OUR NEXT MANAGER

plymouthram

3 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Any updates Bris? All gone a bit hush hush.

Maybe he's just guessing? That's probably why it gone quiet.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, I feel as though we are in a difficult position.

From the outside looking in, people in football will look at what happened with Clement and especially if you're a manager, you are probably going to question if you could work with Mel Morris, if you could ever feel secure in your position and if you could have the freedom to bring your own ideas and methods to the table. How in the space of less than 12 months, did the relationship, the faith and the goodwill disintegrate so dramatically? How after such a short time, could they be chapters apart, never mind on the same page, as has been suggested? 

Morris's insistence on the Derby way seems too inflexible to me and in general, the way the team has been set up in recent years seems too inflexible and painfully over-reliant on a certain formation, a certain style with certain players at its core. We love to champion our methods, conveniently smoothing over the fact we have had three consecutive attempts at promotion go up in flames. Does the Derby way work?

We are in the Championship. To get out of it, as Mel aspires to, you need results. Now is it possible we could get results playing an exciting, attacking brand of football? Yes. Can we play this way and get results consistently? To a degree. Are there going to be games where playing this way simply doesn't and won't achieve the desired results? Most certainly. For me, we just lack a plan B and we're so determined to actualise plan A that it could be proving counter-productive in achieving our aims.

For an incoming manager, there isn't very much margin for error now because objectively speaking, top six is the minimum expectation and it's hard to argue that Mel and us fans will be aiming higher next season given the right appointment. Our goals have morphed. Everything has grown - attendances, investment, transfer budgets, wage budgets, the tea lady's number of Instagram followers, expectations. Everything.

So the next manager effectively has to come in, play in the right way and challenge for promotion. Given what transpired with Clement, are you really going to call on a promising young manager like Gary Rowett, Karl Robinson, Darrell Clarke or even our very own Darren Wassall to rise to the challenge and handle that pressure?

We've reached the stage now where our needs are more pressing. The appetite for promotion and a return to the Premier League won't have dissipated. The stench of repeated failure and bad decision-making still lingers by the underwater treadmills. This all makes it seem unlikely that we will leave anything to chance this time.

And so our pool of potential managers is extremely thin, especially given the competition. You have Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest, Leeds, Blackburn, Rotherham and possibly Newcastle in our division alone who are all looking to appoint.

Mel speaks of a long-term vision and an identity for the club, but to be honest, I think he would be best served rolling up his blueprints and just getting in a manager who has proven himself capable of delivering the goods.

Step forward, King Billy. :ph34r::lol::D:p

Joking aside, I would have gone for Chris Hughton. But he has recently committed himself to a new contract at Brighton and to be honest, I think he would see it as a sideways step in his career.

I also like the job Michael Laudrup did at Swansea and the style of football they played is very much in line with the Derby way. But he has no experience of managing in the Championship, so it would be just as much of a gamble as Robinson, Clarke or Rowett in that respect. I would put Sherwood in the same bracket as the aforementioned three - young, promising but not the right time or the right move for him.

I could see Nigel Pearson being quite a logical choice, but so could three or four clubs in our division, perhaps?

For me, I'd go for Roberto Martinez.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

I also like the job Michael Laudrup did at Swansea and the style of football they played is very much in line with the Derby way. 

If he's on the list then I'd take him ASAP... Decent manager 

14 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

For me, I feel as though we are in a difficult position.

From the outside looking in, people in football will look at what happened with Clement and especially if you're a manager, you are probably going to question if you could work with Mel Morris, if you could ever feel secure in your position and if you could have the freedom to bring your own ideas and methods to the table. How in the space of less than 12 months, did the relationship, the faith and the goodwill disintegrate so dramatically? How after such a short time, could they be chapters apart, never mind on the same page, as has been suggested? 

Morris's insistence on the Derby way seems too inflexible to me and in general, the way the team has been set up in recent years seems too inflexible and painfully over-reliant on a certain formation, a certain style with certain players at its core. We love to champion our methods, conveniently smoothing over the fact we have had three consecutive attempts at promotion go up in flames. Does the Derby way work?

