Play Off's or not to play offs

Russell Ram

We are 2 points ahead of 7th, not playing great, but in the mix non the less being 6th and all that. With Hull up we could be out the top 6 yet we also have Bolton coming next week too....

So who thinks we will hang on in there and finish top 6? For my two penneth I think we will just miss out again, either 7th or 8th. Anyone feeling better about us then me right now?!

Either way, this club needs a shake up this summer. New manager is vital and some of the toss players we have bought need to begone. Who an earth would buy them is anyone's guess though.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F the play offs.

Current state of football, this side is worse than the one we went up with under Davies and Gadsby.

I just hope MM have the bottle not to give DW the job next season. If he doesn't we can say bye bye to the dream even before 10 games have been played.

--------

Adding on... I wouldn't even want to go up just for the new money coming into football either. F the 100 million for finishing bottom.

Well, Cardiff and Weds have slightly easier run ins than us and are on better form so I think we'll probably finish 7th.

I think with a manager the players respect who gets the maximum from each of them and blends them into a unit our squad will have a great chance next season.

It's a tough run in, Hull, Brighton, Ipswich and Sheff Wed all to play. With how we are and have been playing I'm not confident and it kills me to say that. I think it will be a very interesting summer, some big clubs could potentially be looking for a new manager, Villa, Newcastle, Boro not to mention clubs in the premiership who have underachieved this year. I just hope we haven't missed the boat when it comes to appointing a new one ourselves.  

Recently i've said that we wouldn't win the play offs,if we lose to Hull then I can see another end of season bottle job.

I hope that MM has a good Manager/ Coach/miracle worker lined up as I think this squad needs a complete overhaul,

With Villa and possibly the two north east teams in the mix next season it's going to be tougher than this season IMO.

Still,we might go up this season hey :whistle:

For the sake of getting a decent head coach/manager I want us to escape the play-offs starting by getting smashed by Hull on Tuesday.

Ive got no connection to the team NOR the manager anymore. At least with Clement I bought into his philosophy.

Sorry to use the "c" word above - I do realise he's been gone several months now.

7 minutes ago, Brighton Ram said:

Well, Cardiff and Weds have slightly easier run ins than us and are on better form so I think we'll probably finish 7th.

I think with a manager the players respect who gets the maximum from each of them and blends them into a unit our squad will have a great chance next season.

If you are suggesting that any players are giving less than 100% because they don't respect DW then they should be sold now.

I cant see us making the play offs. All my optimism is draining away. Its been the strangest of seasons. Surely, surely, surely, Mel wont appoint waffle as permanent manager. Surely ?

Anyway, just paid £1300 to renew the season tickets. Lets hope for a good one.

I don't think we're playing well enough to make the play offs. I think we'll finish in almost the same position as last season, but I'm much less confident for the future. Last season, even though we had a dreadful final few months, I was very confident that McClaren and the group of players we had were easily capable of pushing for automatic promotion in the next campaign. Right now I couldn't tell you if we're even capable of finishing in the top half next season. Wassall won't be given the job full time, but there are no realistic candidates to replace him that I find particularly inspiring. Our squad is bloated and the players we should be looking to get rid of are all relatively new signings on big contracts that no other club will be stupid enough to match. So we're either stuck with them or we will have to pay most of their wages whilst loaning them out. The thing that really concerns me is the possibility that we will have to sell some of the family silver (Hughes, Thorne) in order to cover the losses being racked up on the dross signed this season.

The play offs should be a minimum with this team, we have the same ore as under Mac, and we're top of the league not so long ago, losing only 2 games in the first half of the season.

What has happened since is another wheels off the bus disaster, last season we had the Newcastle debacle, sacking our manager at the end of the season for not showing commitment, when if that was the case should have done it months earlier.  This season we sacked our manager for not playing the Derby way, and replaced him with someone who doesn't know what way to play let alone the Derby one.  

Seven games left and somehow we have managed to balls up our season in 2 months, from being 8 points clear of play offs and only a couple behind autos to where we are now is a disaster.  The players themselves must be wondering what is going on to, does anyone think they have confidence in the manager, and I wonder how many think beyond that and the possibility that they might have to work under him again next season.  Add into the mix, bringing in another manager to work as a "consultant", who takes a couple of weeks out to go and manage Jordan, it's no surprise the wheels have fallen off so spectacularly, the club needs stability, someone who can come in and take charge of the situation of the players, not Mr Motivator, he is not going to work.

Sadly I feel with Morris at the helm, we will get someone who won't rock the boat, someone who will welcome him on the training ground, and listen to his input, not tell him when he disagrees with him, not play youth players when they are not good enough, which is why DW was given the job and is still in it.  

54 minutes ago, Russell Ram said:

We are 2 points ahead of 7th, not playing great, but in the mix non the less being 6th and all that. With Hull up we could be out the top 6 yet we also have Bolton coming next week too....

So who thinks we will hang on in there and finish top 6? For my two penneth I think we will just miss out again, either 7th or 8th. Anyone feeling better about us then me right now?!

