Jordan Ayew

Nijul_cluff

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3537579/Jordan-Ayew-target-Derby-win-promotion-Harry-Redknapp-eyes-striker.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Derby County have joined the clubs showing interest in Aston Villa striker Jordan Ayew.

The Ghana international is also wanted by West Ham as they weigh up striker options for the summer.

Villa paid £9.6million for the 24-year-old former Lorient forward and he has scored six goals this season, all in the club's futile pursuit of Premier League survival. 

They would want to recoup their money but may have to take less with the player ready to move on as part of the club's summer overhaul.

Derby, who visit Charlton this weekend, are fifth in the Championship under the new-look management team of Darren Wassall and Harry Redknapp and the purchase of Ayew would likely hinge on them gaining promotion.

Redknapp is a confirmed fan of Ayew and maintains he is a player who deserves to be playing in the top flight. 

West Ham manager Slaven Bilic admires the way Ayew has worked for his goals this season and was not put off by Ayew's show of indiscipline earlier this season when he was sent off for elbowing Aaron Cresswell during Villa's 2-0 defeat at the Boleyn Ground

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is more a sign that the Daily Mail like to just put 2 and 2 together, regardless of the outcome. Redknapp has previously been public on his praise of Ayew, when pundiiting or whatever, and now has a position at Derby.

Ergo, Debry are interested in Ayew.

Don't think there's anything in it to be honest. 

15 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Would be pleased with this though, he's a good player at an awful club. 

Although, how would he fit in our system? We don't want another striker on the wing.

Didn't he play in a front three before? hes probably the kind of player we should have gone for instead of a down the middle striker like blackman

14 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Would be pleased with this though, he's a good player at an awful club. 

Although, how would he fit in our system? We don't want another striker on the wing.

Not sure we could rely on the Martin system in the prem. Simply based on the fact that he's rarely performed when given the opportunity to play against higher level defenders.

Only 'not sure' though. We'd need a lot of players, including Martin, to improve if we went up just like any promoted team needs. It would just make sense to target people acknowledging the potential for a change in system.

2 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Didn't he play in a front three before? hes probably the kind of player we should have gone for instead of a down the middle striker like blackman

Really?

Blackman didn't play down the middle at Reading. Thought this had been done 100 times now.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Really?

Blackman didn't play down the middle at Reading. Thought this had been done 100 times now.

He didn't play as a down the middle striker, but a striker playing behind the central striker/ or an attacking midfielder. Either way the point I'm making is Ayew is a versatile striker.

2 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

He didn't play as a down the middle striker, but a striker playing behind the central striker/ or an attacking midfielder. Either way the point I'm making is Ayew is a versatile striker.

Blackman scored 7 of his 11 goals from the right wing. 

You're right though, Ayew is versatile. 

10 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Not sure we could rely on the Martin system in the prem. Simply based on the fact that he's rarely performed when given the opportunity to play against higher level defenders.

Only 'not sure' though. We'd need a lot of players, including Martin, to improve if we went up just like any promoted team needs. It would just make sense to target people acknowledging the potential for a change in system.

Yeah, for what it's worth, I agree although wouldn't mind keeping Martin in the side. 

I actually think a Leicester-style 4-4-2 could suit us quite well - Martin as Okazaki, dropping back into midfield, Ayew/similar as Vardy, offering pace up front. 

3 hours ago, Dale The Ram said:

If we are looking for a winger i'd sooner get Jordan Ibe, yes Ayew is a quality player but Ibe has the quality and potential to really progress here at Derby

I'd like to think he's the sort of ambitious signing we'd chase. Proven quality with the potential to be even better, not a constant starter in Liverpool's side so a move might not be out of the question, no matter how highly Liverpool rate him?

I think these threads are ludicrous. Fun, but ludicrous.

Go up or stay down, then the options become clearer. I don't blame the club for planning either way, but I can't get too excited until I know which market we're shopping in.

Im all for ambition and going for it but we do realise were Derby County... we will not be buying Ibe or Ayew 

Even if we go up its a case of West Ham are intrested in you and Derby would you rather play for an established premiership side knocking on the door of europen football and live in London. Or sign for a managerless newly promoted side and live in Derby 

1 hour ago, needles said:

I think these threads are ludicrous. Fun, but ludicrous.

Go up or stay down, then the options become clearer. I don't blame the club for planning either way, but I can't get too excited until I know which market we're shopping in.

I think thats what must have happened last time we went up. We were linked with championship players before we went up so Billy was like, "can't have the papers looking like liars" so he signed a load of championship standard players. That's got to be it... I need to find a reason for those signings godamit!!!!!!!!

Archived