Academy products in the "matchday" squad this season:

• Grant
  • Hughes
  • Hendrick
  • Hanson
  • Guy (not yet got on)
  • Elsnick (not yet got on)
  • Mitchell

I don't think Rawson/Bennett/Calero have this year but may be mistaken. Lowe would have been in the team if it weren't for his injury.

Think @curtainsis mistaken about Will and this is a myth pedalled by the gumps. Of course he will have checked out the gumps academy at one point and so may have played a couple of games for them,  but I'm pretty sure he's denied being formally attached. And he joined us aged 12.

Mitchell signed by McClaren from Newcastle Academy. Grant has been all over including Burnley and back. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, curtains said:

Paul Jewell snapped up Hendrick from Ireland.  He was already a great prospect before he arrived. 

Can you guess what part of the Derby set up he entered into upon his arrival from Ireland?

13 minutes ago, Anon said:

Can you guess what part of the Derby set up he entered into upon his arrival from Ireland?

Yes 

But all teams develop player prospects further . It's no big deal .

Lee Carsley and Craig Ramage and Paul Wiiliams all played for Derby reserves when we didn't have academies 

They did very well right. 

Phill Gee was another and remember Roger Davies and Jeff Bourne and the great Steve Powell 

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

Selective quoting .

Quote all my reply 

When I first read your reply "Yes" is all that was there. In response to the rest of your post, football has moved on, for the better. If we brought a young player over and failed to offer proper training facilities, no accommodation, no education they would elect to go somewhere else. The days of shoving 16 your old kids into digs and letting them get on with it are gone.

3 minutes ago, Anon said:

When I first read your reply "Yes" is all that was there. In response to the rest of your post, football has moved on, for the better. If we brought a young player over and failed to offer proper training facilities, no accommodation, no education they would elect to go somewhere else. The days of shoving 16 your old kids into digs and letting them get on with it are gone.

Good reply. Thanks. 

They have it all these days. 

Hope we reap the rewards. 

49 minutes ago, curtains said:

Mitchell signed by McClaren from Newcastle Academy. Grant has been all over including Burnley and back. 

Signing from one academy to another academy doesn't effect their status as an academy product. Very few players go with one club from 10 til pro. All of our foreign youngsters will be a product of our academy when they break through, but they've still been signed from other academies

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Signing from one academy to another academy doesn't effect their status as an academy product. Very few players go with one club from 10 til pro. All of our foreign youngsters will be a product of our academy when they break through, but they've still been signed from other academies

Fair enough but did we pay a fee for Mitchell because I think they might of released him and Eric Steele snapped him up. 

I don't see how Newcastle made anything on this ! 

If we paid a fee I can see gain for Newcastle in bringing him through.

Grant had to leave Derby due to lack of first team chances. 

Just now, curtains said:

Fair enough but did we pay a fee for Mitchell because I think they might of released him and Eric Steele snapped him up. 

Grant had to leave Derby due to lack of first team chances. 

Yeah, but became a pro via our academy so is still our product. He's just an old one now. 

6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Yeah, but became a pro via our academy so is still our product. He's just an old one now. 

Don't think Burnley paid anything for Grant .

Anyhow Grant is a success story .

Did Clough buy him back off Burnley or was he  a free out of contract Bosman  signing  

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Don't think Burnley paid anything for Grant .

Anyhow Grant is a success story .

Did Clough buy him back off Burnley or washe  a free out of contract signing  

He was free.

3 hours ago, curtains said:

You can't not count Grant as a product of our academy. Yes he went away, but I would imagine one of the reasons he came back was his deep roots with the club.

Mitchell's a case of when does a player count as a signing or an academy product? Someone like Calero came age 19 and played first team football fairly soon after. But is now a key part of our U21s. Elsnick only arrived last year and I think is only 17 yet has been on the bench. Is that academy progress or was he another transfer in? Mitchell has played a significant number of U21 games for Derby. He's as much our academy product as the others. While we work to improve the standard, decent older youngsters are ineitably going to be coming into the club.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

You can't not count Grant as a product of our academy. Yes he went away, but I would imagine one of the reasons he came back was his deep roots with the club.

Mitchell's a case of when does a player count as a signing or an academy product? Someone like Calero came age 19 and played first team football fairly soon after. But is now a key part of our U21s. Elsnick only arrived last year and I think is only 17 yet has been on the bench. Is that academy progress or was he another transfer in? Mitchell has played a significant number of U21 games for Derby. He's as much our academy product as the others. While we work to improve the standard, decent older youngsters are ineitably going to be coming into the club.

That's fair and a good post  .

Luke Thomas from Cheltenham I would class as coming into Derbys academy and I hope really is going to be a big player for us and will I would imagine be classed as a Derby academy product . 

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Teenage-signing-Luke-Thomas/story-28584545-detail/story.html

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Academy products in the "matchday" squad this season:

• Grant
  • Hughes
  • Hendrick
  • Hanson
  • Guy (not yet got on)
  • Elsnick (not yet got on)
  • Mitchell

I don't think Rawson/Bennett/Calero have this year but may be mistaken. Lowe would have been in the team if it weren't for his injury.

Think @curtainsis mistaken about Will and this is a myth pedalled by the gumps. Of course he will have checked out the gumps academy at one point and so may have played a couple of games for them,  but I'm pretty sure he's denied being formally attached. And he joined us aged 12.

Must have joined us earlier than that. He's barely 13 now. I'm sure he had his debut when he was a sperm. 

In the broadest sense, an Academy product is a signing who starts for us in a team other than the First team squad and then progresses to the First team squad and then plays a game for the first team, even as a sub.

9 hours ago, SaintRam said:

We found Will at Repton, I believe. Or maybe it was a scout watching Mickleover Jubilee. 

I was playing in the mickleover jubilee in the age above. He can't possibly have been spotted there or you'd all have me on the back of your shirts 

On 12 May 2016 at 11:42, SaintRam said:

Yeah, I don't think he was. Not your fault if the Daily Mail published it but I'm pretty sure they got confused. 

Not read the rest of the thread, so could have been answered, but he was definitely at Forest, there's a squad photo of their under 10's knocking about somewhere

Archived