Defensive midfielder

Derbyram1

Sorry if this has mentioned before but why do we insist on sticking with a CDM? Wolves offered very little up top yet we stuck with it, we clearly aren't confident in the back 4 if they need constant protection.

Most teams we play against lineup with a single striker but still we play the defensive midfielder, why not swap CDM for a CF (maybe a role Martin could play) with Blackman/Bent up top??

Anyway, rant over.....

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big issue of last season was pushing the full backs up and splitting the 2 centre halves which lead to a shed load of goals being conceded as we didn't have a CDM worthy of the name (Mascarell was a deep lying play-maker, there was no "D" in his game).

we seem to be doing this again, so I guess in order to avoid a repeat we are dropping back the CDM so its almost as though we are playing a 3-4-3. On saturday I noticed Jonny seemed to be starting in our half rather than the oppositions so it was almost like a 3-5-2, but completely imbalanced as the 2 up fron were one central and one wide left.

All looks a bit of a mess in truth.

I think its because it seemed to work before.... 4-1-4-1, when PC came and said about horses for courses i was excited as i believed in that philosophy, but sadly we saw the result... whether it was poor acquisitions or players not being able to adapt or poor management will be long debated, but until we get a new quality manager we wont move forward, as the players seem de motivated and out of sorts, eg Bradley Johnson, rave reviews months ago, and a waste of space now according to some..... to me he's a prime example of the players thing 'wtf ?' like the rest of us, The clubs in turmoil, would you function 100% at work if you could see the wheels coming off at every corner ?

Against Wolves, Thorne may well of been part of a back 3 as he spent most of his time about 1 foot away from Keogh/Shackell.

Against Blackburn, Hanson was trying to find a balance of defending and attacking but spent most the game watching the ball sail over his head courtesy of Blackburns hideous long ball tactics.

On neither occasion did our management(???) realise that the holding role was a waste of a player. We were screaming out for 2 strikers on Saturday, I actually felt sorry for Martin trying to hold the ball & win flick-ons & score goals all by himself.

27 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

Against Wolves, Thorne may well of been part of a back 3 as he spent most of his time about 1 foot away from Keogh/Shackell.

Against Blackburn, Hanson was trying to find a balance of defending and attacking but spent most the game watching the ball sail over his head courtesy of Blackburns hideous long ball tactics.

On neither occasion did our management(???) realise that the holding role was a waste of a player. We were screaming out for 2 strikers on Saturday, I actually felt sorry for Martin trying to hold the ball & win flick-ons & score goals all by himself.

Might have helped him if the inside forwards had occasionally been within 30 yards of him, but perhaps we've given up on that tactic?

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

4-4-2. Perhaps it's time to finally throw the last vestiges of the 13/14 side on the fire. Go with Butters and Thorne in the middle, Johnson left, Hendrick right, bent and Blackman top. Maybe Camara right wing because he is warrior. Hi

Suggests we stop looking back at 13/14 4-3-3

Instead suggests we look back to the classic Clough 12/13 4CMs in a 4 man midfield.

Vintage. Classic. Retro. Can't wait to finish 10th again. 

Going round in circles.

Well, what we're doing now ain't working and a number of our newer signings were at their best in 4-4-2 teams. It might be sacrilege, but give up for on the best of Thorne and Martin to try to get more from BJ, Butters, Blackman, Bent,Ince,Camara. I make chilli beef out of sacred cows with this post, but will I end up with the squits? To be clear, based on Thorne not being properly fit and Martin being iffy in form.I do not underestimate those two.

6 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

Thorne is not fit and even by his own admission is not playing well!

Hansen is not ready for the responsibility of that role.

Hendrick/Butters/Johnson cant play CDM.

Surely this is a chance for us to try something different, what have got to lose?

Why is Hanson not ready? He looked ready enough against Blackburn to me.

2 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

Really? He lasted 60mins in a game against a poor Blackburn team....hardly world beating stuff is it.

He was taken off, wrongly in my opinion, was definitely one of our better players on the night.

Surely you judge a player in his own merits rather than who we are playing against?

2 hours ago, Derbyram1 said:

PC and DW are ruining Martin. Yes he may act like a sulky child sometimes but he has been a brilliant free transfer and is suffering from poor play behind him...

miles behind him!

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

He was taken off, wrongly in my opinion, was definitely one of our better players on the night.

Surely you judge a player in his own merits rather than who we are playing against?

His fitness level as with the rest of the team is shocking, he was taken off against Blackburn as he was knackered.

We all have our opinions but I don't share the fact he was good against Blackburn, if he played so well then why did our 2 central defenders have to deal with every ball? Should his role be one of someone that protects the back 4?? On which occasion did he do this??

Archived