We are in the Championship. To get out of it, as Mel aspires to, you need results. Now is it possible we could get results playing an exciting, attacking brand of football? Yes. Can we play this way and get results consistently? To a degree. Are there going to be games where playing this way simply doesn't and won't achieve the desired results? Most certainly. For me, we just lack a plan B and we're so determined to actualise plan A that it could be proving counter-productive in achieving our aims.

For an incoming manager, there isn't very much margin for error now because objectively speaking, top six is the minimum expectation and it's hard to argue that Mel and us fans will be aiming higher next season given the right appointment. Our goals have morphed. Everything has grown - attendances, investment, transfer budgets, wage budgets, the tea lady's number of Instagram followers, expectations. Everything.

So the next manager effectively has to come in, play in the right way and challenge for promotion. Given what transpired with Clement, are you really going to call on a promising young manager like Gary Rowett, Karl Robinson, Darrell Clarke or even our very own Darren Wassall to rise to the challenge and handle that pressure?

We've reached the stage now where our needs are more pressing. The appetite for promotion and a return to the Premier League won't have dissipated. The stench of repeated failure and bad decision-making still lingers by the underwater treadmills. This all makes it seem unlikely that we will leave anything to chance this time.

And so our pool of potential managers is extremely thin, especially given the competition. You have Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest, Leeds, Blackburn, Rotherham and possibly Newcastle in our division alone who are all looking to appoint.

Mel speaks of a long-term vision and an identity for the club, but to be honest, I think he would be best served rolling up his blueprints and just getting in a manager who has proven himself capable of delivering the goods.

Step forward, King Billy. :ph34r::lol::D:p

Bit pessimistic maybe. I think to an outsider/ambitious manager, Derby is probably the best prospect of all the larger clubs in the Championship at the minute. Significant financial backing but without the fan entitlement that Villa, Newcastle, Leeds & (laughably) Forest will have to get up.

Totally agree that a manager with a proven track record is the direction we need to go - this is not a job for a rookie manager or a manager who prides ideology/set way of playing over results. The composition of the squad naturally lends itself to a passing style (so we're unlikely to go hoofball) but the addition of a couple new faces to change the style is all that might be needed to get those precious handful of victories to finish us in the top 2.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Anyway lets get back on topic, I don't like to be FALSELY accused. The guys on the other DCFC forum reckon it's Tim Sherwood, what are your thoughts on him?

http://boards.footymad.net/derbycounty-mad/2109345458/?pg=1#A5Z51WcUgeHjpZJA.97

Not really experienced at this level, but has masses of passion, if he can pass some of it onto our team players, he'll be OK?

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

Am I on dcfcfans or am I in a classroom of 7 year olds?

Its important this manager apparently, forget the past 50 managers we've had, this one is the most important and it could lead to the world ending if we get it wrong... until we after appoint another one in a few years.. or months if its a Clement.

Just don't want Tim Sherwood.

But it does seem that Mel wants a youngish manager who wants to proove himself and wants to grow with the club.

I applaud Mel for wanting some sort of sustainability and longevity with a manager who can help grow the club.

It seems with so many people right now, promotion is the be all and end all for this club.

Which brings about so much pressure.... and if we get it.. then the new be all and end all will be surviving relegation and again when the going gets tough the pressure to sack whoever is in charge will be there.

2 minutes ago, Papahet said:

I'd rather stick with Wassall than Sherwood come in.

What does Sherwood have over Wassall on his managerial CV? Wouldn't make any sense

Managed two premiership clubs, alright didn't do too well, but managed higher up........

I didn't buy into the "we need appoint someone immediately, or we'll lose out" chorus that was a central theme of the last Moan-In of the season. If a manager is available or potentially available, and is remotely interested in joining us, his agent will have no doubt sent his c.v. into Mel for consideration in the past 3 months, since PC got the bullet.

The only urgency will be if is one of those interested candidates is likely to be made an offer elsewhere, in which case their agent will have been straight onto the phone to Derby to either try to strike a potentially better deal for said manager or to confirm that Derby are no longer interested.

It is always going to be a gamble on whoever gets appointed - whether it is because they are un-proven as a manager, unproven in the championship or may have their heads turned by a  potentially better offer.

Archived