Scores on the doors

i-Ram

Got to give 6.5 out of ten at this point but with the proviso that I fully believe he will get it right and go on to be 10 out of 10 reasons?

1. He one of us , loves the club. ( we would do well to always keep that in mind

2. He has the doe and ain't afraid to use it to take Derby forward

3. No one builds a business and fortune by being a mug unable to learn on the job and correct any mistakes made along the way.

4 he is obviously a driven and determined man when it comes to setting and achieving goals,, his goal is to make Derby a perennial prem club

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The club as a whole is in an absolutely brilliant position. The investment in the structure of the academy, the training facilities and the overall financial position of the club is in my opinion being underestimated hugely. We are currently a top half premier league set up with an under performing team. 

Despite what some say I also think we have top players for this division. Mel has been very brave and generous in backing DCFC. It's true he has made some mistakes, who doesn't, but overall our future looks brilliant. When this comes good, and it will, it's going to be exciting.  Based on all of this I would give Mel 9/10.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

You start with a perfect 10 then deduct for each faux pas as appropriate.

So we're about down to 2 now. I must confess that I deducted one for each sausage and rasher I didn't get.

Its certainly a method. I started middle of the road - 5, then added or subtracted 1 for each what I considered to be major decision and whether it seemed to be good or bad.

I ended up back at 5 (plus 3 and minus 3).

(thought when i started I'd end up at about 3, which is close to pi but then thought that score might be more appropriate for forest's version of this analysis given they have reid on their coaching staff)

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Its certainly a method. I started middle of the road - 5, then added or subtracted 1 for each what I considered to be major decision and whether it seemed to be good or bad.

I ended up back at 5 (plus 3 and minus 3).

(thought when i started I'd end up at about 3, which is close to pi but then thought that score might be more appropriate for forest's version of this analysis given they have reid on their coaching staff)

I would have accepted pi as a replacement for sausages.

9 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Eddie - Out of interest, what score would you get using your method if you declared a breakfast amnesty?

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The club as a whole is in an absolutely brilliant position. The investment in the structure of the academy, the training facilities and the overall financial position of the club is in my opinion being underestimated hugely. We are currently a top half premier league set up with an under performing team. 

Despite what some say I also think we have top players for this division. Mel has been very brave and generous in backing DCFC. It's true he has made some mistakes, who doesn't, but overall our future looks brilliant. When this comes good, and it will, it's going to be exciting.  Based on all of this I would give Mel 9/10.

The only thing lacking at this point is the manager/ head coach to ignite us ,once Mel gets that one right its lift off, we all have opinions on who is right for that post but in the end it will have to be someone who Mel can work with as well as being up to the job ,, the reason I think Mel is getting stick is we all know we are so bloody close 

10 hours ago, i-Ram said:

There is much on this forum about the management and direction of the club, but much of it is wordy and open to interpretation and nuance. Let's cut to the chase, and keep it brief. Like we do our players each week, let's give Mel a score out of 10 based on performance since takeover.  I think a 6 for me, but perhaps generous? What do you guys think?

What a puerile thread. To subject something as complicated as the ownership of a football club with all it's different facets, such as managerial decisions, transfer investment and academy plans is ridiculous. It is symptomatic of this youtube/fail/reality tv generation that you would want to distill a qualitative analysis into a banal quantative snapshot that veers wildly up and down based purely on the latest result. 

I'd give him a 6.

Oh for heaven's sake, good game, good game. Chin up! Scores please panel.

Bruno: "I just don't know which way Mel's going to turn. So it's a very disappointing 1 from me".

Craig: "DEESASTROUS DARLING. Minus 3 from me"

Darcy: "I love your style Mel and how you hold your head up so well during your quick steps. But do try and keep in tune better and work closer with your partner".

Len: "Look, the techniqiue may need some finessing but the entertainment value is terrific. So it's a 10 from Len".

6/10 for me.

Not doubting his passion for the club and his willingness to put his money where his mouth is.

However, too much contradiction and rhetoric for me. Setting a vision of establishing the club for the long term, an emphasis on youth and creating a culture of hard work, attacking football and a strong team spirit throughout the club (all I completely get behind) but then to contradict all these by allowing Clement or whoever to pretty much ignore the vision and completely disrupt the whole club within 6 months or so seems a huge mistake to me. 

Hard to lay all the blame for that at Mel's door, I just don't quite understand how that was all allowed to happen. Credit to him for recognising the direction of travel and getting rid of Clement though.

Much potential here and a chairman most clubs would dream of. Just feel we've gone backwards in the last 2 years and so Mel has to take a fair whack of responsibility for that. If we can get the next appointment right and get back on the right track his mark will shoot up.

Right now, a 3, maybe a 4/10.

He's spent money, that's it. It doesn't seem to have improved us at all. They say money doesn't buy you success, but £25mil in this league, managed correctly, will go a pretty long way to doing just that.

Questionable decisions, appearing in the revealing of every season, he seems to be a man who wants people to know what he's doing here, and is ready to take the praise of any success we eventually have. I'd like him to be a bit like Steve Gibson in the sense his heart is there, his money's there, but he takes a back-seat approach.

Take me back to 2013/14 any day of the week. Look at the context of where we were, what we did in that season, it was fantastic. Now look at the context of where we were at the start of the season and what we've done. It's been dreadful.

A solid 7/10.

Mistakes have been made, but learning from them is the key. He learned from the mistakes from when Billy was here by removing PC for fear that  we were turning into that team. I think we needed to be more cute in the transfer market, I understand the thinking behind each signing just question some of the players bought and whether we could have got better for our money with 1 or 2 and possibly gone for a loan or 2 instead buying.

12 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Pretty much nailed your spot at Harry & Mel's summer BBQ I would say Scarlet. They might even let you their side of the privet hedge.

Archived