then lose. Perhaps not such a bad thing?  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Dubiousmagoo said:

One of the major areas of criticism, and in fairness there are more than a few, of Newcastle has been based around their transfer policy. The logic behind buying in younger players developing them and then selling them on for a profit makes a lot of business sense. It got me thinking, a lot of what Mel Morris has talked about is the importance of developing players and looking to add value to them. Hence the heavy investment in the facilities at the farm. Are their lessons which need to be learned from Newcastle? Really how many Will Hughes are we able to help nurture. If we get promoted when are we going to give these guys coming through the academy chances to play in the first team. The premier league by its very nature is quintessentially short termist. I think the derby way only works if we stay as a championship team who win more games than then lose. Perhaps not such a bad thing?  

Beauty of being in PL is that you can loan your promising players to Championship to develop. So what is our maximum level at the moment, would be just a stepping stone towards the future for the youngsters.

Maybe biggest reason I want us to get promoted! (and of course, seeing Bucko in PL)

38 minutes ago, Dubiousmagoo said:

I don't know how we found Will, but with the so-called big clubs already haven't massive entrenched youth programs I wonder whether we will be feeding off relative scraps.

Didn't chelski have something ludicrous like 45 youth players out on loan? And still win the Youth FA cup......

Just now, HantsRam said:

I don't know how we found Will, but with the so-called big clubs already haven't massive entrenched youth programs I wonder whether we will be feeding off relative scraps.

Didn't chelski have something ludicrous like 45 youth players out on loan? And still win the Youth FA cup......

We found Will at Repton, I believe. Or maybe it was a scout watching Mickleover Jubilee. 

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

When recruiting players into the academy, Derby have so much to offer in terms of set up and a history of giving young players a chance. I think that as a club whether in the Championship or Premier League, we can compete with the majority of the Premier league for young players. Much depends on advice they receive from parents of course. I certainly don't think we will be feeding off scraps.

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

So thats suggestive of a fairly localised scouting policy, which is fine but probably limiting. Can we extend our brand reach beyond the shire?

We signed Timi Max Elsnik (my favourite player in our youth system) from NK Aluminij in Slovenia. Tom Koblenz  from Hoffenheim II, Ivan Calero from Atletico Madrid B

Mostyn's right, Newcastle just managed it badly and got it wrong. Its probably stems from the owner. "That Player from French L2 made us x pounds, do that every time" the way business can tend to be self defeating if its not given proper oversight.

But, you know, the businessman who cut down the last tree on Easter island went to his grave thinking "I had a great return on capital employed in that deal, and that's what matters"

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

With respect he was. 

The only evidence I can find of that is the Daily Mail saying it in an article, where they said he moved from Forest to us at 12... and I don't think he joined us at 12. Pretty sure he joined us when he was 15. 

Can you find me non daily mail evidence of that? Think they're confusing him with someone else, or just straight talking out of their arses. 

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

The only evidence I can find of that is the Daily Mail saying it in an article, where they said he moved from Forest to us at 12... and I don't think he joined us at 12. Pretty sure he joined us when he was 15. 

Can you find me non daily mail evidence of that? Think they're confusing him with someone else, or just straight talking out of their arses. 

Mate I just seem to remember he was at Forest first but I'm not 100 percent on this .

i think the Mail are right though  

Huddlestone was the same I think. 

Its all a bit irrelevant really. 

Just now, curtains said:

Mate I just seem to remember he was at Forest first but I'm not 100 percent on this .

Huddlestone was the same I think. 

Yeah, I don't think he was. Not your fault if the Daily Mail published it but I'm pretty sure they got confused. 

Archived