Either way, this club needs a shake up this summer. New manager is vital and some of the toss players we have bought need to begone. Who an earth would buy them is anyone's guess though.

After watching Cardiff today we should make the play offs. 

I'd rather we didn't get into the playoffs and I don't think we will. I think we'd embarrass ourselves in the Premiership - not quite as badly as last time, but we would be poor with this "team" all the same. I expect us to be hammered by Hull but looking at the table it might take a couple of games for us to drop out since Cardiff have a tough game they are unlikely to win next time as well.

I don't want us to accidentally limp into the premier league like we did with Billy - we at least need to look relatively competent in the Championship if we don't want to get hammered every week in the Premier League. Hopefully failing to make the playoffs makes Mel think properly about the new manager and also leads to an overhaul of our transfers department.

38 minutes ago, Anon said:

I don't think we're playing well enough to make the play offs. I think we'll finish in almost the same position as last season, but I'm much less confident for the future. Last season, even though we had a dreadful final few months, I was very confident that McClaren and the group of players we had were easily capable of pushing for automatic promotion in the next campaign. Right now I couldn't tell you if we're even capable of finishing in the top half next season. Wassall won't be given the job full time, but there are no realistic candidates to replace him that I find particularly inspiring. Our squad is bloated and the players we should be looking to get rid of are all relatively new signings on big contracts that no other club will be stupid enough to match. So we're either stuck with them or we will have to pay most of their wages whilst loaning them out. The thing that really concerns me is the possibility that we will have to sell some of the family silver (Hughes, Thorne) in order to cover the losses being racked up on the dross signed this season.

That is my main worry. Too many players on wages other teams cannot afford so we are stuck with them. Weimann must be on a whack etc. Plus who would want him and players like him anyway?

14 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I'd rather we didn't get into the playoffs and I don't think we will. I think we'd embarrass ourselves in the Premiership - not quite as badly as last time, but we would be poor with this "team" all the same. I expect us to be hammered by Hull but looking at the table it might take a couple of games for us to drop out since Cardiff have a tough game they are unlikely to win next time as well.

I don't want us to accidentally limp into the premier league like we did with Billy - we at least need to look relatively competent in the Championship if we don't want to get hammered every week in the Premier League. Hopefully failing to make the playoffs makes Mel think properly about the new manager and also leads to an overhaul of our transfers department.

If we got promotion,which think is highly unlikely,we would have a nightmare experience Finish the season with a measly £100 million or thereabouts,not knowing what to do with it.Apart from building up a strong scouting network,likewise the Academy,buy a few key players ,and when we are set up,with a good young,progressive manager take them all on and do a" Leicester" on them,make Derby great again. Nah,sounds a crap idea,it would definitely not be the Derbyway. 

Sorry chaps I think the seasons over, & probably just as well really. We are not moving forward in any shape or manner right now, there's no point kidding ourselves on that score. 

From a summer of great promise & investment, we have just gone backwards after the first 23 games of the season, when we were three points clear at the top of the table & playing good football. If Mel Morris has any respect for the owe so loyal Derby fans, he should explain very soon & honestly what has gone wrong this season under his stewardship, because we certainly aren't being told.

Do you really need to be "told" what has gone wrong?

form your own opinions and stick by them. You don't have to wait for the club to tell you what to think, because when they do you will probably say its all spin anyway.

you seem an intelligent poster and I'm sure you have a good idea and understanding of the game to form your own ideas.

18 minutes ago, TETRA said:

Sorry chaps I think the seasons over, & probably just as well really. We are not moving forward in any shape or manner right now, there's no point kidding ourselves on that score. 

From a summer of great promise & investment, we have just gone backwards after the first 23 games of the season, when we were three points clear at the top of the table & playing good football. If Mel Morris has any respect for the owe so loyal Derby fans, he should explain very soon & honestly what has gone wrong this season under his stewardship, because we certainly aren't being told.

Maybe undermining PC, telling PC he had to change the way team was playing (and winning) , telling PC to focus on other things other than winning league points.  And MM not appreciating PC wanted to minor ly not obey the great MM and just wanted to get us promoted......the thing we all want.

If MM wanted to be controversial and undermine and dismiss PC he should have done so at the end of the season when we were promoted. Yes fans may have been unhappy for PC to get us up, and then be fired. But being in the Premier League there are many managers who would want to manage us, that would not touch us in the Championship.

killing a second season in succession is frankly a disgrace.  Something has occurred two seasons running. A massive implosion.  The PC poor run of form happened after MM started to object to PC methods of winning games. MM was constantly in weekly or bi weekly meetings complaining PC was nt doing it the right way.   PC is no fool. Removing weight machines from a gymn ...... His decision. PC likely did it to annoy MM.  Says something that MM should be so involved in how a first team gets coached and trained and made fit. 

We needed MM investment. Shame we did not still have Sam pulling the strings as much as he used to. No Board to oversee and keep a chain of command in place.

Archived