Bent/Weimann on the right?

Posh Ram

In the Sheffield Wednesday and Brighton games, we were rewarded almost instantly when bringing on a striker to play in the front three, with both Bent and Weimann scoring goals. 

Does anybody else think this might suit us as a more permanent tactic? In the game against Hull, for example, our attack will be based on using our speed against their very slow midfield; in a game situation like that it's quite useful to have a pure poacher.

I like Ince but he has a tendency to be a bit ineffective. Our full-backs are brilliant at providing width anyway so I'm not sure if it matters that Bent/Weimann, Martin and Russell are all effectively strikers in this new formation. If he could score a bit more, Weimann would be perfect for the role on the right imo because of his very high workrate. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While our wingers should swap sides during games far more often than they do, it's clear that Ince is far more effective on the left (having finally been moved across). Russell was nominated for Championship Player of the Month recently after his performances on the right, so I'd keep him there. He's pretty speedy.

It was odd not to give Bent, Weimann and Blackman a starting run out against Ipswich, but sadly we can't change that now.

14 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

We switched to a 4-4-2 when Bent came on, almost certain he wasn't playing on the wing.

Indeed!

Perhaps George was injured for a reason. Namely to allow a middle 4 not 3 of Russell, Bryson, Will and Ince behind a front 2 of Martin and Bent.

There's enough pace and skill there to unsettle Hull's hulking midfield trio and disincentivise them from bombing on.

Hopefully Hull would be more unsettled by our new Leicester formation than we would be!

I know some will say 4 4 2 was a failed experiment under Clement - but now we have the fast forward play of Harry Wassall and the skill and tenacity of England's best midfielder (Jack Wilshere?, you are havin' a laugh) to make it work!

Uncle Mel's Master Plan. He knows, you know.

COYR

Id be so annoyed if i was Bent and made to play on the wing id flat out refuse. He's better in the box poaching on the end of crosses... He's been a natural goal scorer all throughout his career and then we'd ask him to play on the wing. He hasnt got it in him to pick up the ball, run at people, link up and put crosses in. He should be on the end of crosses not trying to put them in. Id just simply state ive 106 premier league goals, im not playing on the wing and walk out. 

He isnt a winger 

14 minutes ago, Half fan said:

Indeed!

Perhaps George was injured for a reason. Namely to allow a middle 4 not 3 of Russell, Bryson, Will and Ince behind a front 2 of Martin and Bent.

There's enough pace and skill there to unsettle Hull's hulking midfield trio and disincentivise them from bombing on.

Hopefully Hull would be more unsettled by our new Leicester formation than we would be!

I know some will say 4 4 2 was a failed experiment under Clement - but now we have the fast forward play of Harry Wassall and the skill and tenacity of England's best midfielder (Jack Wilshere?, you are havin' a laugh) to make it work!

Uncle Mel's Master Plan. He knows, you know.

COYR

Midfield trio? We'll be playing a 4-4-1-1 almost certainly, so not sure what our trio is, just in the interest of accuracy. 

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

Id be so annoyed if i was Bent and made to play on the wing id flat out refuse. He's better in the box poaching on the end of crosses... He's been a natural goal scorer all throughout his career and then we'd ask him to play on the wing. He hasnt got it in him to pick up the ball, run at people, link up and put crosses in. He should be on the end of crosses not trying to put them in. Id just simply state ive 106 premier league goals, im not playing on the wing and walk out. 

He isnt a winger 

Funnily enough he put in the best cross of the game on Saturday, he just needed himself to be in the box to tap it in!!

Thorne injury changes things a bit. I don't think a 4-4-2 would be the worst thing in the world against Hull. Martin, Russell and Ince would all have to work really hard defensively but the nature of Hull's midfield (a bit immobile) means we could probably get away with a mismatch of numbers there as a sacrifice for more firepower going forward.

2 hours ago, G-Ram said:

He isnt a winger 

But he is a professional and not a petulant git

Confidence taken a knock though, after scoring vs Wednesday he gets nowt vs Brighton and 20 mins vs Ipswich 

weimann scores vs Brighton and gets Bob all vs Ipswich 

this is all after martins lean spell of 6 games without scoring 

18 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Confidence taken a knock though, after scoring vs Wednesday he gets nowt vs Brighton and 20 mins vs Ipswich 

weimann scores vs Brighton and gets Bob all vs Ipswich 

this is all after martins lean spell of 6 games without scoring 

Friendly or not, Bent scored 2 goals so far today to keep him from being rusty. 

Archived